The Student Room Group

M1 June 6th 2013

The exam is tomorrow, how is everybody feeling?

Hopefully this exam is straight forward by the WJEC, no silly coalescing particles like in January :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should be fun. I've got M2 straight after too, so I probably ought to be revising right now.
Reply 2
How did everybody find that?

I found that very easy and straight forward, although i do believe the WJEC managed to trick me once again (question 7 resolving forces - i didn't consider the 5kg mass).

Other than that, very good but i did get quite a few decimal place answers.
Reply 3
it was okay, i didnt do moments coz i've never understood that topic

for the Mass of the elevator I got 736kg, but i think i forgot to minus the persons mass -.- just realised that
for the center of gravity i got (6.5,4.2) and the acceleration for a question that i dont remember i got a=1.61
Reply 4
a = 1.4ms
422m

U= 18.9
T=4seconds?

T= 40.95N
Coefficient of friction 0.3
the bodies will not move

Mass of elevator 736kg
Reaction 600N

Were we meant to include 5g on q7?
18degrees angle?

Moments weight of rock is 3kg?
Reaction c was 33.6

U is 5.5 for collisions?
Coefficient of Restitution 10/11

Centre of mass I had 3.67 for y I think, 5.05 for X?
I didn't like that last question, hopefully got some working marks :/

anyone get the same?
(edited 10 years ago)
These are the answers I got. Tried to memorize as much as possible.

1a) -1.4ms
b) 422m

2a) No answer
b) 600N

3a) Showed u=15.9ms
b) 22.9 seconds

4a) 40.95N
c) 0.3 and 50.something N

5a)1.08cm
b) 3kg for M

6a) 5.5ms
b) 0.75ms for rebound

7) Couldn't do Resultant force got angle to be 36?

8a) x=5.02cm
y=3.81cm
b) 3.81cm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I thought the paper was okay, but probably made some basic mistakes. Here's what I got if I remember correctly:

1b 1.4m/s
1c 422m

2a 736kg
2b 600N

3b Time = 4s

4a T= 40.95, Coefficient of Friction = 0.3
4b Bodies will remain stationary, T=Weight of B = 5g = 49N

5ai Reaction at C = 33.6N
5aii x = 1.08m
5b M = 3Kg

6a u=5.5m/s
6b Coefficient of Restitution = 10/11
6c impulse = 15 Ns
6d V = 0.75m/s (for rebound)

7a R =75sqrt2, angle = 8.1 degrees
7b a=15sqrt2 m/s^2

Not sure about 8, can't remember, does anyone have a copy of the paper they can upload/take a photo of?

Also, in question 8, was the circle added to the lamina or removed from it?

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Visvim

Thanks.

Pretty sure it was removed! That's what I did anyway :smile:

I thought this exam was pretty standard, there wasn't a question that really threw me, and I managed to get reasonable answers to everything! No particles on an inclined plane either, which are my worst area!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Beths_7
Pretty sure it was removed! That's what I did anyway :smile:

I thought this exam was pretty standard, there wasn't a question that really threw me, and I managed to get reasonable answers to everything! No particles on an inclined plane either, which are my worst area!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whew! That's what I did :smile: just couldn't remember reading it was removed. Yes the paper seemed shorter than previous papers and like you mentioned no particles on an inclined plane which was unusual. No find the angle when lamina is freely suspended from a point either.
Reply 9
Original post by Visvim

No find the angle when lamina is freely suspended from a point either.

Yeah I disappointed by that - I couldn't do those questions so spent a while going over them last night! :frown: but I think the exam went okay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Visvim
I thought the paper was okay, but probably made some basic mistakes. Here's what I got if I remember correctly:

1b 1.4m/s
1c 422m

2a 736kg
2b 600N

3b Time = 4s

4a T= 40.95, Coefficient of Friction = 0.3
4b Bodies will remain stationary, T=Weight of B = 5g = 49N

5ai Reaction at C = 33.6N
5aii x = 1.08m
5b M = 3Kg

6a u=5.5m/s
6b Coefficient of Restitution = 10/11
6c impulse = 15 Ns
6d V = 0.75m/s (for rebound)

7a R =75sqrt2, angle = 8.1 degrees
7b a=15sqrt2 m/s^2

Not sure about 8, can't remember, does anyone have a copy of the paper they can upload/take a photo of?

Thanks.

I got all the same except q7...i had 8.1 degrees but that was without including the mass of the particle (5g) after I noticed I re did it and got about 18degrees.
Were we meant to include the mass of the particle?
And then the speed cam out as 22 I think

Q8 the circle was taken out
Reply 11
Original post by _Morsey_

I found that very easy and straight forward, although i do believe the WJEC managed to trick me once again (question 7 resolving forces - i didn't consider the 5kg mass).

Was it right to include the mass of the particle? 5g
I didn't at first but went back and changed it :smile:
Sounds like a nice paper :emo: wish I'd done this one...
Reply 13
Original post by mo_sudani
Was it right to include the mass of the particle? 5g
I didn't at first but went back and changed it :smile:

I think you were meant to, but i forgot.

Also did another stupid error for the lift question, stupidly when doing F=ma, i used the 7500N tension as the mass :facepalm:
Reply 14
Original post by mo_sudani
I got all the same except q7...i had 8.1 degrees but that was without including the mass of the particle (5g) after I noticed I re did it and got about 18degrees.
Were we meant to include the mass of the particle?

I didn't include the mass of the particle on my answer to part 1, (needed mass to calculate acceleration in part 2), from what I remember the forces were acting horizontally on a particle in one plane (ie the diagram was a 'birds eye' view of the forces acting on the particle, so all forces were parallel to the surface the particle was on), so weight of the particle would be perpendicular to the forces on the diagram.

However after the reactions I've heard from people I am not sure about this and would like to check the question again, from what people have said it seems that you did need to consider the weight of the particle, so I'm not sure about this, I may have (probably) read the question incorrectly.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Sounds like a nice paper :emo: wish I'd done this one...

Yes this one was a lot more straight forward, I feel bad for the people who sat in Jan (Jan wasn't a super difficult paper but was tricky).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Did anyone do m2 straight after? that one really messed me up, I just couldn't integrate on question 5b :frown: and the cone took me ages.
Original post by we1shcake
Did anyone do m2 straight after? that one really messed me up, I just couldn't integrate on question 5b :frown: and the cone took me ages.

M2 was every bit as hard as M1 was easy. I couldn't do 4a (with the cone) and I ended up with an unsolvable quadratic in 7a, so I have lost a shedload of marks there. Pretty chuffed with nailing 8, though (I hope).

5b was the distance one, yeah? You had to integrate between 0 and 6 an then between 6 and 9. I think.
Reply 17
Original post by _Morsey_

Are you sure that you had to actually include the 5kg mass?
Original post by Calrooke
Are you sure that you had to actually include the 5kg mass?

For part a, no. You needed it for the acceleration in part b though.
Reply 19
Original post by wrexhamfc
For part a, no. You needed it for the acceleration in part b though.

Ah right, thanks. How many marks do you think you'd lose if you included it but did everything else right? (Part a was 9 marks)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending