The Student Room Group

First long drive since passing?

i passed around 2 weeks ago and have been driving regulary since, i have been on the motorway for 30mins to get used to it and i am now planning to do a long drive.

me and two friends are planning on going to london for a weekend to go to thorpe park and im planning on driving, its 200 miles from my house

do you think its wise to do this? im not nervous just curious as to tips for long journeys etc as its a brand new experiance

thanks in advance
Reply 1
Service stations are your friend when you start to feel tired.

Also have you thought about how long of drive it is, 200 miles will take what 3-6 hours depending on traffic.

And as long as you feel safe doing it you should be fine. main motorways are far different then motorways however, for example the m6 fast lane normally travels at 90+ on good days so be prepared to see a lot more cars flying past you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Make sure you plan your journey, make a list of the roads you need to take and which junctions to need to leave at. Bare in mind the traffic on the M25 can be very heavy.

If you're getting a friend to navigate make sure it's someone who know what they're doing (ideally someone who drives).

Where will you be driving from?
Original post by bentnose
i passed around 2 weeks ago and have been driving regulary since, i have been on the motorway for 30mins to get used to it and i am now planning to do a long drive.

me and two friends are planning on going to london for a weekend to go to thorpe park and im planning on driving, its 200 miles from my house

do you think its wise to do this? im not nervous just curious as to tips for long journeys etc as its a brand new experiance

thanks in advance

this has the inbetweeners written all over it lol

but yeah, 200 miles (even at 70mph if it was all motorway) is 3 hours

plus driving on a motorway for a long time can be boring and make you feel tired so I would stop off occassionally. the journey to thorpe park is simple enough though, all motorways and then a bit of a main road
Reply 4
Your very brave in my eyes! I passed 8 months ago,and only had a car for 2 months and the furthest I've drove is 15 miles and thats at 10-11pm with my boyfriend in the car!

Anyway, I would just suggest that you plan ahead, including where to stop for a break/stretch your legs ect every couple hours or so. Also leave with plently of time ahead so that your not rushing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest