The Student Room Group

Urgently need help on A-Level choices! anyone want to offer me some much needed advic

Hi really need advice on what a levels to do! basically everyone has selected theres apart from me :frown:
My GCSE choices where:
math
English
Home economics
child development
spanish
religion
double award science
art

Im sitting on all A's in these subjects but the truth is i hate every single one of these subjects and the thought of taking them for A-Level would physically make me sick!
But anyway i have to choose something! :confused:
so ive decided i will take business and chemistry, but i need advice on what else to take. I would love to do geography but unfortunately the isnt a class running this year due to low numbers but i know 3 people including myself who really want to do it, but im guessing a class stil wont run :frown:. I was always for taking biology but the teachers are horrific and everyone seems to fail it! Math and english isnt my strong point and i would not like to take them as well as the rest of my GCSE subjects.

Anyone offer any advice to a really confused year 11????????????? I want 4 alevels

PS ::colone: i was considering doing a degree in agriculture and also i was considering taking on sociology for A-Level to thanks:smile:
Reply 1
If you're doing chemistry I really advise maths. You won't believe how helpful it is. Sociology doesn't fit and from the people I know the marking is so erratic that I think it would be a mistake. I say take another look at re just because it's a really interesting a level

Hope this helped a bit :smile:
Reply 2
So ultimately, Id pick something that interests you, its going to take you two years!

I would say ask your teachers for advise.

as for geography, i would say tell your teachers you want to take it, they may run a class, 2 people in my year did philosophy, only 2!

its worth comparing your grades with your subjects and then i would look at uni websites and see what they want for the degrees you want to do :smile:
Reply 3
Someone above said taking Maths with Chemistry is really helpful. I disagree it's basic GCSE Maths that's involved with Chemistry. I would try and get like lots of people to tell the college about Geography, because if you want to do it you should be able to, especially if you want to go into agriculture. Have you checked if agriculture degrees want any specific A levels? Go on www.ucas.com also read about sociology A levels and see if the content interests you. And take on biology if you will work hard! If you really want to do Geography, could you not go to another college?
Reply 4
Original post by Caity.
If you're doing chemistry I really advise maths. You won't believe how helpful it is. Sociology doesn't fit and from the people I know the marking is so erratic that I think it would be a mistake. I say take another look at re just because it's a really interesting a level

Hope this helped a bit :smile:

Thanks Caity. but math really isnt my strong point and i find it really hard all though im sitting on an A :/ I also dont really like Re, but i suppose i have to choose something lol I heard sociology is a lot of work but i think it will be good to start a new subject fresh
Reply 5
Original post by dippers
Someone above said taking Maths with Chemistry is really helpful. I disagree it's basic GCSE Maths that's involved with Chemistry. I would try and get like lots of people to tell the college about Geography, because if you want to do it you should be able to, especially if you want to go into agriculture. Have you checked if agriculture degrees want any specific A levels? Go on www.ucas.com also read about sociology A levels and see if the content interests you. And take on biology if you will work hard! If you really want to do Geography, could you not go to another college?

Yeah thats what i was hopping. Yeah well theres 3 of us so far and im sure others would want to take it. Yeah the uni i want to go to requires like 3 B's and either chemistry or biology. Is it possible to go to another college? ive heard of it happening but never thought yoou could do it
Reply 6
Maths
Further Maths
Even Further Maths
Further than Further, but not the Furthest Maths
Furthest Maths
A Science, a humanities and a foreign language ALWAYS leave lot of open doors when it comes to deciding for uni/your next step
Reply 8
Original post by Rybee
Maths
Further Maths
Even Further Maths
Further than Further, but not the Furthest Maths
Furthest Maths

HaHa no chance
Reply 9
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
A Science, a humanities and a foreign language ALWAYS leave lot of open doors when it comes to deciding for uni/your next step

is one science enough though?
Reply 10
Original post by sonyliv
Hi really need advice on what a levels to do! basically everyone has selected theres apart from me :frown:
My GCSE choices where:
math
English
Home economics
child development
spanish
religion
double award science
art

Im sitting on all A's in these subjects but the truth is i hate every single one of these subjects and the thought of taking them for A-Level would physically make me sick!
so ive decided i will take business and chemistry, but i need advice on what else to take. I would love to do geography but unfortunately the isnt a class running this year due to low numbers but i know 3 people including myself who really want to do it, but im guessing a class stil wont run :frown:. I was always for taking biology but the teachers are horrific and everyone seems to fail it! Math and english isnt my strong point and i would not like to take them as well as the rest of my GCSE subjects.

Anyone offer any advice to a really confused year 11????????????? I want 4 alevels

PS ::colone: i was considering doing a degree in agriculture and also i was considering taking on sociology for A-Level to thanks:smile:

Im just completing my chemistry a level and find some aspects of it link in quite well with biology. However, maths would help you quite a lot as there are some calculations involved through out the course.
I also do sociology. If you want an easier a level I would highly recommend sociology. AS is pretty simple, mostly common sense. I'm doing the whole a level in a year, and find the A2 syllabus' have a lot more in depth topics.
Going from experience, if you have the commitment pick maths, it will help you a lot. Maths or biology would be better, but sociology is easier. More common sense. Hope this helps.
good luck :smile:
Original post by sonyliv
is one science enough though?

Well personally I didn't do a science as I knew my career path early on, but for someone who is in doubt, unless you want to do dentistry or become a doctor or something, then it should be fine.
Reply 12
Original post by Nicolep
Im just completing my chemistry a level and find some aspects of it link in quite well with biology. However, maths would help you quite a lot as there are some calculations involved through out the course.
I also do sociology. If you want an easier a level I would highly recommend sociology. AS is pretty simple, mostly common sense. I'm doing the whole a level in a year, and find the A2 syllabus' have a lot more in depth topics.
Going from experience, if you have the commitment pick maths, it will help you a lot. Maths or biology would be better, but sociology is easier. More common sense. Hope this helps.
good luck :smile:

Yeah but would you recommended biology when the teacher is really bad? i know i shouldnt not choose it because of the teacher but literally everyone fails in her class. I would work for math and i suppose i could get a tutor but im really not the best at it i struggle a lot in that class
Geography, Chemistry, Biology strike me as a very good combination perhaps with Sociology / Psychology if you fancy them.

I think it'll be a lot of work but worth it in the long run as it keeps lots of options open - pharmacy? geology? psychology ? agriculture? medicine? physiotherapy? all good careers.

It's really important you go wherever will allow you to do the right subjects for you. Can't you change schools/ college? With good GCSEs most places will love to have you.

Not sure about business though - could be boring and not very helpful for degrees in any other line.
Reply 14
Original post by sonyliv
Yeah but would you recommended biology when the teacher is really bad? i know i shouldnt not choose it because of the teacher but literally everyone fails in her class. I would work for math and i suppose i could get a tutor but im really not the best at it i struggle a lot in that class

Ah I see what you mean. If you don't feel you could do well in biology because of the tutor then maybe it would be best to consider not choosing it. From experience, maths is difficult, I nearly got an A* at GCSE, then went up to a level maths and did appallingly. I spent all my time revising for it instead of spending some time on my other subjects.
if you want an interesting subject I find psychology is really good and is very similar to sociology. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by pickup
Geography, Chemistry, Biology strike me as a very good combination perhaps with Sociology / Psychology if you fancy them.

I think it'll be a lot of work but worth it in the long run as it keeps lots of options open - pharmacy? geology? psychology ? agriculture? medicine? physiotherapy? all good careers.

It's really important you go wherever will allow you to do the right subjects for you. Can't you change schools/ college? With good GCSEs most places will love to have you.

Not sure about business though - could be boring and not very helpful for degrees in any other line.

Yeah if i where to get in to geography somehow i would doubt i would take to sciences with it. I would rely on it almost as another science to me. Well im really on taking business as a sort of soft subject so that not all my A-Levels will be demanding.
Reply 16
Can you move to a different College/Sixth Form?
Reply 17
Original post by sonyliv
Yeah thats what i was hopping. Yeah well theres 3 of us so far and im sure others would want to take it. Yeah the uni i want to go to requires like 3 B's and either chemistry or biology. Is it possible to go to another college? ive heard of it happening but never thought yoou could do it

Do you go to a school which also has a college? You see my school didn't have a college. In my area we mainly have separate schools and colleges. So yes you can choose to go to another college!
Reply 18
Maths, English Language and Chemistry.

These provide the most complete education in my opinion. Most countries will study maths and language until age 18 if you plan to go to uni.

Chemistry is the central science, if you only do one it's best to do chemistry. (Because physics is often seen as applied maths and there is the perception that biology doesn't provide the "analytical" skills that the other two sciences do)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sonyliv
My GCSE choices where:
math
English
Home economics
child development
spanish
religion
double award science
art

I am not very experienced here as I just got my gcse options today but I would like to try and help. If you like biology I would say go for it, you can do well in it if you try hard and it seems the best option as you hate the others. I would just recommend doing what you love since you have all As, like agriculture and sociology :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest