The Student Room Group

New toy - BMW 728i Sport

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JC.
Mine lasted a month.
It was a pup and I moved it on.

They are heavy on front suspension - so check all the bushes and they also break front springs quite often.
Also check the dash display - it's pretty common for parts of the display to stop working a line at a time.

Fuel consumption... low 20's / high teens. The 728 does feel a bit underpowered. It's a great engine in a Z3 but a 7 is heavy.

You work a smaller engine harder to get the same performance as a bigger engine and then the fuel economy goes through the floor.

My advice? If you must have a 7 in this shape; Get a V8.

Why did you only keep it a month ?

You're really making me lean towards the 740 now.
Original post by JC.
Mine lasted a month.
It was a pup and I moved it on.

They are heavy on front suspension - so check all the bushes and they also break front springs quite often.
Also check the dash display - it's pretty common for parts of the display to stop working a line at a time.

Fuel consumption... low 20's / high teens. The 728 does feel a bit underpowered. It's a great engine in a Z3 but a 7 is heavy.

You work a smaller engine harder to get the same performance as a bigger engine and then the fuel economy goes through the floor.

My advice? If you must have a 7 in this shape; Get a V8.

My 330i driinnnkkkss fuel, just see the MPG gauge drop to 0 as soon as you touch the pedal.
It's not too bad on A roads/motorways though
Reply 22
Original post by JaggaRabba
Why did you only keep it a month ?

You're really making me lean towards the 740 now.

It was a pup.
Reply 23
Original post by Camoxide
My 330i driinnnkkkss fuel, just see the MPG gauge drop to 0 as soon as you touch the pedal.
It's not too bad on A roads/motorways though

The "mpg gauge" is actually just a vacuum gauge. It doesn't really mean anything other than there's a drop of vacuum in the inlet manifold when you press the throttle - which there should be!

Our 330ci was reasonable on fuel for what it was.
Should be seeing 30 ish on a run and mid to low 20's around town if it's running right.
Original post by JC.
It was a pup.

Cheers for the advice.

Going to weigh up the cost of ownership for 1 year: BMW 728, BMW 740 & ~2006 BMW 530d
Reply 25
There is a 750 for sale near to me. 5.4 V12 is rather tempting...
Nice.
OP has it go a built in hand phone?
Original post by JC.
The "mpg gauge" is actually just a vacuum gauge. It doesn't really mean anything other than there's a drop of vacuum in the inlet manifold when you press the throttle - which there should be!

Our 330ci was reasonable on fuel for what it was.
Should be seeing 30 ish on a run and mid to low 20's around town if it's running right.

Mid to low 20s seems a bit optimistic considering its only meant to get 22mpg when new.
Lots of hills round here as well. Going to give it a service when I've got some spare moneys. Buying 6.9 liters of oil isn't going to be cheap :frown:
Reply 29
If you have a Costco card it is cheapish

Or, Opie Oils is cheaper

Quick Reply

Latest