The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath official representative

As you may have noticed, we have recently been using our official representative status on The Student Room to try to help answer any queries that you may have about applying to study at the University of Bath, and so we thought we would use this thread to introduce ourselves:

Steve- I work in Admissions as part of a team that offers advice on the courses available at Bath, the application process, entry requirements, open days, and fees and funding (including the fee waivers, scholarships and bursaries that are available at Bath)

Matt- I work in the Accommodation office at Bath and deal with all aspects of student accommodation, including the application process, eligibility for accommodation, types of accommodation, and room allocation

We know there are a lot of current Bath applicants and students who already provide great information on the Student Room, but we will try to respond to any posts where we feel we can provide useful information to anyone who is interested in studying at Bath or who wants more information on our application process. We will try to respond to any queries as quickly as possible, although please bear in mind that we only work Monday- Friday and so won't be able to respond to posts over the weekend!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm an A2 student at college and have firmed an offer for Architecture at Bath. One of my A levels is Spanish and I had my written exam on Tuesday and it really didn't seem to go as well as I'd hoped. I need A*AA but I'm really worried that my performance in that exam may have let me down. If I miss out on an A in Spanish I don't think it would be by much, but I was just wondering how it would affect my place should I get a B. :frown:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by W1LL
Hi, I'm an A2 student at college and have firmed an offer for Architecture at Bath. One of my A levels is Spanish and I had my written exam on Tuesday and it really didn't seem to go as well as I'd hoped. I need A*AA but I'm really worried that my performance in that exam may have let me down. If I miss out on an A in Spanish I don't think it would be by much, but I was just wondering how it would affect my place should I get a B. :frown:

Hi W1LL,

First of all don’t panic- the exam may have gone better than you thought, and it’s probably not worth worrying too much about results until you actually receive them.

Unfortunately I cannot give a clear answer as to how flexible we could be if you don't meet the conditions of your offer.

When results are published everyone who has met the conditions of their offer will gain a place. However, as it is impossible for us to accurately predict how many students will meet the conditions of their offer, it is possible that there will be places still available after all those who have met their offer have been accommodated. If this is the case, then we will look to offer places to those who have just missed the conditions of their offer, and those who have missed by the narrowest margin are most likely to receive an offer.

Therefore, the amount of flexibility we will be able to show will depend on both the number of places still available, and the degree by which ‘near miss’ students have missed the conditions of their offer.

I hope that this offers some clarification, and good luck in any further exams!

Steve
Hi Everyone,

We hope that we will see a lot of you tomorrow at our Open Day.

For those of you who will be attending tomorrow you can view our Open Day Programme in advance here. Of course, this will also be available on arrival tomorrow.

Bath and the area around the campus can become busy during our Open Days, so remember to leave plenty of time to travel to and from the campus (especially if you have booked for an early talk). Information on traveling to our campus can be found here within our Study webpages.

We look forward to welcoming you tomorrow!
Reply 4
Original post by University Of Bath
As you may have noticed, we have recently been using our official representative status on The Student Room to try to help answer any queries that you may have about applying to study at the University of Bath, and so we thought we would use this thread to introduce ourselves:

Steve- I work in Admissions as part of a team that offers advice on the courses available at Bath, the application process, entry requirements, open days, and fees and funding (including the fee waivers, scholarships and bursaries that are available at Bath)

Matt- I work in the Accommodation office at Bath and deal with all aspects of student accommodation, including the application process, eligibility for accommodation, types of accommodation, and room allocation

We know there are a lot of current Bath applicants and students who already provide great information on the Student Room, but we will try to respond to any posts where we feel we can provide useful information to anyone who is interested in studying at Bath or who wants more information on our application process. We will try to respond to any queries as quickly as possible, although please bear in mind that we only work Monday- Friday and so won't be able to respond to posts over the weekend!

what gcses would you think typical of a successful applicant
Reply 5
Hello, does Bath usually enter clearing? And if so are grades slightly more flexible? For example if a course was AAA and I offered A*AB, or AAB would I have a chance of being accepted?
Original post by JPL9457
what gcses would you think typical of a successful applicant

Hi JPL9457,

The best place to find details of our current entry requirements is our E-prospectus which is here within our Study site.

If you select the course that is of interest, and then click the 'Full Entry Requirements' link you will see which GCSE grades are needed (if any are specified).

We are of course more interested in AS and A-level (or equivalent) grades, but some subjects will ask for specific GCSE's- for example, our Accounting and Finance course asks for a B grade in GCSE English Language and Maths.

Please let me know if you cannot find this information for your chosen course.

Steve
Original post by *mike
Hello, does Bath usually enter clearing? And if so are grades slightly more flexible? For example if a course was AAA and I offered A*AB, or AAB would I have a chance of being accepted?

Hi *mike,

It is very unlikely that we will enter clearing, although we have done so very occasionally in the past for a small number of courses.

If we did enter clearing then our entry requirements would not be reduced.

Therefore if a course's entry requirement was AAA we would not be able to accept ABB. We may be able to accept A*AB (as this is broadly equivalent) but it would be dependent on the discretion of the admissions tutor.

I hope this is helpful!

Steve
Reply 8
Hi *mike,

It is very unlikely that we will enter clearing, although we have done so very occasionally in the past for a small number of courses.

If we did enter clearing then our entry requirements would not be reduced.

Therefore if a course's entry requirement was AAA we would not be able to accept ABB. We may be able to accept A*AB (as this is broadly equivalent) but it would be dependent on the discretion of the admissions tutor.

I hope this is helpful!

Steve

Thanks for the quick response!
If you have applied to study at Bath from 2013 then you may be interested in our new undergraduates webpages which have recently been launched.

These webpages bring together all the information that is relevant to students who will be joining a Bath undergraduate programme in 2013.

Along with information on semester dates and life at Bath, there is a checklist of what you should do once your place at Bath has been confirmed (i.e. you have met the conditions of your offer), and also information on the Students Union officers for 2013/14.

The new undergraduate webpages can be found at http://www.bath.ac.uk/new-ug/
We have recently been contacted by a number of applicants who have not received important information related to their application that has been sent to them by the University of Bath.

If you have an on-going application then please remember to check the inbox of the email address supplied to UCAS and to log into your Bath Application Tracker on a regular basis!
Reply 11
We have recently been contacted by a number of applicants who have not received important information related to their application that has been sent to them by the University of Bath.

If you have an on-going application then please remember to check the inbox of the email address supplied to UCAS and to log into your Bath Application Tracker on a regular basis!

Just checked application tracker. Have received welcome email on 9th Oct 2012 and "acco goes live on 3rd" email on 28th March. Is there any other email I should have received. Is it some specific email everybody should get ?
Original post by HPAG
Just checked application tracker. Have received welcome email on 9th Oct 2012 and "acco goes live on 3rd" email on 28th March. Is there any other email I should have received. Is it some specific email everybody should get ?

Hi HPAG,

We send all important communications via Application Tracker (and sometimes replicate these by Email) and it is impossible to delete messages from Application Tracker.

Unfortunately I cannot confirm which specific communications you should have received as these vary depending on the specifics of your application, but if you have checked Application tracker and your personal email then you shouldn't have missed anything!
Hello! I received my IB results on the 6th and I met the conditions of the offer. I was wondering, how long does it take for the admissions office to reply? I'm an international student and I require a visa, application for which is quite a long process. Thank you!
Hi Anna,

Thanks for your message and I'm glad to hear that you have met the conditions of your offer!

We are working to process all IB results as we receive them, and so will get back to you as soon as we can. However, as I am sure you will appreciate a large number of our applicants take this qualification and so it will take us some time to process all results.

We know that overseas applicants need a reply so that they can apply for their visa, and we will confirm decisions in good time to allow applicants to do this.

Steve
Reply 15
Hi,

I have firmed an offer for accounting and finance sandwich course at bath. Can I change from sandwich course to full time course even though I've already firmed my offer for the sandwich course ?
Hi Endao,

Thanks for your question.

If you would like to request to switch courses at this stage then your will need to email our admissions team at [email protected].

So that we can respond as quickly as possible, when e-mailing please include your UCAS ID number, the course code of the course you originally applied for (NN43), and the code of the course you would like to switch to (NN34).

We have previously been able to allow applicants to change the course they have applied for, although as I am sure you appreciate it will depend on the number of places available on the course in question.

I would recommend you email our admissions team as soon as possible as we will be dealing with an increased number of enquiries as we near results day.

Steve
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello, I have finished my BTEC Extended diploma in sport and have been told that I should be getting a D*D*D* as I didnt drop a single grade during my course, I was offered a place on the Sport and Social science course with condition to get DDD on this course and a GCSE grade C in maths, I am not sure if i done enough to get the C, but I was hoping you could tell me the likely hood of being allowed in anyway because of my BTEC grade, and the fact I can resit the maths at a local college in November, my passion to study at this University is as high as it possibly can be, I would be devistated if I didnt get in due to these circumstances.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your question- as you can imagine we receive a lot of enquiries of this type at this time of year!

I would first of all stress the importance of waiting to receive your results before becoming too concerned with the possible scenarios should you not meet the conditions of your offer - many students fear that things have not gone as well as hoped during exams, only to find out they have met or exceeded their expectations!

Unfortunately I cannot tell you how likely it is that we would be able to accept you if you did miss the conditions of your offer, as the amount of flexibility we are able to show depends upon how many applicants meet the conditions of their offers, and of course we have no way of anticipating this.

If spaces on the course remain once all applicants who have met the conditions of their offer have been accommodated then we will look to offer places to applicants have just missed the conditions of their offer, and our decision will be communicated as soon as possible via UCAS Track. Please be patient- we are highly unlikely to be able to make these decisions until after A-level results day (15 August) as it is only then that we will know how many applicants have met the conditions of their offers.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply 19

Steve

Hi,

I do understand you/the university are reluctant to commit yourselves. But allowing for the "past performance is not a predictor of future performance" could you let me know in the past how long would it take for an international student to receive his CAS if he gets in meeting his firm conditional offer ?

Thanks

Quick Reply