The Student Room Group

"You have no self respect" What does that even mean?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Dragonfly07
You seem to be confusing appreciation with respect. You can appreciate someone's body without having automatic respect for someone you don't know.

For the same reason you wouldn't have automatic respect for someone's body, you certainly shouldn't have automatic disrespect for their body either. Rather, you should respect their decision to choose and accordingly you should respectfully avoid making harsh judgements about them based on their dress sense.

Its probably the wrong kind of " appreciation" though,if you see what I mean...
Personally, I'd rather have respect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by A Cat
Then we come to the problem where society tells you to jump off a cliff. Jumping off a cliff is the norm. It will please others and make you look cool if you jump off a cliff. Do it. Jump off a cliff.

If we don't teach ourselves to be stronger than the implications of not conforming to our perception of what society expects from us, even if we come to the conclusion that it's best we conform, then we are nothing but mindless drones. A mindless drone does not question. A mindless drone obeys.

I think that people who conform to another person's "you should do this" without properly questioning it, those people are the mindless drones. Which you do not seem to be since you're questioning what I'm telling you.

You've moved on to a new argument. Validation is not the same as conformation. People can seek validation for things that aren't necessarily acceptable by society.

But even with conformation I don't think that it's wrong to conform as long as it's done in moderation. You seem to attribute everything an either black or white colour, so people are either completely validated by others or completely self-validated, and people either completely conform or they're complete anarchists.

No one is either this or that.
Original post by Ignorant
Yes you are right and I of course as a guy obviously have appreciation for the female body which includes large breasts but like you said it is not something that can be shown off for respect.

@ Tyrion I think respect should be earned through hard work and effort and has nothing to do with your genetic traits. If that was true than it would mean women with bigger tits should have more respect than women with smaller tits which is absurd. Like Dragonfly has said though naturally you would appreciate them.

I respect your decision to wear whatever but to me it seems like such a low way of gaining attention. If revealing your body was the only way to gain attention it would make sense but there are so many better ways to gain attention but you decide to just show off your tits. I have nothing against you if you do but it just seems so pathetic to me. Like i said the reasons to everything matter if you are doing it for yourself, good for you but if you are doing it for other people than it's quite silly imo.

The thing is I know you have a nice body just by looking at you, why do you need to go out of your way to show off your tits so blatantly when they are obviously apparent anyway. If you have big tits and you are proud of them why do you need other people to validate that? Acknowledging your traits but not blatantly showing them off is far more respectable

I agree. I respect someone for their hard work and decency, not their outfit or the size of their body/boobs/arse/legs/whatever body part you find attractive.

The reason I asked the question was I'm naturally big chested and often a neckline that looks decent on someone small busted shows quite a bit of cleavage on me. Proportionally, there's more boob to show so not much I can do about it. My own personal reasoning is I wear it because I like it and because I think it's flattering, not because I want to show off my tits. Some people though seem to think people who are busty should cover up, something I think is disgusting
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Why do you think someone with big tits in a low cut top should not get respect? Would you also not give respect to someone with small tits in the top

You really are clutching at straws here aren't you :rolleyes:

Respect has nothing to do with boob size, christ. What is wrong with you? :facepalm:
Original post by sarahthegemini
You really are clutching at straws here aren't you :rolleyes:

Respect has nothing to do with boob size, christ. What is wrong with you? :facepalm:

What? No, I asked a question given his statement that "someone shouldn't be respected for having big tits", I wasn't sure if he was implying someone with big tits should be less respected.

I personally believe respect comes from the individual and not what they're wearing
Reply 85
I agree. I respect someone for their hard work and decency, not their outfit or the size of their body/boobs/arse/legs/whatever body part you find attractive.

The reason I asked the question was I'm naturally big chested and often a neckline that looks decent on someone small busted shows quite a bit of cleavage on me. Proportionally, there's more boob to show so not much I can do about it. My own personal reasoning is I wear it because I like it and because I think it's flattering, not because I want to show off my tits. Some people though seem to think people who are busty should cover up, something I think is disgusting

You don't need to cover up just be reasonable about it lol. It's very difficult to have a reasonable conversation with a girl who is really trying hard to show off her body to you the only conclusion you can have in that situation is she really wants to get laid. I'm not saying its true but you can understand how wearing VERY revealing clothing can have this effect right?

Naturally i love a girl who's got a great body but i am more concerned about your personality and it is hard to talk and get to know someone who is borderline on indecent exposure. This is why so many of these girls complain about guys who only want to have sex with them or only stare at their tits which is just laughable. If you are going to reveal yourself OBVIOUSLY guys are going to think and look in that direction.

I can understand your viewpoint and wearing low cut tops is fine and sexy but if its over the top i'm afraid naturally your going to get some criticism
You don't need to cover up just be reasonable about it lol. It's very difficult to have a reasonable conversation with a girl who is really trying hard to show off her body to you the only conclusion you can have in that situation is she really wants to get laid. I'm not saying its true but you can understand how wearing VERY revealing clothing can have this effect right?

Naturally i love a girl who's got a great body but i am more concerned about your personality and it is hard to talk and get to know someone who is borderline on indecent exposure. This is why so many of these girls complain about guys who only want to have sex with them or only stare at their tits which is just laughable. If you are going to reveal yourself OBVIOUSLY guys are going to think and look in that direction.

I can understand your viewpoint and wearing low cut tops is fine and sexy but if its over the top i'm afraid naturally your going to get some criticism

See I just don't see it this way. A body is something natural, not something shameful that should be hidden. It's just a body. It can look sexy, it can look un sexy. But there's nothing intrinsically sexual about being nude, or wearing revealing clothing

I don't think leering at someone is okay. If someone's dressed in a surprising way then sure, a double take is okay, but actually leering, regardless of how someone is dressed, is unnecessary

It depends how you define over the top. I personally don't have anything wrong with people being nude, so my opinion of over the top is probably very different than your own
Reply 87
See I just don't see it this way. A body is something natural, not something shameful that should be hidden. It's just a body. It can look sexy, it can look un sexy. But there's nothing intrinsically sexual about being nude, or wearing revealing clothing

I don't think leering at someone is okay. If someone's dressed in a surprising way then sure, a double take is okay, but actually leering, regardless of how someone is dressed, is unnecessary

It depends how you define over the top. I personally don't have anything wrong with people being nude, so my opinion of over the top is probably very different than your own

Your fine with that mindset but don't you have any sympathy for us guys? We love tits and ass and anything that remotely resembles a hole so your not going to find any guy that doesn't want to have sex with you , but then that can be a pro or a con right?

Personally it would be hard to get to know and become close with someone who's so casual with revealing herself because I have a penis. It's got nothing to do with self control either if you are going to reveal tits = arousal its as as simple as that so by nature its distracting. I don't think of girls like that in a bad way, I just think they are trying too hard to distract me rather than anything else.

Like I've said before girls are extremely attractive wearing pretty much anything really so wearing revealing clothing is just plain distracting and inappropriate in most cases. That is why people will leer, girls will be jealous of your awesome tits and guys will only look at you for sex.
(edited 10 years ago)
Your fine with that mindset but don't you have any sympathy for us guys? We love tits and ass and anything that remotely resembles a hole so your not going to find any guy that doesn't want to have sex with you , but then that can be a pro or a con right?

Personally it would be hard to get to know and become close with someone who's so casual with revealing herself because I have a penis. It's got nothing to do with self control either if you are going to reveal tits = arousal its as as simple as that so by nature its distracting. I don't think of girls like that in a bad way, I just think they are trying too hard to distract me rather than anything else.

Like I've said before girls are extremely attractive wearing pretty much anything really so wearing revealing clothing is just plain distracting and inappropriate in most cases. That is why people will leer, girls will be jealous of your awesome tits and guys will only look at you for sex.

No, I don't have sympathy. Because you can appreciate someone looking nice without being groping them and being weird about it. Look at it like this. Some men walk around with their shirt off. Would it be acceptable for him to get stared at and touched by random people who found him attractive? No.

Also women who like women, you don't see lesbians and bisexuals going mad every time a woman walks out it something revealing. It's almost always men doing it to women, and the problem is that it's embedded in culture that women should behave in a way and if they don't, that's bad.

So it's inappropriate because it makes someone else uncomfortable? How about we teach people how to treat others, even attractive women, rather than making the woman cover up..

The male entitlement is strong in this one
Reply 90
No, I don't have sympathy. Because you can appreciate someone looking nice without being groping them and being weird about it. Look at it like this. Some men walk around with their shirt off. Would it be acceptable for him to get stared at and touched by random people who found him attractive? No.

Also women who like women, you don't see lesbians and bisexuals going mad every time a woman walks out it something revealing. It's almost always men doing it to women, and the problem is that it's embedded in culture that women should behave in a way and if they don't, that's bad.

So it's inappropriate because it makes someone else uncomfortable? How about we teach people how to treat others, even attractive women, rather than making the woman cover up..

Original post by edithwashere
The male entitlement is strong in this one

Again you don't understand where i'm coming from i'm not saying you should do anything, quite frankly i don't give a **** anybody anyone does so long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I am merely stating the effect it is going to have on people. I wouldn't grope you or touch you because i'm not an A-hole nor would i salivate at the sight of your breasts but everyone would have their attention drawn towards them because that part of your body is exactly what you have accentuated.

You're asking people to avoid staring at your breasts when you are so obviously trying to show them off? That's ridiculous,.It's like putting a child in a room with a box of chocolates and not expecting him to eat it. Yeah it's not acceptable that we should stare but you cant complain if that is the reaction people give you because that is what you are displaying, that's just unreasonable
(edited 10 years ago)
Again you don't understand where i'm coming from i'm not saying you should do anything, quite frankly i don't give a **** anybody anyone does so long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I am merely stating the effect it is going to have on people. I wouldn't grope you or touch you because i'm not an A-hole nor would i salivate at the sight of your breasts but everyone would have their attention drawn towards them because that part of your body is exactly what you have accentuated.

You're asking people to avoid staring at your breasts when you are so obviously trying to show them off? That's ridiculous,.It's like putting a child in a room with a box of chocolates and not expecting him to eat it. Yeah it's not acceptable that we should stare but you cant complain if that is the reaction people give you because that is what you are displaying, that's just unreasonable

Again you're saying someone's obviously trying to show them off. What if they just liked that dress? Personally, my boobs look huge in everything, and I think turtle necks look awful on me, so I'm not going to wear them. I have boobs, deal with it. I'll dress how I feel comfortable, and I don't dress to show them off or to not show them off, it's just my body.

I'm not asking people to not look, I'm asking people to not stare at me like I'm an object. It's not that hard..
Seriously op please stfu and stop going on. You think it's ok to walk around with your tits out then complain that you aren't seen as respectable. That's how society is, you can't change the opinion of the majority just because you disagree. Get over it.

You're asking people to avoid staring at your breasts when you are so obviously trying to show them off? That's ridiculous.It's like putting a child in a room with a box of chocolates and not expecting him to eat it. Yeah it's not acceptable that we should stare but you cant complain if that is the reaction people give you because that is what you are displaying, that's just unreasonable

You seem to think the only reason women wear low cut tops is so that men will look at them, and that since men can't help their hormonal urges it's entirely women's fault if men look at them in a certain way or disrespect them because of their clothing. It's sexist to both men and women, don't you think people can wear clothes not because they want to show their bodies off to other people, but just because they like those clothes?

As an example - I just shaved my head, to raise money for charity. I am aware that people will look at me more than before, because I look different. But does that mean I shaved my head only for attention, and by going outside without a wig or a hat or something to cover my different-looking head, I'm asking for attention? No. I shaved my head because I wanted to, and I could care less what people think of it and whether they pay any attention to it at all. The same goes for if I wear a crop top or anything that shows off my figure whatsoever. Women's bodies are their own, they are not simply there for the enjoyment of men.
Seriously op please stfu and stop going on. You think it's ok to walk around with your tits out then complain that you aren't seen as respectable. That's how society is, you can't change the opinion of the majority just because you disagree. Get over it.

:facepalm: you missed the point spectacularly.
You seem to think the only reason women wear low cut tops is so that men will look at them, and that since men can't help their hormonal urges it's entirely women's fault if men look at them in a certain way or disrespect them because of their clothing. It's sexist to both men and women, don't you think people can wear clothes not because they want to show their bodies off to other people, but just because they like those clothes?

As an example - I just shaved my head, to raise money for charity. I am aware that people will look at me more than before, because I look different. But does that mean I shaved my head only for attention, and by going outside without a wig or a hat or something to cover my different-looking head, I'm asking for attention? No. I shaved my head because I wanted to, and I could care less what people think of it and whether they pay any attention to it at all. The same goes for if I wear a crop top or anything that shows off my figure whatsoever. Women's bodies are their own, they are not simply there for the enjoyment of men.

You've worded it far better than me, this is the point I was trying to get across

I don't actually walk around with my tits out, and I don't care that people don't respect me. I care that people disrespect women as a whole and think they can tell women what to do with their bodies
:facepalm: you missed the point spectacularly.

Nope, although you probably agree with the bull**** she's coming out with. "I will get my boobs out yet nobody can look at me! I must be respected. Do not look at the part I'm blatently emphasizing"
Nope, although you probably agree with the bull**** she's coming out with. "I will get my boobs out yet nobody can look at me! I must be respected. Do not look at the part I'm blatently emphasizing"

Yeah, still missing the point. Also given you're calling what Tyrion is saying "bull****" and then going on to make up your own quote to match your skewed and biased opinions, I'd argue that you are the person on this thread talking bull****. :colonhash:

That's not what I've said at all? I even said I don't mind people looking, and I don't wear anything that I consider unreasonable, I've just said that the stupid notion that a woman's respect comes from her appearance is stupid. Simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending