The Student Room Group

What A-Levels would I need to study Psychology and/or Philosophy?

Hi! I'm starting sixth form in September and I'm thinking of studying Psychology at university, I've done it GCSE and I love it and I haven't studied philosophy yet but I think it seems really interesting?

But I found a post saying that psychology and sociology are 'soft' a levels, and my current choices are psychology, sociology, philosophy and religious studies, however they overlap a lot and I want to go to a good university so I was going to swap R.S for Spanish because I know universities would like it, but I don't know if I'm 100% sure of it. I've done it GCSE and mainly gotten B's, but I know it's hard and I haven't been very good at it during year 11 but I loved it in year 10, I'm not sure I could cope with it.

I'm horrible at Science and I dropped maths in year 10 after sitting it early and getting a C on foundation, I know these would be the ideal subjects but I can't do them. I'm barely on a C on foundation science (but our teacher has never really taught us properly)

I was thinking of doing History or should I stay with Spanish? I have 2 days of taster days at my college and the end of June, but there are 3 different history courses: Early Modern/Dictatorships and Democracies/America and World Affairs.

I really don't know what to do. I've been looking at University of Aberdeen and St Andrews, if it makes a difference. Can anybody help me, please?:s-smilie:

Thanks!:smile:
Reply 1
Hi im going to do psychology at a level even though I haven't done it at gcse, it sounds interesting and I've always loved the subject and I'm also going to do philosophy as it's one if my favourite subjects. I'm not the best to ask but I'd say just do what you think you'll be good at and what interests you. Spanish seems like a good idea though, history is quite hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I don't know what you've done for GCSE Psychology, but at AS it is a fairly sciencey syllabus. My friends take it and they've done Freud, Dream Analysis, Cognitive studies etc. If you want to do it at uni, most of them want a B at GCSE science.

As for Philosophy, it's SHAMAZING. It's one of my faves at AS. If it's free standing and not under the RS course, you'll only do some of the following; Plato and Aristotle, Judaeo-Christianity, Ontological Argument, Cosmological Argument, Teleological Argument, Moral Argument, Problem of Evil. But I like ethics too, so i don't know whether you want to just do Philosophy, or do both in RS.

Hope you enjoy sixth form! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest