The Student Room Group

WJEC LAW LA3 and LA4 (6th June and 14th June)

Hey there, did anybody else sit the LA3 exam today? If so, how did you find it? I can't believe Q1 was worded to sound like a Loss of Control question when it wasn't! :angry:
I found it the paper nice. Much better than I was expecting although my legal funding answer wasn't the greatest.

My teacher stressed the importance of getting the mens rea for the homicide question right. If there was no intent to kill, or cause GBH, it will always be involuntary manslaughter. A few people doing the exam made the same mistake, although they added loss of control, on top of constructive manslaughter.

The police powers question was right to, no confessions to worry about!
Reply 2
Does anybody have any predictions for the possible defence questions for LA4?
Reply 3
Original post by DunDunDecency
I found it the paper nice. Much better than I was expecting although my legal funding answer wasn't the greatest.

My teacher stressed the importance of getting the mens rea for the homicide question right. If there was no intent to kill, or cause GBH, it will always be involuntary manslaughter. A few people doing the exam made the same mistake, although they added loss of control, on top of constructive manslaughter.

The police powers question was right to, no confessions to worry about!
That's great to hear, I found the paper good too apart from the Homicide question, which messed me and a lot of people up I'm sure :mad: Don't stress, legal funding carries less marks than the 14 markers so I'm sure you will still do fine :biggrin: I can imagine your teacher, our teachers have done the same - the funny thing is that halfway through writing my answer as 'Loss of Control' , I got panicky and realised it could have been Involuntary, but yet I didn't change my answer, I knew I should have went with my gut instinct :mad: Yes! Police Powers was amazing as soon as I saw Legality I was jumping for the roof, tell me about it, I'm not a big fan of confessions:frown: but hey, LA4 carries more marks so I'm hoping I can still get an A overall for both papers. What is the ideal grade that you would like to achieve?
Reply 4
Original post by ajwils
I know they asked a question yesterday on Diminished Responsibilty, so I doubt that could come up again. However, it's worth looking at Loss of Control/Provocation as it didn't come up in LA3 or the previous exam I think. Your safest bet is to revise all of the topics though, I don't want to really predict anything then it doesn't come up :confused:
Original post by ajwils

What option for LA4 are you sitting? I'm sitting option 2, I'm only revising Bail, Strict Liability and Sentencing, those three always come up.
Reply 6
Criminal Law and Justice.
I'm doing Bail,Strict liability, Defences and if I have time I'll run through adult sentencing.
:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Youth sentencing often comes up much more times than the adult sentencing, so I'm really not sure what could come up for that. With the strict liability, I'm also going over statutory interpretation, as they have come together quite often as a question. However, I do have a strong feeling that Strict Liability will be a 25 mark question as it wasn't one based on the examiners report from last January. Sorry if I've confused you :L
Reply 8
Original post by ajwils
Criminal Law and Justice.
I'm doing Bail,Strict liability, Defences and if I have time I'll run through adult sentencing.
:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are you revising for the AS question in LA4?
Reply 9
I haven't even gone over sentencing yet, is it better to not bother now and focus on the others or shall I go over it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What topics are most likely to come up Friday? ive revised as much as i can but i still feel like i should be doing more... help please!!! :confused:
Due to consent coming up in the last LA4 exam is it unlikely it will come up again??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hey everybody, sorry I couldn't reply to some of the unanswered threads on here. How did you all find the exam yesterday and what questions did you choose?:smile:
I chose Bail, Intoxication, Strict Liability and Statutory Interpretation....pretty much had to blag my way out of the Stat. question:frown:
Reply 13
At least Law is finished for us now!!! :biggrin:
Original post by ShanDainty
Hey everybody, sorry I couldn't reply to some of the unanswered threads on here. How did you all find the exam yesterday and what questions did you choose?:smile:
I chose Bail, Intoxication, Strict Liability and Statutory Interpretation....pretty much had to blag my way out of the Stat. question:frown:

I did CPS, intoxication, strict liability and statutory interpretation! I thought it wasn't too bad but rushed the statutory interpretation question! My handwriting was so bad on that question too i hope the examiner can actually read it haha :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by usernamelol
I did CPS, intoxication, strict liability and statutory interpretation! I thought it wasn't too bad but rushed the statutory interpretation question! My handwriting was so bad on that question too i hope the examiner can actually read it haha :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Decent choice of questions, glad the exam went okay for you :smile: LOL don't worry, I think they electronically mark our exams so they should be able to scan your answers...I had so much time in the exam I finished like an hour early, I personally think they give us too much time for that exam:s-smilie:
I did CPS and Bail in section A, and did Strict Liability and Stat. Interpretation in sec B.

Annoyed because I knew SL was going to come up, I revised it so heavily, but when it came to answering it, I drew a blank. Could only remember the main points.

Overall the paper was good, and I agree with the time. I finished with 30-45 minutes left.
Reply 17
Original post by DunDunDecency
I did CPS and Bail in section A, and did Strict Liability and Stat. Interpretation in sec B.

Annoyed because I knew SL was going to come up, I revised it so heavily, but when it came to answering it, I drew a blank. Could only remember the main points.

Overall the paper was good, and I agree with the time. I finished with 30-45 minutes left.

That's good to hear, I know a lot of people that went with CPS and Bail as well :smile: Ahh same here, I only wrote half a page for SL :confused: At least we both finished before time though :smile:
I know this is an old thread and I don't know if anyone will see this, but I need a little bit of help. I'm sitting my LA4 WJEC exam on January the 22nd, but I can't seem to find the past paper for LA4 in June of 2013. I'm just wondering if anybody who has last years paper could help me out by telling me what questions came up? I'd really appreciate it!:smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest