The Student Room Group

Bored of Stephen Fry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
And how convenient that it should be so! Anyone daring to critique Fry's public self-absorbtion is a mental healthist!

Luckily he manages to avoid suicide attempts during his many extended TV appearances. Thank goodness.

I hate people like you. Seriously this has pissed me off massively now.

"oh well you managed to see your friends just fine/go to the shop/tie your shoelace/whatever so you don't REALLY have problems"

You have no idea about mental illness. Normally I don't have animosity for the ignorant as it's not strictly their fault it isn't talked about, but even after people have explained you are still writing ridiculous stuff such as the ones above.

By the way, most people who make a suicide attempt will do it in private, as they don't want to draw attention to it
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I hate people like you. Seriously this has pissed me off massively now.

"oh well you managed to see your friends just fine/go to the shop/tie your shoelace/whatever so you don't REALLY have problems"

You have no idea about mental illness. Normally I don't have animosity for the ignorant as it's not strictly their fault it isn't talked about, but even after people have explained you are still writing ridiculous stuff such as the ones above.

By the way, most people who make a suicide attempt will do it in private, as they don't want to draw attention to it

They might make it in private, but in Fry's case, he will definitely be in front of the media to fully discuss it later on.
And how convenient that it should be so! Anyone daring to critique Fry's public self-absorbtion is a mental healthist!

Luckily he manages to avoid suicide attempts during his many extended TV appearances. Thank goodness.

I sense you're now playing devil's advocate :wink: I can see where you're coming from, actually, but I'd argue that Stephen Fry's revelation about his suicide attempt is nothing but genuine. Arguing that he's doing it for attention would be a bit of a stretch when you consider that he's the chairman of a mental health charity and the amount of time he devotes to raising funds for such causes. It's a bit like saying Jade Goody was attention seeking by making her programme on cervical cancer before she died... her intentions were undoubtedly genuine but her boosted popularity was an unintentional bonus.
They might make it in private, but in Fry's case, he will definitely be in front of the media to fully discuss it later on.

In order to help others with depression and bipolar and raise awareness and stop discrimination

In large print as you obviously don't understand what has already been said several times already here

Original post by therisenmitten
How can someone attempting suicide be for publicity? Seriously I think he has a lot more things to think about than just what the public thinks about him. His illness developed way before he was rich/famous.

People are entirely missing the point. I'm not saying that the average suicide-attempter isn't someone who deserves sympathy and support. I'm questioning the media-hunger of Stephen Fry and the hunger of the media to over-report the illnesses of celebs as news, as if somehow this is on a par with the suffering of millions of poor people who are depressed because they can't get a job or make ends meet.

Also I'm not saying that Fry attempted suicide for publicity, I'm just saying he does his best to publicise it after the fact.
People are entirely missing the point. I'm not saying that the average suicide-attempter isn't someone who deserves sympathy and support. I'm questioning the media-hunger of Stephen Fry and the hunger of the media to over-report the illnesses of celebs as news, as if somehow this is on a par with the suffering of millions of poor people who are depressed because they can't get a job or make ends meet.

Also I'm not saying that Fry attempted suicide for publicity, I'm just saying he does his best to publicise it after the fact.

You don't seem to be able to get your head around the fact that depression doesn't have to be for a obvious reason like someone having no money. Well here, it doesn't. At all. Now shut up

Situational depression, while bad is nothing compared to clinical depression (IMHO). Please stop comparing the two . . .

Do you really know anything about his life? No.
There is nothing the slightest thing glamorous about mental illness.

Is is glamorous to stay up every night till 4am with your mother sobbing like a baby until she falls asleep? Then get detention for being late for school the next day?
Or to take her fits of anger when she scolds you for something ridiculously small?
Or even having to admit to your friends why you have to leave uni to take care of her for the rest of the term?

Just give it a rest, you have no idea.
Mental illness doesn't discriminate.
It could affect the richest or poorest man in the UK.
Stephen Fry has done a wonderful job of being the president of mind and speaking out breaks the social stigma and makes people who are suffering mental illness that it can affect anybody. As you being bored, well just switch the television off and hope you're not one of the 25% of people in the UK who are/will be affected by mental iillness.
Reply 69
I'm just saying he does his best to publicise it after the fact.

In order to help others with depression and bipolar and raise awareness and stop discrimination

In large print as you obviously don't understand what has already been said several times already here

it is not something you can just make a decision to talk about like that and stuff, it's something you find very difficult to open up about and even harder to talk about with other people, especially people you don't know...

I think it's awful that he got that low and I hope he will be okay, it's an awful thing to live with and he is so brave for getting through that and still being here today, he is also very brave to admit to it, most people would find that near impossible to do.
Original post by Stanners95
I sense you're now playing devil's advocate :wink: I can see where you're coming from, actually, but I'd argue that Stephen Fry's revelation about his suicide attempt is nothing but genuine. Arguing that he's doing it for attention would be a bit of a stretch when you consider that he's the chairman of a mental health charity and the amount of time he devotes to raising funds for such causes. It's a bit like saying Jade Goody was attention seeking by making her programme on cervical cancer before she died... her intentions were undoubtedly genuine but her boosted popularity was an unintentional bonus.

Isn't this the key point? I'm suggesting that the whole thing is a pre-planned media campaign and that the depth of Fry's depression, whilst doubtless in existence, is strictly second fiddle to the media opportunities it presents for the charity and the play-up to his self-importance and slightly ridiculous celeb self-obsession.

In other words, far from being some kind of spontaneous outpouring of genuine despair about the depths of his suffering, this was all a put-up media job and one that a great many people have fallen for.

Well done Stephen! Another feather in your very large cap.
Reply 72
He's one of Britain's most popular celebrities. He's got nearly 6 million followers on twitter and he hosted the BAFTAs recently. People like celebrity news it's news because people care about it.

This video is good for him explaining why 'you've got it all, why end it all' is a pointless question.

Being sad because you have no money/job is not depression, it's just natural human emotion.
You don't seem to be able to get your head around the fact that depression doesn't have to be for a obvious reason like someone having no money. Well here, it doesn't. At all. Now shut up

I might have to do a Sansa and marry you Tyrion, you speak so much sense :love:

Every mental health professional will confirm that poverty and unemployment exacerbate depression and that major lifestyle threats trigger it - like unemployment, hunger, war, etc - so who's being ignorant here?

Fry is no more a poster boy for depression than Angelina Jolie is for everywoman. They are super-rich individuals manipulating ordinary misery to add another feel-good layer to their already massively massaged egos.
Original post by edithwashere
I might have to do a Sansa and marry you Tyrion, you speak so much sense :love:

A GoT fan after my own heart :smug:

Let's get some Dornish wine :perv:
Don't know if this is a popular opinion or not, but is anyone else bored of hearing about Stephen Fry's current mental state? I like the guy, but really, how much of hearing all the details of his various depressions do we need? :rolleyes:

I don't know why exactly, but I find his self-absorbed mental hypochondria annoying - he must be one of the richest entertainers in the UK, he is constantly on all channels and every door is open to him. Isn't this just more lovey self-publicising?

I reckon I'd be pretty messed up if my parents sent me to boarding school so young. Him coming forward is extremely important for reducing the stigma surrounding mental health. If everybody had your opinions nobody would seek help for mental health problems because they'd be too ashamed.

You've clearly got no idea what you're talking about. Clinical depression isn't logical, it isn't something you can avoid by having a good group of friends, a good job, being fine for cash etc. As for media-hunger - want to know what? most people who have previously attempted suicide don't want to draw attention to that, and those that are open about it are so because they are brave enough to ask for help. In Fry's case, he's in a position where in talking about it becomes news, and so it helps show those people who have just hidden their problems away from everyone that it's ok to ask for help.

Unfortunately, we still have attitudes like yours where clearly if you are capable of being around people, or have money you can't be depressed and so should stop looking for the help that you actually need :rolleyes:
His problem exists in his head, literally (chemicaly), so no matter how much success he has he will always have intense downward swings.

Quick Reply

Latest