The Student Room Group

Arsey's M2 June 2013 Edexcel (BOTH UK + International) Solutions (in the first post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Student8
look at the bottom of arsey's post- there are past grade boundaries and apparently this paper will be similar to that of june 06/07. So 47 should be around a high B

You're reading it wrong. 47 is most definitely not a high b lol
Reply 81
Original post by Hamster96
You're reading it wrong. 47 is most definitely not a high b lol

it did seem a bit odd - how am i reading it wrong though ?
Original post by hassassin04
I complicated that problem so much. Splitted it into many pieces, calculated sides of triangles and got sqrts. At the end I got 5/12 I think which looked nice so I thought that's it and I did not check that question again..even though I had about 10min left.

I just put it into equilateral triangles to work out the COM's and the areas and it cancelled down pretty easily, others in my class did rectangles and triangles subtracting a rhombus or something like that? It confused me with their method either way.
Reply 83
Original post by Student8
it did seem a bit odd - how am i reading it wrong though ?

Spacing is a bit wrong so everything's shifted slightly, just match up all the headings to the numbers and you'll see
Hey for the a/b question I ended up with 4/6 but left it like that instead of putting 2/3 .
Reckon I'd still get all marks?
Maybe this is wishful-thinking, but I genuinely thought this paper was much harder than June 2012 (this paper had hard marks spread across more questions IMO). Hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower than the June 2012 ones.
Original post by Serpentine111
Maybe this is wishful-thinking, but I genuinely thought this paper was much harder than June 2012 (this paper had hard marks spread across more questions IMO). Hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower than the June 2012 ones.

I'm praying for this too!
Reply 87
Original post by InditeHarry
Hey for the a/b question I ended up with 4/6 but left it like that instead of putting 2/3 .

i doubt they'd penalise you for not cancelling that down. Both mean the same thing and they didnt ask for it in it's simplest form or anything
Reply 88
Spacing is a bit wrong so everything's shifted slightly, just match up all the headings to the numbers and you'll see

oh yeah ! thank you - ok 47 would be a middle C then if we are assuming this paper is similar to june 06/07
Reply 89
Original post by InditeHarry

I think you will get the marks - more often than not in the mark schemes it says awrt or something like that saying any equivalent value of the simplest dorm gains full credit unless stated otherwise in the question itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm praying for this too!

so am I, I thought this was a lot harder than june 2012.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey Arsey, thanks for the worked solutions. If anyone could help me, I was wondering that if I crossed out a correct answer and redid the question with an incorrect answer, would both the crossed out working and incorrect working be marked accordingly, or just the incorrect working? I was told by my Maths teacher that both would be marked, but I'm still a bit unsure. :s
Reply 92
For 3)b) I crossed out my diffrentiation and working it out when a=0 because it didn't feel like it did something. Instead I just put t=0 v=20 max velocity. full marks?
Original post by Arsey

I would be inclined to guess at boundaries similar to June 06/07

Going through and marking my results it appears that I am presented with a score of 58ish. According to your predictions this may even allow me to get 80 UMS.
I almost freaked out in the exam because I thought it was turning into a complete disaster.

This post, dear Arsey, has sincerely improved my quality of life. Your work is much appreciated.
Hello Arsey,
Are you sure the centre of mass is not 5/6 from O. I would appreciate if you can double check that one!
Thank you very much for the mark scheme...
Reply 95
I did the same for 3B not nosing what they wanted but hopefully if they wanted it they will gce me bod marks as under the crossing out
Original post by Username123
Hey Arsey, thanks for the worked solutions. If anyone could help me, I was wondering that if I crossed out a correct answer and redid the question with an incorrect answer, would both the crossed out working and incorrect working be marked accordingly, or just the incorrect working? I was told by my Maths teacher that both would be marked, but I'm still a bit unsure. :s

If you look at the fronts of the mark schemes and I've had this confirmed by my teachers, they will only mark the non crossed out working, because you have replaced it. They'd only mark both if neither had been crossed out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by thephysicsguy
Hello Arsey,
Are you sure the centre of mass is not 5/6 from O. I would appreciate if you can double check that one!
Thank you very much for the mark scheme...

He's done it right, no need to check it. It was definitely 1/2
Original post by kettlechips
If you look at the fronts of the mark schemes and I've had this confirmed by my teachers, they will only mark the non crossed out working, because you have replaced it. They'd only mark both if neither had been crossed out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the clarification, looks like I'll have to hope for low boundaries if I'm to even get a C by the looks of it with 47/75 : / Going to have to smash C3 and C4 if I want an A or A* now.
He's done it right, no need to check it. It was definitely 1/2

Oh okay then, no worries. I will do it tomorrow when I am not about to sleep... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending