The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I'm joint Music and English Lit student, and play the flute in the Wind Band. Flautists only have to audition if they want to be on the front desk. Quite a few people in it are Music students so will have done grade 8 - but don't let this put you off! With grade 5 you will find some of the music quite challenging, but you'll still have fun. I'm not in the Choir, but I expect the same rules apply - you only have to audition if you want a solo part. I'm not 100% sure about that though. Everyone auditions for the Symphony Orchestra (apart from lucky bassoon/bass brass instruments!), so you'd probably not want to try. I did grade 8 4 1/2 years ago and I still failed to get in! I think Wind Band and Choir would definitely be your best bets.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
yeah you dont have to audition to be in choir
Reply 3
are you in the choir Beigel?
Reply 4
is the music soc just for orchestras and choirs etc., or can people who play other instruments join, coz i play piano and guitar :smile:
Hey, was just wandering,

ive been playing cornet in a local brass band for about 10 years now, and was wondering if the windband or bigband use cornetists, or trumpetists, cos i really dont wanna trade in my booootiful cornet for a trumpet!
Reply 6
:biggrin:

think im gonna try for the bigband
I <3 Geog w00t
Hey, was just wandering,

ive been playing cornet in a local brass band for about 10 years now, and was wondering if the windband or bigband use cornetists, or trumpetists, cos i really dont wanna trade in my booootiful cornet for a trumpet!

I'm not sure, but I think it's very likely they will have cornet parts, and if you actually have a cornet then they're bound to be pleased!
Reply 8
I'm in the choir! i've really enjoyed it this year and encourage you all to join! You don't have to audition unless you want to do a solo, but even then the auditions aren't that scary. The music society is a great society to be part of, the after concert socials are always really good aswell!! :smile:
Reply 9
hey Katius can u tell me what sort of genre/type u sing please:smile:
Reply 10
Mainly stuff like Rutter, Howells, Brukner (well, that's mainly what we've done this year)!....nothing really very modern or contempory...just the type of music most choirs commonly sing! I really do enjoy it though (come and be an alto!!).

If the ULMS choir isn't the type you want to join, the university does have a gospel choir but that isn't part of the music society. ULMS is the major music society (Univeristy of Lancaster Music Society) but there are alternative music socities and live/unsigned societies etc aswell.

hope i've been of some help! :smile:
Reply 11
yes u have thanks. yay, glad to see Rutter in the rep.! sounds quite similar to what im in at the mo, didnt want to join some super serious full choral requiem group if you know what i mean!
Reply 12
hahah, no, it's not quite as bad as that! we work hard but we also have fun! I'm looking forward to next year! We've just had our Proms which was amazing! Something to look forward to next year, we gone Rutters Golria! twas good!

hope to see you in the ALTOS next year!! (as you may have guessed...i'm an alto) :tongue:
Reply 13
I'm yet to hear of any drum and bass societies :frown:
Reply 14
Katius
hahah, no, it's not quite as bad as that! we work hard but we also have fun! I'm looking forward to next year! We've just had our Proms which was amazing! Something to look forward to next year, we gone Rutters Golria! twas good!

hope to see you in the ALTOS next year!! (as you may have guessed...i'm an alto) :tongue:

hehe yeh i guessed lol. yep it sounds fun, more of a soprano come 'middle' part atm (mezzo-soprano surely??!!). I found a website with the ULMS Proms programmes, sounds like a good challenge! :smile:
Reply 15
JoeFen
I'm yet to hear of any drum and bass societies :frown:

Alas!! There's not a drum and bass society here (not that i know of anyways)!! You could start one though! i'd certainly join, my flatmate's started getting me into drum and bass recently! *woo* :smile:
Reply 16
Some college bars haven't looked upon it too kindly. Grizedale for example refused to have a dnb night. County has been the only bar to put on anything that is remotely close to it.

You're quite lucky too, Liverpool has some decent dnb nights that would be worth getting to. Does your college do any dnb nights?
Reply 17
lonsdale CERTAINLY doesn't do a dnb night...they only thing they do it RnB :frown: i want to see if we can get an alternative night...or at least a duke box so we can decided what we want to listen to! I think that may be part of the reason why the bar was so empty for the most part of last year! :rolleyes:
Reply 18
You're bar was heaving with italians in tight light blue levis whenever I was in there.

Alternative music means what?
Reply 19
hahaha...maybe that's why people avoided it...*ponders*

Alternative for lonsdale would be anything other than "r n b" which isn't even real R n B...i'd just like to hear different music in there..rock/indie/metal/pop/jazz..etc etc anything half decent!

Latest

Trending

Trending