The Student Room Group

Boarding school newbie!

So I'm starting boarding school this september for sixth form and I, like many others out there I'm sure, am just curious as to what actually goes on at school. I will be a full boarder - firstly, is it true that its just the chinese who full board? Just asking as I've heard that the foreigners seem to create cliques and stick together - true?
Secondly, what's the bitchiness like - I understand there will inevitably be some arguments as they will be 25 girls stuck in one boarding house, but I mean, from your experience, do these arguments resolve quickly, or do rumours start around school etc. ?
Thirdly is the dating and parying side of things. My school is mixed but the girls and boys' boarding houses are separated - do you often have late night drinking sessions on school fields, or sneak guys into your room?
Any essentials that I should bring or advice that I should know?
xxxxx
Original post by anniesmith007
So I'm starting boarding school this september for sixth form and I, like many others out there I'm sure, am just curious as to what actually goes on at school. I will be a full boarder - firstly, is it true that its just the chinese who full board? Just asking as I've heard that the foreigners seem to create cliques and stick together - true?
Secondly, what's the bitchiness like - I understand there will inevitably be some arguments as they will be 25 girls stuck in one boarding house, but I mean, from your experience, do these arguments resolve quickly, or do rumours start around school etc. ?
Thirdly is the dating and parying side of things. My school is mixed but the girls and boys' boarding houses are separated - do you often have late night drinking sessions on school fields, or sneak guys into your room?
xxxxx

1) It's not just internationals who board no - there are people from all over the country and obviously can't go back to their home at the end of the day so have to board. It really does usually depend on the people...of course internationals form their own little friendship groups as they share common interests, can speak in their mother tongues, etc but you get people who are easy to talk to and up for a conversation, you get people who are quite shy and you get people who don't really speak to other people outside of their friendship groups. Overall though, in my experience at least, the formation of cliques seem to be a lot more vicious in boarding schools than in non-boarding schools :s-smilie:.

2) It's quite bitchy actually - obviously because you all live on the same campus, rumours spread like wildfire. It depends on the rumour...if it's something quite small then it tends to get resolved quite quickly and people forget about it (obviously it can get brought up again from time to time) but if it's quite embarrassing, it can stick as a label :s-smilie: Obviously people stop talking about it but they don't forget...

3) I can't comment, I go to an all boy's school, but we usually keep (hide :tongue: ) alcohol in our rooms or go drinking, etc when we're allowed out of school grounds on the weekends - we don't usually do it on the school fields (from my experience) as the risk of a teacher catching you is too great and you'll get gated for the rest of the year :rolleyes: :tongue:

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Felix Felicis
1) It's not just internationals who board no - there are people from all over the country and obviously can't go back to their home at the end of the day so have to board. It really does usually depend on the people...of course internationals form their own little friendship groups as they share common interests, can speak in their mother tongues, etc but you get people who are easy to talk to and up for a conversation, you get people who are quite shy and you get people who don't really speak to other people outside of their friendship groups. Overall though, in my experience at least, the formation of cliques seem to be a lot more vicious than in non-boarding schools.
2) It's quite bitchy actually - obviously because you all live on the same campus, rumours spread like wildfire. It depends on the rumour...if it's something quite small then it tends to get resolved quite quickly and people forget about it (obviously it can get brought up again from time to time) but if it's quite embarrassing, it can stick as a label :s-smilie: Obviously people stop talking about it but they don't forget...
3) I can't comment, I go to an all boy's school, but we usually keep (hide :tongue: ) alcohol in our rooms or go drinking, etc when we're allowed out of school grounds on the weekends - we don't usually do it on the school fields (from my experience) as the risk of a teacher catching you is too great and you'll get gated for the rest of the year :rolleyes: :tongue:

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :biggrin:

ahh thank you, so helpful! i dont know whether this happens at your school, but where im going, 50 new pupils join the already 200 for sixth form... how accepting are the old students.. i know it must differ immensly from school to school, person to person but i've heard that a lot of the current pupils hate the new students, and get jealous etc... but being an all-boys school, im sure it doesnt happen as much!?
ahh thank you, so helpful! i dont know whether this happens at your school, but where im going, 50 new pupils join the already 200 for sixth form... how accepting are the old students.. i know it must differ immensly from school to school, person to person but i've heard that a lot of the current pupils hate the new students, and get jealous etc... but being an all-boys school, im sure it doesnt happen as much!?

No, we get people coming into the sixth form as well :biggrin: I've been there for a while now, so I guess I integrated into the school already but we're quite accepting of the new students :biggrin: But in my experience, the new students tend to usually form stronger friendship groups with the other new people (that's not to say that there's a full divide between older and new students, we still chat and go out together and stuff) but I guess it's just usually easier to form friendships with other people on the same boat as you :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
xxxxx

What boarding school is it? Likelihood is I've heard of it and could give you a better insight. However, this was what my boarding school was like.

1. A lot of chinese do board and they do tend to stick together, but they're not all like that. The Germans, French and Russians are the ones more likely to integrate with the English. The asians on the other hand tend to stick to themselves. Yes, there'll be a lot of international people but boarders will mainly (although it depends on the school) be English. But don't worry the international people are lovely and made some of my best friends.

2. My boarding house was very bitchy, but I know the other girls boarding house wasn't like that at all and they were more like a family. I wish I'd gone in the other boarding house! However, that was just my year and the year above and below were lovely. It depends from year to year. Unfortunately girls have a tendency to be bitchy, whether they're in boarding school or not. Rumours do spread but genuinely people don't believe them outside of the boarding house.

3. Partying and sneaking around does happen, its inevitable. However, the consequences are very harsh if you get caught. Your school will probably provide you with party like events on the weekend and at least 3 balls a year...they do this so you can get all your partying out and aren't tempted to rebel during the week. Of course a few of us went off smoking and brought in alcohol, but it was never anything extreme. In the Upper sixth we just used to go partying by going to stay with the day kids during the weekends.

I can't think of many tips other than enjoy yourself and don't be shy. That was my problem, I was too shy during my first year and didn't do half the stuff I wanted to do. People in boarding school are genuinely just the same as kids all over the country. Enjoy - you've been given an amazing opportunity!
Reply 5
No, we get people coming into the sixth form as well :biggrin: I've been there for a while now, so I guess I integrated into the school already and we're quite accepting of the new students :biggrin: But in my experience, the new students tend to usually form stronger friendship groups with the other new people (that's not to say that there's a full divide between older and new students, we still chat and go out together and stuff) but I guess it's just usually easier to form friendships with other people on the same boat as you :redface:

ahh okaii! just a quick question... i get a medical examination when i enter the school... what does this involve..!!???
ahh okaii! just a quick question... i get a medical examination when i enter the school... what does this involve..!!???

It may be different from school to school but mine just involved height, weight, blood pressure, history of your medical problems (e.g. asthma, etc) and that jazz :biggrin: Don't worry, they won't stick any big pointy needles in you...on the examination :wink:
Reply 7
It may be different from school to school but mine just involved height, weight, blood pressure, history of your medical problems (e.g. asthma, etc) and that jazz :biggrin: Don't worry, they won't stick any big pointy needles in you...on the examination :wink:

thank god for that... heard some slightly disturbing accounts of what happened... but i think they were from the 1970s!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending