The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2ndClass
You're actually content with the punishment and if you had your way, she wouldn't be "punished" at all

Your whole argument is essentially that we should selectively apply justice......... you're incredibly sexist and biased. You actually want to take this experience to raise awareness about rape rather than raising awareness of how false accusations not only erode the seriousness of rape claims but also the terrible impact it has on the defendants' lives.

I seriously worry for any man that ever gets involved with you tbh.

Yeah, I'm just waiting to falsely accuse him of raping me, all future boyfriends beware! :rolleyes:
Original post by edithwashere
Yes, but my point is that false accusations are extremely rare. Rape is not.

I'm sorry but how is that relevant? Just because a crime isn't particularly common, doesn't mean the punishment for it should be slack. Your attitude to this is disgusting. You care more about rape victims then the men in this article whose lives could have easily been destroyed. I wonder if you would change your attitude if you were a victim of false allegations as opposed to a victim of rape :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Pick the most OTT example, why don't you :rolleyes: And yes, I think all people should be given the chance to be rehabilitated, it's been proven in places like Norway that rehabilitation is far more productive for society than locking up all criminals forever (or murdering them, which you are apparently in favour of)

You said all crimes, Genocide is a crime, so how exactly would you rehabilitate Hitler, Or Stalin, or Idi Amin or Pol Pott?
Would you like to be accused of rape? It would have massive ramifications for years to come "Pinheads" you sound like Bill O Reilly and are as ignorant as him. Whats even more worrying is the Rape accusations are lightly banded about with Rebecca Watson being a case in point. So yes falsely accusing someone of rape should be heavily punished as it could get the murdered or assaulted and has grave implications in physical and emotional reflections. Falsely accusing someone of rape is an insult to both the victim and those who have been actually raped but you seem to be too ignorant to understand that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rational Thinker
You said all crimes, Genocide is a crime, so how exactly would you rehabilitate Hitler, Or Stalin, or Idi Amin or Pol Pott?

They're all dead, so they can't be rehabilitated :smile:

It was a theoretical question and is a valid point. It's easy enough for you to say in your ivory tower isn't it? Not so much when it's in reality. As this "woman" was able to get such an easy sentence she might do such a malicious act of a similar nature again.

Also as a another person has pointed out just because claiming rape under false pretences is rare doesn't make it any less grievous. Rape itself is quite uncommon but that too is disgusting. Both Crimes should be punished severely to do anything else is an injustice to the victims.
Reply 87
Original post by ArtGoblin
The issue with using 'who would rape her?' as an insult is that a lot of victims are made to feel that way. If we allow people to think that only 'attractive' people get raped, we risk rape victims fearing that they won't be believed because they don't fit into society's beauty ideal. We shouldn't be making it any harder for rape victims to come forward, so comments like that need to be challenged.

I think you're looking into it way too much.......
Reply 88
The UKs legal system is so messed up.

Hopefully one day she gets raped for real and nobody believes her. The girl who cried rape
Reply 89
No, how is it sexist to point out that false accusations are far rarer than people think? I posted an article which contains statistics. Those are facts, not sexist claims. Christ on a bike.

rare does not mean trivial.

Terrorist acts are rare, but are most certainly not trivial
Reply 90
If you just put her in jail, they would say it's going to put off women reporting rape. ****ing stupid how she can get away with it.
Reply 91
Original post by sarahthegemini
I'm sorry but how is that relevant? Just because a crime isn't particularly common, doesn't mean the punishment for it should be slack. Your attitude to this is disgusting. You care more about rape victims then the men in this article whose lives could have easily been destroyed. I wonder if you would change your attitude if you were a victim of false allegations as opposed to a victim of rape :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to suddenly enter the conversation, but the bit I've bolded is quite disturbing to me. Are you seriously suggesting that caring more about people who have actually been raped than people who have been falsely accused of it is disgusting? These men have had a rotten time, I'm not doubting that, but they have been proved innocent by a court and will have no criminal convictions, and people will be unlikely to hold this against them in the future. False allegations are a travesty, yes, but suggesting that caring more about the actual victims of the one of the most horrific crimes you can experience than the (very few) who are falsely accused of committing it is 'disgusting' is really quite concerning.
Original post by Kathi_Rose
I'm sorry to suddenly enter the conversation, but the bit I've bolded is quite disturbing to me. Are you seriously suggesting that caring more about people who have actually been raped than people who have been falsely accused of it is disgusting? These men have had a rotten time, I'm not doubting that, but they have been proved innocent by a court and will have no criminal convictions, and people will be unlikely to hold this against them in the future. False allegations are a travesty, yes, but suggesting that caring more about the actual victims of the one of the most horrific crimes you can experience than the (very few) who are falsely accused of committing it is 'disgusting' is really quite concerning.

No, but it's disgusting to turn this entire thread into a discussion about victims of rape and ignore the story/issue at hand as though this isn't important.
And, like Edithwashere, you've mentioned that very few people are falsey accused - what has that got to do with anything The fact that it's rare has no bearing on the seriousness of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
How disgusting. To lie about something like that? This is one of the reasons rape cases are so screwed up.
Reply 94
Original post by CodeJack
If you just put her in jail, they would say it's going to put off women reporting rape. ****ing stupid how she can get away with it.

It wouldn't, unless some people came along and decided to spin a story of how torrid the legal system is for rape victims. I imagine it is these tales that public figures tell that puts off rape victims from coming forward rather than a prison sentence for being proven to be lying. A real victim will either be able to prove the crime, or not have enough evidence to do so, but there won't be enough evidence to prove they were lying unless the rapist was especially devious and convincingly doctored a video tape of the victim consenting.
Reply 95
Original post by sarahthegemini
No, but it's disgusting to turn this entire thread into a discussion about victims of rape and ignore the story/issue at hand as though this isn't important.
And, like Edithwashere, you've mentioned that very few people are falsey accused - what has that gotto do with anything The fact that it's rare has no bearing on the seriousness of it.

The rarity of false rape allegations has everything to do with it. At the end of the day, these men are going to be fine. Their name has been cleared and they are free to continue to live their lives as normal. Massively hyping one case of a false rape allegation does absolutely nothing to solve the actual problem in society, which is rape itself. Anybody who is suggesting the same sentence for this woman as an actual rapist would get - or capital punishment - is missing the point that falsely accusing someone of committing a crime IS NOT THE SAME as actually committing that crime. Furthermore, the fact that it happens so rarely is another reason why giving her the same sentence as a rapist to act as a deterrent is virtually pointless: you have to be seriously mentally disturbed to do this to a person, and one women getting a harsh prison sentence for doing it is not going to put another one off. Look how well the death sentence is working as a deterrent in Texas et al.
Reply 96
Stupid bitch.
The rarity of false rape allegations has everything to do with it. At the end of the day, these men are going to be fine. Their name has been cleared and they are free to continue to live their lives as normal. Massively hyping one case of a false rape allegation does absolutely nothing to solve the actual problem in society, which is rape itself. Anybody who is suggesting the same sentence for this woman as an actual rapist would get - or capital punishment - is missing the point that falsely accusing someone of committing a crime IS NOT THE SAME as actually committing that crime. Furthermore, the fact that it happens so rarely is another reason why giving her the same sentence as a rapist to act as a deterrent is virtually pointless: you have to be seriously mentally disturbed to do this to a person, and one women getting a harsh prison sentence for doing it is not going to put another one off. Look how well the death sentence is working as a deterrent in Texas et al.

The fact that you are so casual about this issue is vile. How can they continue their lives as normal? "These men will be fine" - you know that for certain do you? Being falsey accused of something could have long term consequences, it could really mess them up. You obviously couldn't care less about that though...

How would you feel if I said, okay after the court case, a victim of rape can forget the whole shebang and move on with their lives. Would that be an appropriate and realistic comment to make? Or if I said, let's face it, once a woman has been raped, it's over and done with. She'll be fine! Doubt it .. I don't know why you think that being falsey accused of rape is simply over and done with once the men are found innocent. It's not that simple.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bestofyou
only fair she never got jail.

If she did women everywhere who were raped would be scare 2 come forward incase they get accused so lieing and then risk jail for getting raped themselves.

Fair point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it doesn't. Who cares if it is a rare case?

She is a stupid moose who should be doing jail time. Stop defending her, and how do you know that those men will be fine? They could have suffered stress, or serious Psychological damage because of that evil cow.

Latest

Trending

Trending