The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pandabird
You're completely clueless. Anyone who takes this guys advice is a fool, he's merely an ignorant, little A-level child.

Obviously someone's doing a psychology degree then haha. Good Luck.
Reply 81
Original post by TheRealJT
why on earth do people go to rubbish universities such as Bolton if the degrees are essentially worthless? not only that.... They get themself in debt.... Just to gain an undervalued degree :/

anyway what about if a person has an undergraduate degree from a rubbish university and then decides to go for a postgraduate degree with the same university... Would employers still deem the degrees useless?

Yes.
Reply 82
is birkbeck a terrible university? I can't even find it on the league table :/ does that mean its so bad that it can't even get on to the table?
Reply 83
Original post by Adenosine
Obviously someone's doing a psychology degree then haha. Good Luck.

I enjoyed reading your posts in the OCR bio exam page, you obviously try extremely hard, let's hope all the slogging works out. (Y)
Reply 84
is birkbeck a terrible university? I can't even find it on the league table :/ does that mean its so bad that it can't even get on to the table?

League tables mean **** all. Besides it all depends on the course, some technically poor universities have great departments and are very respectful for specific courses.
In the end, unless you're aiming for a real high end job, it doesn't really matter.
People like Adenosine are clueless, they aren't employers, they aren't even adults.
Reply 85
Pandabird, would a construction degree be valued by employers in construction regardless of which university I attended?

anyway how on earth do people get into universities such as Cambridge? Were they born with a book? are they just naturally clever? or can anybody be that clever if they put the work in?
Reply 86
why on earth do people go to rubbish universities such as Bolton if the degrees are essentially worthless? not only that.... They get themself in debt.... Just to gain an undervalued degree :/

anyway what about if a person has an undergraduate degree from a rubbish university and then decides to go for a postgraduate degree with the same university... Would employers still deem the degrees useless?

They only have to pay back their loans if they earn 21K a year, so really they aren't in debt until they earn that much. The question is whether you can earn that income without a degree.
Reply 87
I know a guy who has grade "f" in all of his gcse's and he earns 22k a year.... is he just lucky? or can it be done...
Reply 88
Pandabird, would a construction degree be valued by employers in construction regardless of which university I attended?

anyway how on earth do people get into universities such as Cambridge? Were they born with a book? are they just naturally clever? or can anybody be that clever if they put the work in?

Construction is a broad field. What type of construction work? I'd say for a lot of construction jobs apprenticeships might be best, where you can get hands on experience, which will be valuable to employers.

I'd say getting into the likes of Cambridge for most, involves a mix of having a high standard of education, with good extra curricular opportunities, a highly studious nature, and some natural intelligence. There's certainly a reason why such a high portion of Cambridge students attended independent schools. :smile:
Reply 89
I don't have a degree (applying this year) I'm 27, earned 32K in my last job so you can earn good money without a degree it's all dependant on the person and how hard they work on what they get out of life.
Reply 90
I know a guy who has grade "f" in all of his gcse's and he earns 22k a year.... is he just lucky? or can it be done...

It can definitely be done! Schools and universities only consider one type of ability, academic ability. Many people who struggled a bit during school go on to do really well in careers, and many people who do really well in school struggle with actually getting out there and working.

Btw, my Dad is friends with many successful men in the construction industry who've done very well for themselves but didn't perform well in school.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
The degree is BSc (hons) construction management.
Original post by oldie_2013
Why do you think that history has some magical 100% employment status and English is a waste of time? Who are these people who "convert" to history?

The vast majority of history students end up either in another field, or being a history teacher. I agree, it's not a magic degree
Reply 93
What exactly is your focus? It seems to me you only made an account so that you can comment on this thread.

You are not worth it. Anyone that wastes their time reading your apparent 'reality' is literally wasting their time. I have joined this site to hopefully gain advice and help from like minded and aspiring individuals, not arrogant, spiteful people like yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most people do a subject they like doing at university. Without actually taking into consideration what the degree's actually worth and where it will actually get you.

One of my friend's had a 1st from Oxford for Physics, no job. Then did a masters, no job. Then did a PhD, job. I **** you not. Physics is one of those degrees where the chances of finding a job is so small but the rewards are great.

Graduates always think. 'Oh just finished from uni, gonna get a job, gonna do that, get my house, earn over 50k a year' 1 year later they're living with mummy or renting. Happens all the time.

If you want a degree which is going to guarantee you 100% employment then I would suggest: Medicine, Law, History, Sciences, Maths (ONLY IF YOU GET 2.1 and above, IF YOU GET A 2.2 IN SCIENCE YOU MAY AS WELL just use your certificate as toilet paper).

Employment in the high end: this is what they do. They have an automated system of everyone that applied to their job. They then only view the ones that achieved firsts, they then select the top 10 universities in the data. They all then issue them interviews. From which the chances of getting a job are something ridiculous like 1 in 3000 - That's what it was for investment banking.

Employers, they always in the end make sure they achieve those who represent the 5%. By a series of tests.

Those that went to average universities will obviously have a much lower intellect than the 5%. You don't pass the test, you don't get in. To even put your foot through the door at a high end job, you need a 2.1 and above. 80% of students at kings achieve 2.1. With 12% achieving firsts. So the last 8% - They're absolutely screwed.

Thus, 2 tier degrees like Politics, International Relations. You're not going to get high amounts of money. Majority convert later to Law or history.

Which makes me wonder how other people survive with their silly degrees. Or even good degrees but at rubbish universities.

Those people that say: 'It is the degree that counts, not the university'. Sorry, that is utter bull crap. My answer to that is: why even do a levels then? Everyone may as well go to London Metropolitan. LOL

_____
Honesty is the best policy. 100% realist. If you can't take the heat get out the kitchen.

All good points, but some people don't want to hear the truth. Lots of degrees these day are ten a penny, or worse.

Many years ago when going to university was rare, any degree would almost guarantee a job, but that's history.
Reply 95
Well this seemed to get out of hand! but thanks for all the genuine replies. Like I said previously, I am looking to go into a career working with young people (11-19) I didn't make the best decisions after school and came from a fairly poor background but that life and now I want to carve a better future. ANY advice on what you might think is the best route for me would be much appreciated. I have applied for a few volunteering positions and am looking into access courses via the Open University, has anyone used them?? its sooo confusing when you have some people saying you need a degree to get anywhere, then you have some people saying that most degrees are useless and a waste of time! thanks again
Reply 96
I think a lot of people here are making the same mistake most people do and are just associating psychology with mental health. (this is what most people want to go into) there are many other fields that psychology has to offer. I personally am interested in developmental psychology and pursuing something along the lines of play therapy. I do not believe psychology is a pointless degree. Even if you do not pursue a degree directly related to psychology it offers a sound foundation od skills that employers look for, and often persons holding a degree (psychology or any other subject) may find it helps them climb further in their job role. Also I believe it is an individuals drive and determination that will allow them to pursue a role in psychology. If your lazy and unmotivated you will never succeed. I have friends who have studied psychology and have been very successful. One teaches, one works as a research assistant and another actually at the age of 32 has he Phd and works in clinical psychology. If you have the drive and passion you will go far, ignore the haters...do what you want.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
Djno1, I also want to work with youth in some role, and also want to eventually study with the OU, and I'm also interested in the OU access courses! I'm glad there are people in the same situation as me. anyway what are your qualifications?
Reply 98
Djno1, I also want to work with youth in some role, and also want to eventually study with the OU, and I'm also interested in the OU access courses! I'm glad there are people in the same situation as me. anyway what are your qualifications?

Just weighing up my options which is proving to be stressful! basically I could go to a local college to do an access course but will have to find £900, I could probably work my current job around it and pick up another part time maybe but would be tough, my qualifications are not great, but the access course I believe will help bump up maths and English, I only have a D in maths so will need increase that. I have looked into doing it with the OU but I don't think you get enough credits from their access course, currently waiting to hear back from a couple of uni's to see if they will except it or not.. would be ideal as the OU access course is only £25!
Reply 99
How old are you? And you're in a much better position than me! I have to redo all of my gcse's at the age of 20 because I had to leave school in year 10 due to an illness.

Anyway maths and English gcse's are free to anybody who does not have grade c or above... So you qualify for the free maths gcse.

secondly google distancelearningcentre and they have access courses which include maths, English and science gcse equivalents, granted its expensive but you can pay in instalments.

or you can study via the open university and if you're not confident starting with a degree you can work your way up to a degree :smile:. That way you don't have to stress over university requirements.

Latest