The Student Room Group

The Official 2013-14 BPTC Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The workload really isn't a problem, except in the second term when you have exams. Apart from that, the BPTC is a rather depressing experience, because it seems like a total waste of time, it is a rip off, and it takes up just enough of your time to stop you getting a job on the side.
Reply 21
I'm starting the BPTC at BPP Manchester in September :smile: anyone know term dates? Like when we break at the end of the year and stuff?
Hi awagg,

The registration date for the Full Time BPTC in Manchester is 13th Sept. The timetable is not out yet but should be out in the next few weeks.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
BPP University College
Reply 23
Original post by awagg
I'm starting the BPTC at BPP Manchester in September :smile: anyone know term dates? Like when we break at the end of the year and stuff?

Yey - another BPP Manchester student :smile: There is a programme matrix available on Blackboard, which can be accessed using the guest log in. That lists the end of the year as 13th June 2014.
Reply 24
I want to know when we break for Christmas because I'm going away!! I never got a guest log in :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by awagg
I want to know when we break for Christmas because I'm going away!! I never got a guest log in :frown:

I'll PM you it :smile:
Reply 26
Hi,

I accepted a place to do the BPTC at BPP Manchester but missed the deadline for the first installment of the BPTC fees. I have been informed that Manchester is full and therefore I am on a waiting list for a spot there (a place has been guaranteed at Leeds, but I already have a lease in Manchester for September).

I'm hoping that, as today pupilages were announced, some will perhaps defer, if anyone can weigh in on this it would be helpful.

From my reading on here by previous students, I was really under the impression that accepting a place was enough, and that payment could be made anytime before the start of the course.

So hey, anyone in Manchester fancy giving up your spot?? I hear the weather sucks there anyway!
Reply 27
Original post by SIE2013
Hey people.... I thought I would start a thread dedicated to the up-and-coming BPTC students who are due to start the course this September 2013, where we can all discuss matters, share our fears & stress and just generally talk about our experiences :smile:

Just to introduce myself, i have just graduated and I am going to be doing the BPTC at Nottingham Law School :smile:

I hope this thread is a good idea haha

Hi

I am also starting the BPTC in Nottingham Law School in September 2013.

Kay
Reply 28
Anyone doing the part-time BPTC at BPP Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I will be applying for the BPTC this year for the 2014/15 year. I live in Manchester and intend to apply to either BPP or MMU. Does anyone know which is better in terms of quality of teaching, teaching style, support or anything else?
Reply 30
Original post by msbrown
I will be applying for the BPTC this year for the 2014/15 year. I live in Manchester and intend to apply to either BPP or MMU. Does anyone know which is better in terms of quality of teaching, teaching style, support or anything else?

I was in the same position last year, debated between the two for a while and ended up choosing BPP. I asked a few Chambers at the Pupillage Fair if they would have a preference between the two and was told that there's very little in it in terms of reputation. A few did say that BPP has a better reputation nationwide; but in Manchester so many practitioners have done the course at MMU (because until last year there was no other choice) that it hasn't got the same recognised prestige as it might do in London.

I can't speak for MMU but the quality of teaching at BPP Manchester really is excellent. There are 48 students in the year, in four teaching groups of 12. This is further broken down into classes of four for advocacy. The tutors are all barristers; a few are still practising alongside teaching. They are all easy to approach, willing to meet outside of classroom hours, and supportive of applications etc.

The core materials are provided by the Bar Standards Board and will be exactly the same at each provider. However, I know that BPP teaches a lot more advocacy than is required by the BSB. I also believe that BPP has more choices when it comes to the elective modules.

Another thing to note is that BPP offers one of its other courses for free if you aren't in full time legal employment within 6 months of finishing; e.g. one of its business courses, the New York Bar, the LPC conversion, or an LLM. This used to only be in place for the LPC, but has just been extended for BPTC students.

I know a few students at MMU who are also thoroughly enjoying their course - so I appreciate my position is a little biased! If you contact each provider they will be more than happy to put you in touch with the course leader to discuss the finer details. BPP recently hosted an open evening for the Bar Course and I'm sure MMU have similar events.

EDIT: Another matter that swayed me is that last year BPP Manchester stipulated a 2:1 minimum entry requirement, whereas MMU's was a 2:2. I believe that they both now advertise 2:2, but every student on the course at BPP has a 2:1 or above.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by msbrown

As Xanyi has commented, BPP offer a BPTC career guarantee where students who do not secure pupillage 6 months after graduating are offered to study a qualification for free.

We advise students attend Open Evenings at their chosen institutions where they can ask questions about the course and meet their tutors. The next BPTC Open Evening at BPP will be 10th March - details to be announced on our events page in the new year. You can also visit our blog where you will find current student testimonials about what they think of their course and study centre.

If you have any further questions, you can emails us at [email protected] or follow us on @bpplawschool.

Kind Regards
BPP Law School
Reply 32
Thank you Xanyi, I appreciate taking your time to answer. It seems there is not much difference between the two but I think I am more swayed by BPP😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by msbrown
Thank you Xanyi, I appreciate taking your time to answer. It seems there is not much difference between the two but I think I am more swayed by BPP😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the BPTC at MMU last year so I can't talk for BPP. My view of MMU was that the tutors were generally sub-standard. A few were excellent but many were very poor and lacked either communication skills and/or subject knowledge. They claim to have connections with the bar and they do to some level but they seem to fail to put it into practice, and were not as supportive as they could have been in terms of organising extra curricular activities etc. Overall I left with a really quite poor opinion of the course and I can't say I'd recommend it, which is unfortunate.

The general quality of students was very mixed. They took on a great number who had no real hope of getting pupillage (many of whom who had done law undergrad at MMU), and around 20-25% of the year were not looking for pupillage in the UK anyway. There were a number of good students but the quality of your fellow classmates was mixed, which impacted on advocacy and it is taught in small groups. MMU also teach more advocacy than is required by the BSB.

By the sounds of it BPP may well be better than MMU, but you do also pay for that. If I recall the fees are around £2k higher? I also did my GDL at MMU, entitling me to a 10% discount, so I would have ended up around £3k out of pocket. At the end of it all the BPTC is not hugely relevant to pupillage- you learn a lot more on the job. As someone who is currently in pupillage in a London set I would say that pupillage committees seem to care very little about where you did the BPTC- they're much more concerned with your grades at undergrad/more relevant qualifications.

I hope this has helped. Please do DM me if you want me to answer any further questions.
Reply 34
Original post by Ewok
I did the BPTC at MMU last year so I can't talk for BPP. My view of MMU was that the tutors were generally sub-standard. A few were excellent but many were very poor and lacked either communication skills and/or subject knowledge. They claim to have connections with the bar and they do to some level but they seem to fail to put it into practice, and were not as supportive as they could have been in terms of organising extra curricular activities etc. Overall I left with a really quite poor opinion of the course and I can't say I'd recommend it, which is unfortunate.

The general quality of students was very mixed. They took on a great number who had no real hope of getting pupillage (many of whom who had done law undergrad at MMU), and around 20-25% of the year were not looking for pupillage in the UK anyway. There were a number of good students but the quality of your fellow classmates was mixed, which impacted on advocacy and it is taught in small groups. MMU also teach more advocacy than is required by the BSB.

By the sounds of it BPP may well be better than MMU, but you do also pay for that. If I recall the fees are around £2k higher? I also did my GDL at MMU, entitling me to a 10% discount, so I would have ended up around £3k out of pocket. At the end of it all the BPTC is not hugely relevant to pupillage- you learn a lot more on the job. As someone who is currently in pupillage in a London set I would say that pupillage committees seem to care very little about where you did the BPTC- they're much more concerned with your grades at undergrad/more relevant qualifications.

I hope this has helped. Please do DM me if you want me to answer any further questions.

MMU = Mickey Mouse University

Sub-standard tutors = sub-standard graduates
Reply 35
Hi
Hope you are well! I need noted for BPTC, can you send them to me please?
Original post by Noor07
Hi
Hope you are well! I need noted for BPTC, can you send them to me please?

Hi Noor07,

Is there anything in particular you would like to find out about the BPTC programme?

Thanks
Reply 37
Does anyone know how Judicial Review is assessed at the University of Law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LawGal007
Does anyone know how Judicial Review is assessed at the University of Law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

At BPP, Judicial Review is assessed by drafting grounds of appeal. If you have any further questions about the BPP BPTC programme, don't hesiate to get in touch
Can't believe how quickly this year has gone. Seems like only yesterday I was nervous about starting the BPTC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending