The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4A A2 14th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

I always revise for the skills exams in the same way, and I've so far managed an A in AS Skills and a B in A2 Skills.
I just write everything out in REALLY simple terms. For example, I'd write 3 two word bullet points on the location of my fieldwork, same with my aims etc, so I can remember them easily; I know I can stretch it all out properly in the exam.
For the actual skills part, I do the same. I write three bullet points on what's good and bad for each type of graph etc, and for the stats I simplify it as much as I can too, by writing things like "large standard deviation - numbers spread around the mean".

I know it seems simple but it's worked for me so far, and if anyone wants me to scan my notes etc, feel free to ask!

(Obviously my fieldwork might not be applicable for most people, but we did ours based on Bradshaw's Model, and how a river's variables change with distance from the source, so if you needed that too, you could adapt it? The risks etc are the same)
Reply 21
Original post by awkwardusername
I always revise for the skills exams in the same way, and I've so far managed an A in AS Skills and a B in A2 Skills.
I just write everything out in REALLY simple terms. For example, I'd write 3 two word bullet points on the location of my fieldwork, same with my aims etc, so I can remember them easily; I know I can stretch it all out properly in the exam.
For the actual skills part, I do the same. I write three bullet points on what's good and bad for each type of graph etc, and for the stats I simplify it as much as I can too, by writing things like "large standard deviation - numbers spread around the mean".

I know it seems simple but it's worked for me so far, and if anyone wants me to scan my notes etc, feel free to ask!

(Obviously my fieldwork might not be applicable for most people, but we did ours based on Bradshaw's Model, and how a river's variables change with distance from the source, so if you needed that too, you could adapt it? The risks etc are the same)

Would you mind scanning your notes in for the skills please? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22

yeah the notes on the statistics and stuff would be really neat please :smile:
Original post by Axion
yeah the notes on the statistics and stuff would be really neat please :smile:

Original post by Jade10128
Would you mind scanning your notes in for the skills please? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've tried to PM you both with the scanned in notes, but I'm not 100% sure it worked. If not, let me know and I'll try again! :smile:
I'm doing this :smile: Got a C in January, my entire school got awful marks, it was really bizarre. My teachers think it'll almost definitely be statistical on section B.
Reply 25
Original post by St. Brynjar
I'm doing this :smile: Got a C in January, my entire school got awful marks, it was really bizarre. My teachers think it'll almost definitely be statistical on section B.

please to god, no more damn mann s**tney
Original post by Axion
please to god, no more damn mann s**tney

If 4A was before 3 we'd have aced that exam (or at least that 7 marker)
Reply 27
Original post by St. Brynjar
If 4A was before 3 we'd have aced that exam (or at least that 7 marker)

yeah

I'd still have flopped the 7 marker
Reply 28

so worried about this exam, i learnt all the information i was given off by heart last time but screwed up by not answering the questions correctly and am so worried ill do the same again, any notes would be really helpful if its not too much trouble
Original post by goppo123
so worried about this exam, i learnt all the information i was given off by heart last time but screwed up by not answering the questions correctly and am so worried ill do the same again, any notes would be really helpful if its not too much trouble

I've PM'd you the notes :smile:
I know this sounds utterly ridiculous but loads of people I know who sat the exam over complicated it for you. The questions aren't there to trick you so don't look for double meanings!
Reading examiners reports might be useful too, but mainly, just look at the command word they use, and try and sort of buff out what you know, to make it look like you absolutely loved doing the investigation!
I HATED ours, there's nothing less interesting than measuring a river, but if you act like it was the best thing in the world, the examiner will see that and you'll get higher marks. Good luck!
Reply 30
So lots of people seem to think stats will come up. Which I agree with, I think it may be spearmans rank if they love us, if not the dreaded chi squared.... I dont think mann whitney U will be in it as we had it in unit 3 and it was in a recent unit4a paper
Reply 31
will we have to do any of the statistical tests or just evaluate the effectiveness of them and sport patterns and that?
Reply 32
Original post by razza41
will we have to do any of the statistical tests or just evaluate the effectiveness of them and sport patterns and that?

From what I've seen, they do most of the test and you just have to come to a conclusion from the values they've given, plus evaluate how useful that/alternatives are.
Reply 33
Can someone tell me how to calculate the wetted perimeter of a river?
Reply 34
Original post by razza41

Yes we may have to finish off a calculation, make sure you know how to do each one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So lots of people seem to think stats will come up. Which I agree with, I think it may be spearmans rank if they love us, if not the dreaded chi squared.... I dont think mann whitney U will be in it as we had it in unit 3 and it was in a recent unit4a paper

I dunno about around where you are, but all the schools near me had to use Spearmans Rank within their investigation, so we all ended up writing about it in the fieldwork section in January; by the looks of things, a lot of people did.
I really think it'll be Chi Squared, and if that's the case, I might just resort to crying!
Reply 36
Don't even know how to do anything with chi squared. there must be something somewhere online?
Reply 37
Original post by Axion
Don't even know how to do anything with chi squared. there must be something somewhere online?

It explains it quite well in the CGP revision guide, if not its in the Nelson Thornes aqa endorsed textbook (the main one you probably used in class) on page 272- which is also has an entire section for 4a
Reply 38
It explains it quite well in the CGP revision guide, if not its in the Nelson Thornes aqa endorsed textbook (the main one you probably used in class) on page 272- which is also has an entire section for 4a

could you photo or scan in the pages :colondollar:?

please :colondollar: :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Axion
could you photo or scan in the pages :colondollar:?

please :colondollar: :smile:

My scanner isn't working, but heres the pages from the textbook and CGP on chi squared, hope they're clear enough :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest