Reply 2
I'm in ferens hall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
What are you two studying? At Uni that is
Reply 4
International law :smile: you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm studying chemistry (hopefully). What room is everyone in?
Reply 6
M20A whatever that means haha you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
M08A, I think that means were almost neighbors or at least on the same corridor
Reply 8
Reply 9
M11
Reply 10
I was in Ferens M block this year! Just moved out a few weeks ago :smile: if you're M30 or below (ignore the 'a' it means nothing) then you're on the ground floor which is the largest floor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Reply 12
Original post by ellenlish
I was in Ferens M block this year! Just moved out a few weeks ago :smile: if you're M30 or below (ignore the 'a' it means nothing) then you're on the ground floor which is the largest floor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

30? How big is each block?
Reply 13
Original post by Ryans
30? How big is each block?

M block has 62 rooms - less rooms on the 2nd floor and the 3rd is even smaller. The other blocks in Ferens (a-e is kind of the 'right wing' and f-j the 'left' -- m block in the middle) are a lot smaller but still split over 3 levels I believe. These rooms are older and don't have en suites or wash basins and so are cheaper. m block is all ensuite and was completely renovated and partially extended for the 2012/2013 year and basically looks brand new (or at least it did when my year moved in :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
M block has 62 rooms - less rooms on the 2nd floor and the 3rd is even smaller. The other blocks in Ferens (a-e is kind of the 'right wing' and f-j the 'left' -- m block in the middle) are a lot smaller but still split over 3 levels I believe. These rooms are older and don't have en suites or wash basins and so are cheaper. m block is all ensuite and was completely renovated and partially extended for the 2012/2013 year and basically looks brand new (or at least it did when my year moved in :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What actually is the layout? That's what I'm confused about. For example, how many people share each kitchen?

Never actually looked round Ferens on the open day
Reply 15
Original post by Ryans
What actually is the layout? That's what I'm confused about. For example, how many people share each kitchen?

Never actually looked round Ferens on the open day

Don't worry I couldn't understand the layout before I got there either, but I'll do my best to explain! Basically it isn't one straight corridor with rooms on either side as I imagined it to be. As you come in through the main door you pass a few rooms on either side, then eventually as you follow it around you can turn either left or right and each will lead to other corridors where there are rooms. It's confusing at first but becomes straight forward after your first day - there's lots of double doors!! I have a few photos and videos of it actually but other than seeing it its so hard to explain haha, sorry!!

As for the kitchens there are 3 on the ground floor which seems to work out at 10 people per kitchen - I swapped about half way through the year so actually used two kitchens and there was around 10 in both I used. This sounds a lot but trust me the kitchens are HUGE - one cooker, two fridge freezers and loads of cupboards. Two tables and about 10 chairs. I had a friend in Nicholson so was self catered and obviously needed the kitchen more than me seen as I was semi catered but the ones in Ferens were easily double the size of theirs if not bigger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Don't worry I couldn't understand the layout before I got there either, but I'll do my best to explain! Basically it isn't one straight corridor with rooms on either side as I imagined it to be. As you come in through the main door you pass a few rooms on either side, then eventually as you follow it around you can turn either left or right and each will lead to other corridors where there are rooms. It's confusing at first but becomes straight forward after your first day - there's lots of double doors!! I have a few photos and videos of it actually but other than seeing it its so hard to explain haha, sorry!!

As for the kitchens there are 3 on the ground floor which seems to work out at 10 people per kitchen - I swapped about half way through the year so actually used two kitchens and there was around 10 in both I used. This sounds a lot but trust me the kitchens are HUGE - one cooker, two fridge freezers and loads of cupboards. Two tables and about 10 chairs. I had a friend in Nicholson so was self catered and obviously needed the kitchen more than me seen as I was semi catered but the ones in Ferens were easily double the size of theirs if not bigger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right that kind of makes sense. I'm just worried about bonding with people if there is no set number of people in each flat/block. Like for example in the other halls you have 24 people in each block, 8 on each floor so it might be easier to bond with those people. I'm probably just overthinking it, hopefully be ok when I am there :smile:
Reply 17
Sorry, internets been on the blink for weeks now.
Oooh nice mix aha, anyone getting cold feet about results day?
Reply 18
Original post by Alexwyatt

Oooh nice mix aha, anyone getting cold feet about results day?

Totally! I could puke when I think about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Ryans
Oh right that kind of makes sense. I'm just worried about bonding with people if there is no set number of people in each flat/block. Like for example in the other halls you have 24 people in each block, 8 on each floor so it might be easier to bond with those people. I'm probably just overthinking it, hopefully be ok when I am there :smile:

I lived in Ferens M Block Room 1 last year, dont worry about bonding with people, it in my opinion is not as easy as bonding with people as it is in other halls [for example nicholson] as as you said you have floors of people and Ferens is quite seperate, especially M block as its been refurbed.
However, as long as when you first get there you meet your neighbours everything is fine! you find people who you get along with in no time, everyone is in the same boat! facebook groups are a massive help, gives everyone a chance to break the ice. if your in m11 from what i remember its a nice room along a close tight knit corridoor so dont worry! hope results go well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest