The Student Room Group

Nelson Mandela

Do,you think he's gonna die soon I mean he is 94 and is ill what do you think will be the political implications of his death?

Scroll to see replies

Don't think there will be any political implications of his death tbh, he's just an old man now knocking on the door and his legacy will be left behind.
When he dies some will call him a great man, others will call him a terrorist. It will be another one of those debates.
Its sad to think hes probably on his last legs.
Reply 4
I will shed a tear when he dies. Great man.
Let's be realistic here the average life expectancy in South Africa is 52.5 years, he's on a hell of a lot of borrowed time.
Original post by Roger1
I will shed a tear when he dies. Great man.

im sorry but how?
i will celebrate his death as it is one less terrorist in the world
Reply 7
Original post by Blake-inator
im sorry but how?

Margaret Thatcher described him as a terrorist. Thankfully, history (and most same people) will disagree.

Great man; hope he recovers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by euphful
Margaret Thatcher described him as a terrorist. Thankfully, history (and most same people) will disagree.

Great man; hope he recovers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i ne
ver knew this! But she was a great lady so i suppose she must have said it
Reply 9
i ne
ver knew this! But she was a great lady so i suppose she must have said it

She wasn't a great lady and doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Nelson Mandela. Awful woman, awful ideals and an awful legacy. Vile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
im sorry but how?

Nelson Mandela is the best person to live in recent times and I pity you for thinking otherwise. He has assembled numerous accolades worldwide, which he wouldn't have if he was a terrorist.
Original post by euphful
She wasn't a great lady and doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Nelson Mandela. Awful woman, awful ideals and an awful legacy. Vile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

replace she with he (and Nelson Mandela with Margaret Thatcher), and you get my opinion....
Reply 12
replace she with he (and Nelson Mandela with Margaret Thatcher), and you get my opinion....

Based on what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roger1
Nelson Mandela is the best person to live in recent times and I pity you for thinking otherwise. He has assembled numerous accolades worldwide, which he wouldn't have if he was a terrorist.

He was a complete terrorist, and deserved to be tortured into insanity for what he did. There is nothing more evident of injustice than this man being praised
Reply 14
He was a complete terrorist, and deserved to be tortured into insanity for what he did. There is nothing more evident of injustice than this man being praised

So he's a terrorist for fighting for the right to be recognised as equal regardless of the colour of his skin? Would you call French resistance under the Nazis terrorists?

He lived in an unfair, intolerant and regressive country. He has contributed to the freedom and equality of millions of people. How is his legacy bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Guy Secretan
Do,you think he's gonna die soon I mean he is 94 and is ill what do you think will be the political implications of his death?

Original post by nase14_aldayz
Don't think there will be any political implications of his death tbh, he's just an old man now knocking on the door and his legacy will be left behind.

Well, most political analysts in SA are of the opinion that Nelson Mandela being alive is what is restraining more extreme and radical elements within the ANC from carrying out what they perceive is justice. They cannot hope to carry out this 'justice' whilst Mandela is alive as popular opinion would be rooted against them in the ideology Mandela represents, in that we should forgive each other for misdeeds done on all sides.

His death could either bring fairly significant political upheaval in SA, as the droves that follow(ed) the likes of racist political figures like Julius Malema show that there is a significantly sized portion of the population with an appetite for more aggresive 'justice' and punishment against the various non-ANC political and race groups.

Or the worms could stay in their woodwork if whoever is president at the time is strong enough to ride them out and not let them get a foothold in the party. Unfortunately I have my doubts in Mr Zuma being able to effectively hold them back without any repercussions, so I have little doubt there will be hate speech, riots, agendas and arrests aplenty once Mandela dies unfortunately. :frown:

But there is still some hope it can be avoided. :smile:
Original post by Seaton
Well, most political analysts in SA are of the opinion that Nelson Mandela being alive is what is restraining more extreme and radical elements within the ANC from carrying out what they perceive is justice. They cannot hope to carry out this 'justice' whilst Mandela is alive as popular opinion would be rooted against them in the ideology Mandela represents, in that we should forgive each other for misdeeds done on all sides.

His death could either bring fairly significant political upheaval in SA, as the droves that follow(ed) the likes of racist political figures like Julius Malema show that there is a significantly sized portion of the population with an appetite for more aggresive 'justice' and punishment against the various non-ANC political and race groups.

Or the worms could stay in their woodwork if whoever is president at the time is strong enough to ride them out and not let them get a foothold in the party. Unfortunately I have my doubts in Mr Zuma being able to effectively hold them back without any repercussions, so I have little doubt there will be hate speech, riots, agendas and arrests aplenty once Mandela dies unfortunately. :frown:

But there is still some hope it can be avoided. :smile:

Hey good post as you come from South Africa it is good to have your opinion. What do you think a of the ANC as a party also why did you leave South Africa?
Reply 17
He is certainly a great man and has set qn awsome example to younger african leaders

Posted from TSR Mobile
Top bloke, it'll be a shame to see him go.
Reply 19
Original post by Guy Secretan
Hey good post as you come from South Africa it is good to have your opinion. What do you think a of the ANC as a party also why did you leave South Africa?

The ANC today is your typical run of the mill post revolutionary political party. Full of people who don't really know what they are doing regarding governance and relying on the wave of public opinion that they generated as the main revolutionary group to stay in power.

Full of even post Apartheid convicted criminals due to nepotism and corruption, they hold their negative disposition against a segment of the population that makes up around 20% of it, and is racially based so better enabling them institute policies that damage these groups, where-as other revolutions were against foreign powers, religious groups, class or such, where it is more difficult to distinguish 'friend from foe', as is not the case with race.

The sooner they are out of power the better. Post revolution governments run by the revolutionists rarely work out well. Many of its current members played little or no part in the struggle against Apartheid so there presence in spite of criminal convictions/pending trials is even more the galling.

I was born in Scotland, left when I was three and have always wanted to go back. Not because of the political, economic, anything situation in SA, just wanted to. When you are so young such things don't really come into the thought process so I can't explain my answer any more than 'I always wanted to go back to Scotland' :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending