The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Furness College Applicants 2013/14

I saw a thread for everybody who'd chosen Grizedale and got jealous so I thought I'd make one for us Furnessians! :biggrin:

I chose Furness because I liked the idea of a small college where everybody recognises/knows each other, I think it will have a bit more of a friendly atmosphere. :smile: It's all superior en suite too, which I liked! And it's practically in the middle of the campus, so I can have an extra ten minutes in bed in the morning! Why've you chosen Furness?

Also, what degree are you doing? And where are you from? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've chosen furness!! I don't really know why though haha and I'm going to study business :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Ha you should be jealous. However, Furness was my back up.

From a future grizedalian. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My first choice is Furness! I just liked the look of it when I went up from a visit more than anything, but it was a close thing between Furness and Grizedale for me :tongue: I'm doing English Lit. with Creative Writing and I'm from Suffolk (alas, I fear being a southerner might mean winters up in the wilds of Lancaster will be pretty tough on me at first!)
Furness represent!

Hey everyone, I'm Jordan - currently a first year on the Furness JCR exec :smile: Nice to see some future Furnessians keen on college pride! I'd like to take this opportunity to formally congratulate you all on your choice of joining the People's Republic of Furness, the greatest college at the university, and would be happy to take any questions from those of you who have chosen Furness or are considering doing so.
I put Furness as my first choice :smile: I liked that it's a small college and seems quite close knit, and the location on campus is ideal for me.

I'm doing Linguistics and I'm from Bolton so I'm only a 40 minute train ride away from home. Thankfully I'm already somewhat used to the northern winters! :snowm:
Reply 6
Original post by Jennejy
My first choice is Furness! I just liked the look of it when I went up from a visit more than anything, but it was a close thing between Furness and Grizedale for me :tongue: I'm doing English Lit. with Creative Writing and I'm from Suffolk (alas, I fear being a southerner might mean winters up in the wilds of Lancaster will be pretty tough on me at first!)

You're the first southerner I've spoken to going to Lancaster- the winters aren't that bad, although it does rain a lot! :biggrin:

I've put Grizedale down as my reserve, it looked good too didn't it!?
Reply 7
Original post by dreadpiraterach
I put Furness as my first choice :smile: I liked that it's a small college and seems quite close knit, and the location on campus is ideal for me.

I'm doing Linguistics and I'm from Bolton so I'm only a 40 minute train ride away from home. Thankfully I'm already somewhat used to the northern winters! :snowm:

What exactly do you do in linguistics, I've heard it mentioned loads but I don't actually know what it is!? :colondollar:

Oooh, so will you be hauling all of your stuff on to a train in September? Rather you than me! :smile:

Our winters aren't that bad are they!? :biggrin:
Original post by SpiggyTopes
What exactly do you do in linguistics, I've heard it mentioned loads but I don't actually know what it is!? :colondollar:

Oooh, so will you be hauling all of your stuff on to a train in September? Rather you than me! :smile:

Our winters aren't that bad are they!? :biggrin:

I hadn't even heard of linguistics until I started looking at uni courses! It's the study of language and how it works :smile:

Haha nah, my dad will be driving me up to Lancaster and giving me a hand with my stuff- after going on the tube in London with luggage during rush hour, the combination of suitcases & public transport is somewhat unappealing :tongue:

I suppose they could be worse, although we did get heavy snow in March this year! (Don't know whether that was just us or the whole country though). Where are you from? :smile:
Reply 9
I hadn't even heard of linguistics until I started looking at uni courses! It's the study of language and how it works :smile:

Haha nah, my dad will be driving me up to Lancaster and giving me a hand with my stuff- after going on the tube in London with luggage during rush hour, the combination of suitcases & public transport is somewhat unappealing :tongue:

I suppose they could be worse, although we did get heavy snow in March this year! (Don't know whether that was just us or the whole country though). Where are you from? :smile:

Oh good! I went on the tube last year during rush hour too- it was horrible! Can't imagine it with luggage! :biggrin:

Oh dear God, don't remind me about March! I'm from Chester, about an hour's drive from the uni, maybe slightly more. Not too far from you! :smile:
Oh good! I went on the tube last year during rush hour too- it was horrible! Can't imagine it with luggage! :biggrin:

Oh dear God, don't remind me about March! I'm from Chester, about an hour's drive from the uni, maybe slightly more. Not too far from you! :smile:

It was a school trip so I was with around 20 other people and we all piled on at once with our luggage- you could just hear everyone else thinking "oh no, here we go" :tongue:

Haha March was ridiculous, hopefully we won't be getting a repeat of that next year! I remember being huddled inside with a blanket while my friend ran out in her shorts and T-Shirt to make a snowman :confused:

Yeah I think in a car you're about the same distance from Lancaster as me :smile: It's the perfect distance for me- far enough to be independent but close enough that I can go home for a weekend if I wanted to.
Reply 11
It was a school trip so I was with around 20 other people and we all piled on at once with our luggage- you could just hear everyone else thinking "oh no, here we go" :tongue:

Haha March was ridiculous, hopefully we won't be getting a repeat of that next year! I remember being huddled inside with a blanket while my friend ran out in her shorts and T-Shirt to make a snowman :confused:

Yeah I think in a car you're about the same distance from Lancaster as me :smile: It's the perfect distance for me- far enough to be independent but close enough that I can go home for a weekend if I wanted to.

When I went there was a train coming every minute but only about two people could get on each time because it was so jam packed, I don't know how you all managed to get on!

Surely Bolton must be much closer, I have to go past Liverpool and Manchester before I even reach Bolton!? :biggrin: Anyway, about an hour away is definitely the perfect distance! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
When I went there was a train coming every minute but only about two people could get on each time because it was so jam packed, I don't know how you all managed to get on!

Surely Bolton must be much closer, I have to go past Liverpool and Manchester before I even reach Bolton!? :biggrin: Anyway, about an hour away is definitely the perfect distance! :smile:

It was quite a challenge, getting off again was even harder!

I think there are two routes you can take from Bolton to Lancaster and one of them gets you there a bit more quickly but for some reason my dad always chooses the other one :tongue:
Reply 13
It was quite a challenge, getting off again was even harder!

I think there are two routes you can take from Bolton to Lancaster and one of them gets you there a bit more quickly but for some reason my dad always chooses the other one :tongue:

Haha My dad does that sometimes, he says 'let's take the scenic route'. I just want to get there Dad!! :biggrin:
Haha My dad does that sometimes, he says 'let's take the scenic route'. I just want to get there Dad!! :biggrin:

Definitely won't be letting my dad take the scenic route on arrivals weekend, I just want to get there!
Reply 15
You're the first southerner I've spoken to going to Lancaster- the winters aren't that bad, although it does rain a lot! :biggrin:

I've put Grizedale down as my reserve, it looked good too didn't it!?

Really? Sounds like I might be a bit outnumbered then! Haha, I'll just have to get used to the rain I suppose :tongue:

Yeah, I really liked Grizedale as well - it was so difficult to choose! But at least I'll be somewhere I like even if I dont make Furness.
Reply 16
Original post by FurnessCollege
Furness represent!

Hey everyone, I'm Jordan - currently a first year on the Furness JCR exec :smile: Nice to see some future Furnessians keen on college pride! I'd like to take this opportunity to formally congratulate you all on your choice of joining the People's Republic of Furness, the greatest college at the university, and would be happy to take any questions from those of you who have chosen Furness or are considering doing so.

Hi Jordan. How likely do you think it is that I will get my first choice in college (and accommodation) which is Furness? :smile:

SNAP omg im from Bolton doing language though might see you in Furness!
Original post by jessssssmol
SNAP omg im from Bolton doing language though might see you in Furness!

Yay another Boltonian! :five:

If you don't mind me asking, what sixth form/college did you go to? I went to Canon Slade :smile:
Reply 19
I choose Furness too!! Going to study business and coming from Sweden MALMÖ REPRESENT

Hey, do you guys know if the accommodation is like first come first served or do they just pick randomly in the pool of applicants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending