The Student Room Group

Do you think that GCSEs are too easy?

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs are easy, but that's alright given that they are the first proper exams that people sit.

What needs to go, or at least change dramatically, is coursework. It's too easy, you can just go home and get your parents or the Internet to tell you what to say - and depending on the teacher, possibly your teacher too.

I've never lost more than a mark on English coursework but that is not because I am good at English, I consider it one of my worse subjects. All the ideas or nice metaphors or whatever that I put down come out of someone else, not me, and all I have to do is remember them. And while obviously I'm glad that I may be able to get an A* despite only getting a low A in both of the two exams I've sat so far, this is not a fair or useful system and ought to be changed. The only reason it hasn't been scrapped yet is that it's the only thing keeping some people from getting below a C - if you can only get a C through coursework, you don't deserve one.

That turned into a bit of rant...
i believe that gcses aren't that hard but they are stupid as they have coursework; that makes or breaks your final grade. so you can beast and feast in the exam but do badly in the c/w and end up with a b; for example. To the best of my knowledge there isnt that much dependency on c/w in a levels; eg c/w making less than 20% lets say.

anyway; thats my view
Reply 22
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
What you must remember is that GCSEs are designed to be taken by the majority of the population whereas A-Levels are a more challenging course designed for a smaller number of people. From what I gather, the original O-Levels were more like the current AS Levels, but they were only designed, originally at least, for a very small number of 16 year olds (I think around 20%). A student who, if they had been in the 1950's, would have been eligible for O-Levels would likely be very successful at GCSEs. I think AS do bridge the gap well enough, but you are right that it is still a jump. I don't think GCSEs should be harder, because of what I have said above, but I do think that schools should stretch students who can cope with the work so they are more prepared for further education. The school I go to makes the year 11's all do an AS of their choice AND General Studies AND a maths extended qualification as well as all of the GCSEs they have to do. They are very well prepared for A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You say that, but I think it was 97% of my school year (not a grammar or anything like that) got 5 A*-C. Probably 85% stayed on for sixth form. I go to school on a rural area, so those who left at sixteen mostly left to become farmers lol.
I think that what your school is doing sounds good! I wish I'd had access to that kind of thing in year 11, it would have helped so much.
Reply 23
I personally found GCSEs a lot harder than A levels. Getting the motivation to try was incredibly hard, whilst at A-level, I feel like I'm working towards something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Velvet4
You say that, but I think it was 97% of my school year (not a grammar or anything like that) got 5 A*-C. Probably 85% stayed on for sixth form. I go to school on a rural area, so those who left at sixteen mostly left to become farmers lol.
I think that what your school is doing sounds good! I wish I'd had access to that kind of thing in year 11, it would have helped so much.

Wow, that's amazing figures. My old school was about 65% 5A*-C. Quite a lot went to do vocational courses after year 11. I wish I had that in year 11! I moved to my current school, a grammar, for sixth form. I never got such help. I manage to keep up with the others, but at the start of lower sixth it was hard because they were light years ahead, especially in maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
GCSEs strongly correlate with IQ (Deary 2006), also on the level 1 grades I think. GCSEs are designed to test something like 90% of the population.

A-Levels are for about 30% of the population (perhaps more now, originally less than that), and they are supposed to prepare for university entry, that's why the step-up is so big.

If you want GCSEs to be harder, that's fair enough, but then they will no longer serve the same purpose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Velvet4
Maybe GCSEs should be taken in year ten, (for higher students at least) and then in year 11 there should be something to bridge the gap more.

Yes! And there should also be no options for modular GCSES, its way too easy, I didn't even know modular GCSES existed until exam period and my friends were baffled that I had to learn 2 years worth of stuff all over again. And still, even though all of my GCSES were linear, I still didn't find it challenging AT ALL.
I didn't really work that hard for GCSEs and I ended up with fairly decent grades. I won't say it was awfully easy because they weren't for me but I felt A-levels to be a bit easier to deal with. 4 subjects that you like is much more desirable than doing 9 subjects, which include a bunch that you don't like.

Don't get me wrong. A-levels weren't a walk in the park. Physics was a flying mother****ing bitch. No joke.
Reply 28
Original post by MathB1tch
I completely agree, I think there should be something like Foundation level, Higher level, and Advanced Higher Level papers (instead of just foundation and higher) to prepare the "abled" (?) students for the likes of Alevels. In all 4 of my choices, the jumps have been huge, and I think the biggest by FAR is Maths. Perhaps I see it as a huge jump because I'm doing the AS and A2 in one year, but GCSE maths is pretty much a joke compared to the level of detail and breadth it goes into at alevel, and the exam style is completely different. An absolute joke.

There also should be a 'Further Maths' GCSE to perhaps bridge the gap between AS maths and GCSE maths.

There is a Further Maths GCSE now, and I did find it very helpful. I didn't struggle with AS Maths at all, except statistics.
Reply 29
Yes. You don't need much natural ability to do well at GCSE, only a willingness to work hard and decent self-control. The step up to A-Levels is too big, because at A-Level they assume you actually have an interest in the subject since you picked them rather than had them forced on you and therefore a willingness to read around the subject. Plenty of people coming into my school at sixth form level did very well in the previous year but crash and burn at A-Level.
Original post by Plainview
Yes. You don't need much natural ability to do well at GCSE, only a willingness to work hard and decent self-control. The step up to A-Levels is too big, because at A-Level they assume you actually have an interest in the subject since you picked them rather than had them forced on you and therefore a willingness to read around the subject. Plenty of people coming into my school at sixth form level did very well in the previous year but crash and burn at A-Level.

I managed to get Us and nothing at C or above so they are not easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending