The Student Room Group

University cut-off scores for BMAT/UKCAT

Basically is anyone aware of the the possible cut-off scores for bmat and ukcat in terms of medical schools in scotland ??

also, how difficult would it be to achieve them and how much work needs to go into achieving them as i am aware the marking of them isn't so simple!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by afnanm1
Basically is anyone aware of the the possible cut-off scores for bmat and ukcat in terms of medical schools in scotland (and also oxford, as i want to apply there too)??

also, how difficult would it be to achieve them and how much work needs to go into achieving them as i am aware the marking of them isn't so simple!!!

Here's a ukcat preparation thread you might find useful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356

And here's a wiki article all about the ukcat and how different universities use them:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

If you want anymore information, the specific medical school threads can be helpful to find specific cut offs :smile:
Reply 2
Oxford gives info on how it uses the BMAT and other things here.
Original post by afnanm1
Basically is anyone aware of the the possible cut-off scores for bmat and ukcat in terms of medical schools in scotland (and also oxford, as i want to apply there too)??
also, how difficult would it be to achieve them and how much work needs to go into achieving them as i am aware the marking of them isn't so simple!!!

If you read the article on 'applying to your strengths' in the wiki, it will flag med schools where your UKCAT score should be a major factor in deciding whether to apply or not. But that article will only tell you about last year. As far as I know, cutoffs are decided after all the applications are received. The med schools want to reduce the number of applications they have to consider, but this is very unfair to applicants who are close to the borderline, and who applied thinking they would be safe. Newcastle takes this to extremes, and has upped the UKCAT cutoff in each of the last 3 years so that it's now close to 700!

This thread has good advice on preparing for the UKCAT... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356

Good luck!
Original post by Pastaferian
If you read the article on 'applying to your strengths' in the wiki, it will flag med schools where your UKCAT score should be a major factor in deciding whether to apply or not. But that article will only tell you about last year. As far as I know, cutoffs are decided after all the applications are received. The med schools want to reduce the number of applications they have to consider, but this is very unfair to applicants who are close to the borderline, and who applied thinking they would be safe. Newcastle takes this to extremes, and has upped the UKCAT cutoff in each of the last 3 years so that it's now close to 700!

This thread has good advice on preparing for the UKCAT... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356

Good luck!
Thanks!
Reply 5
This might be useful: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/How%20is%20the%20UKCAT%20used.pdf

I'd imagine the wiki on here is updated too so you might not even need to use the above link.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pastaferian

Good luck!

What do you think it will be this year?
Original post by Loiks94
What do you think it will be this year?

Who knows? They set it after the UCAS deadline, based on the calibre of the pool of applicants. IMO, there are two possible scenarios - either the year on year rise in the cutoff will frighten off people near last year's cutoff, resulting in a drop in the number of applications and a fall in the threshold, OR the likelihood that a strong score leads to an interview will attract even more high scorers, resulting in a rise in the threshold. IMO, anyone within 20-30 points of last year's threshold should be asking themselves how much they want to study at Newcastle, and whether they want to take a risk.
Reply 8
Perhaps you could look at UCL? They overlooked my BMAT score last year!
Original post by Smushy
Perhaps you could look at UCL? They overlooked my BMAT score last year!

was it because your predicted grades were pretty high?
Reply 10
Original post by RevisionNad
was it because your predicted grades were pretty high?

I can't tell you :smile: My school never let me see my predicted grades! My interview was quite late in the year though! I reckon I got in through sheer luck! I also think UCL is quite focused on the philosophical aspects of medicine, if that makes sense, and they're less bothered about 'stats'. So if your strengths aren't necessarily purely academical and if you are well rounded with loads of extra-curriculars I'd definitely advise you to apply :smile:
Original post by Smushy
I can't tell you :smile: My school never let me see my predicted grades! My interview was quite late in the year though! I reckon I got in through sheer luck! I also think UCL is quite focused on the philosophical aspects of medicine, if that makes sense, and they're less bothered about 'stats'. So if your strengths aren't necessarily purely academical and if you are well rounded with loads of extra-curriculars I'd definitely advise you to apply :smile:
Thanks, I will not be predicted higher than a C at the moment but I would love to go to UCL, not sure I will get the grades, but I have extra-curriculars, would you suggest I apply? I love the fact that the course includes some philosophy and if you don't mind me asking, are you a current student? What year?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by RevisionNad
Thanks, I will not be predicted higher than a C at the moment but I would love to go to UCL, not sure I will get the grades, but I have extra-curriculars, would you suggest I apply? I love the fact that the course includes some philosophy and if you don't mind me asking, are you a current student? What year?

What kind of extra-curriculars? :smile: Do you have a well rounded set of A-levels? I think they love it if you have an extra language or something of the sort! :smile:

Is this for Chemistry? Or for all your subjects? I'm pretty sure my predicted grade was above an 8.5 for all my sciences, which would be equivalent to an A.

I applied for deferred entry :smile: I'm in China now, but I'm enrolling next year! :smile: I'm basing what I said on my own application and on my interview questions! I wrote my BMAT essay on a quote by voltaire? which said something like Doubt is uncomfortable but certainty is ridiculous. We had quite an interesting debate about this essay, about the link between science and politics, about religion in medical practice, about euthanasia, about free will and then there were a few questions about multiple sclerosis, the red cross and the Cyprian conflict+ the accession of Turkey to the EU. It's almost a year ago though, so it's hard for me to remember everything! These topics might seem random but they're all personal statement based :smile:

I'd say go for it! :smile: They told me to make 1 ambitious choice, 2 just right choices and 1 insurance choice + 1 non-medical course at a good uni. Perhaps UCL could be your ambitious choice?
Original post by Smushy
What kind of extra-curriculars? :smile: Do you have a well rounded set of A-levels? I think they love it if you have an extra language or something of the sort! :smile:

Is this for Chemistry? Or for all your subjects? I'm pretty sure my predicted grade was above an 8.5 for all my sciences, which would be equivalent to an A.

I applied for deferred entry :smile: I'm in China now, but I'm enrolling next year! :smile: I'm basing what I said on my own application and on my interview questions! I wrote my BMAT essay on a quote by voltaire? which said something like Doubt is uncomfortable but certainty is ridiculous. We had quite an interesting debate about this essay, about the link between science and politics, about religion in medical practice, about euthanasia, about free will and then there were a few questions about multiple sclerosis, the red cross and the Cyprian conflict+ the accession of Turkey to the EU. It's almost a year ago though, so it's hard for me to remember everything! These topics might seem random but they're all personal statement based :smile:

I'd say go for it! :smile: They told me to make 1 ambitious choice, 2 just right choices and 1 insurance choice + 1 non-medical course at a good uni. Perhaps UCL could be your ambitious choice?

Thank you for your advice
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest