The Student Room Group

Can I marry my gorilla?

Scroll to see replies

That is the worse response I have ever heard. First of all a toaster does not have a mind so it can't even make a decision.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I bet that marriage had it's ups and downs.

hahaha because a roller coaster goes up and down yeah?
I think we know which one in that couple makes the breakfast. I guess the Hamster would wear the trousers.
Original post by ihatebrownbread
hahaha because a roller coaster goes up and down yeah?

........Yeah.
Reply 64
Why is the issue of animal consent even being brought up? If we don't care about animal consent when we slaughter them for food, and kidnap them from their families to place in zoos and in our houses as pets and entertainment, haven't our actions proven that we don't care about what an animal freely consents to? We can't just pick and choose when to start caring about animals as people.

If the animal isn't being harmed - such that what's being done to it could come under torture - then there really is no objection to be raised if you use the flexible definition of marriage as is becoming popular now.
Original post by mr hyde
Why is the issue of animal consent even being brought up? If we don't care about animal consent when we slaughter them for food, and kidnap them from their families to place in zoos and in our houses as pets and entertainment, haven't our actions proven that we don't care about what an animal freely consents to? We can't just pick and choose when to start caring about animals as people.

If the animal isn't being harmed - such that what's being done to it could come under torture - then there really is no objection to be raised if you use the flexible definition of marriage as is becoming popular now.

Surely what many pet owners do every day is virtually the same as marriage. How many times do you see people kissing their dogs in public, etc?
Ask your dad.
Reply 67
Just casually scrolling down the screen and then before I even click on the thread I'm like: :eek:
I bet that marriage had it's ups and downs.

Because rollercoasters go left and right, right?
Reply 69
Original post by bestofyou
I have nothing against gays, in fact I don't even have much of an issue with them getting married. Wouldn't effect me.

Then why bother even making the slightest protesting fuss? It's obvious that it's important to some people for reasons you clearly don't understand. If you don't have an issue (which is debatable considering you're drawing similarities between man-man and gorilla-man) and it wouldn't affect you then why would you even make this thread.
Original post by hello calum
Because rollercoasters go left and right, right?

Go kill someone else's jokes dude.
The only reason I'd say marriage to a gorilla is stupid is because the point of marriage is to have equality between the partners that is enforced by the state. The state doesn't and shouldn't recognize gorillas as deserving of equal treatment to humans. Like, in a divorce you wouldn't ask a gorilla for half its earnings and the state wouldn't force you to give the gorilla half of your possessions.
Reply 72
Go kill someone else's jokes dude.

Whenever I see you write anything on this website I can't help assume you're laughing as you're saying it because of your avatar.
Original post by Lgambo
Whenever I see you write anything on this website I can't help assume you're laughing as you're saying it because of your avatar.

If I'm not laughing I'm crying.
Reply 74
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Surely what many pet owners do every day is virtually the same as marriage. How many times do you see people kissing their dogs in public, etc?

I can't think of any society - or even anyone I know who owns pets - that would consider that being marriage. The relationship between a pet and their owner just isn't romantic, it's more parental. And even if it were, in how many marriages (except for forced ones, which aren't legal anyway) is one person allowed to have complete control over the other? Legally, having a pet is more like having a slave than an equal spouse.
Original post by perfezione
what the hell...... is this really what society has come to :confused: :/

How incredibly self centered and small minded of you :rolleyes:
Reply 76
If anyone ever lives with a gorilla i advise always leaving the toilet seat up..

(even if they're female)
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
How incredibly self centered and small minded of you :rolleyes:

er no not really :h:
Reply 78
Original post by bestofyou
Hypothetically, if I had a pet gorilla, could I get married to it?

Apparently the definition of marriage can be changed from 'union between man and woman' to fit the current flow of events, in this case gay people getting married. I have nothing against gays, in fact I don't even have much of an issue with them getting married. Wouldn't effect me. I just don't see how it is in 100% necessity to have the term married above their names?

Others have mentioned you can't get married to real, living animal, some others have mentioned that someone married their pillow.

So maybe if it was a toy gorilla you could marry it?
Original post by mr hyde
I can't think of any society - or even anyone I know who owns pets - that would consider that being marriage. The relationship between a pet and their owner just isn't romantic, it's more parental. And even if it were, in how many marriages (except for forced ones, which aren't legal anyway) is one person allowed to have complete control over the other? Legally, having a pet is more like having a slave than an equal spouse.

Since when was marriage about romance? That's just the emotion we've attached to it. The definition of marriage has changed; as you mentioned forced marriages are illegal but just because a marriage is not forced does not mean it was done for love/romance. Marriage used to be for a man and a woman exclusively, that's changed; procreation used to be a main reason for marriage (and some believe part of the definition) that has also changed. Clearly the definition is considered flexible to society's demands so if consent is the only thing stopping a man(or woman) marrying a gorilla then as soon as it can be proven that other animals are able to make conscious decisions-why not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending