The Student Room Group

If you could invest £10k today, where would it be and why?

Scroll to see replies

Postgraduate education, man I have no idea how I'm going to afford it when I'm finished with my bachelors degree. :frown:
Reply 21
You hear that woosh? That was all of your info flying over my head. I don't know anything about investing. This is why I was going off my business teachers advice!
Reply 22
I've said before she only plays games with it, she has like 50K in Barratts shoe shop and if they went bust tomorrow I don't think she'd really care.
no point going for big companies, any gains will be minimal. go for POLR, huge gains at the moment
Original post by Wattsy
Our millionaire business teacher always told us that M&S was a safe steady-away investment and I'm fairly risk averse when it comes to money so I'd probably pin it in there.

Never put all your eggs in one basket. There are many safer investments than stocks anyway.. US T-bonds, UK Gilts and German Bunds to name a few.

I would stick the £10k in a mutual fund managed by an established bank or asset management firm. In the long term it's pretty much as safe as sticking the money in a savings account, but yields far greater returns.

I dabbled with the idea of investing in stocks and I had actually read several books on it, but for the profession I'm going into I'm restricted from purchasing a good number of securities.

Mutual fund for now. Property later.
Original post by Wattsy
You hear that woosh? That was all of your info flying over my head. I don't know anything about investing. This is why I was going off my business teachers advice!

Number 1 rule of investing. Don't rely on one person for advice.
I'd invest in in myself
Invest in KFC they have rising profits
i would invest it in stamps.
they are bound to put the price up in a year or so, then i would be sitting pretty.
Reply 29
Bitcoin.
Tesla - in 2013 when there stock was 94. I wish I invested more
£10k I'd probably use it towards a deposit for a tyre scrapping machine.
Strategic bond fund..
Reply 33
Original post by Limpopo
Strategic bond fund..

Whyd you go into bonds when gobal monetary policy is likely to tighten..?
Original post by Quady
Whyd you go into bonds when gobal monetary policy is likely to tighten..?

I think it will be a long time until we see significant interest rate rises. They will just tickle around the edges with a tiny increase here and there. Equities are overcooked in some sectors. What else to do but buy into the debt of high grade companies? there's plenty of it about.
Interesting question. As thing's stand i'd probably split it between 10.

Berkshire Hathaway
National Grid
Apple

Not sure about the rest right now as i like diversity and valuations are a little warm for long term investing.

I'd also be looking at ETF's.
Reply 36
Original post by Limpopo
I think it will be a long time until we see significant interest rate rises. They will just tickle around the edges with a tiny increase here and there. Equities are overcooked in some sectors. What else to do but buy into the debt of high grade companies? there's plenty of it about.

Fairy muff
Original post by Rakas21
Interesting question. As thing's stand i'd probably split it between 10.

Berkshire Hathaway
National Grid
Apple

Not sure about the rest right now as i like diversity and valuations are a little warm for long term investing.

I'd also be looking at ETF's.

Do you think NG can still add to its share price? It seems to be flying a little high at the moment.
Original post by Limpopo
Do you think NG can still add to its share price? It seems to be flying a little high at the moment.

As i said, it's warm out there at the moment but i think it's a relatively safe bet for modest outperforming returns, at least over the medium to long term since i think the market has legs right now. Pays a solid dividend too and share price looks fairly correlated with the indexes.
use the £10,000 to get me started up in the immigration business

can get someone a EU sys registered passport for £10,000 so would sell for £15,000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending