The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Some concerns of a Nottingham firmer

Hi,

I've chosen Nottingham as my firm choice to read joint English and History. However, I have some concerns in mind regarding life at Nottingham Uni. If my questions offend anyone, I do apologise in advance as they are not meant to.

1.I'm pretty conservative and rather often labelled as 'good' (not in a very positive way, unfortunately). I don't go clubbing-ever. I go to pubs sometimes with close friends for a chat, but overall nightlife is really not my thing (oddly, I find it boring) and I'm not going to change my habits just to fit in. I like to spend time with friends at places like restaurants, sometimes playing sport and often just going to each other's. I have heard quite a lot that Nottingham is famous for its 'buzzing' night life. Will I be able to fit in and make friends, considering the kind of person I'm as aforementioned?

2. This probably is going to put most of you of, but I love old traditions and things like formal dinners, uniform and academic dress. Will I ever get to experience that kind of thing at Nottingham? (Again, sorry if I have offended you)

3. What kind of teaching is it at Nottingham? Is it mainly lectures or is there any one-to-one or small-group tutorial?

Thanks!!!
1. Can't really help you there, I regret not joining societies (something I'll do next year) but from what I can tell most societies have events that aren't club related. I'm sure even if there aren't official events though odds are you aren't the only person at Notts that hates clubbing so I'm sure you'll find like minded people at societies.
2. Again not my sort of thing but there is usually a formal dinner complete with formal dress at the end of every semester for people who like that sort of thing (I assume anyone from uni can join it, it's possibly just for those living in uni accommodation but you'll be fine first year at the very least.) Academic dress won't happen though, I guess you could wear it to lectures if you want but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to stick out, and based off what you've said you don't sound like that kind of person.
3. Probably depends on the subject, for maths it's mainly lectures with one small (5 person) tutorial a week, along with a couple of problems classes where you can ask for help if stuck, you can also arrange appointments with lecturers if you have any questions or need help with a certain topic if need be.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi there. :smile:
1) Don't worry at all, during freshers week, the uni run a load of events in the day, in which you are sure to meet people just like yourself. Joining societies is a great way to meet friends without the alcohol, poor dancing and eventual passing out :P. You will get a Week One booklet with details of the weeks events in it, keep an eye out, i think mine came in the post last year.
2) I am based on one of the other campuses called Sutton Bonington, on which we have formal dinners once or twice a term. From what I can remember, a similar thing happens on the main campus. The best people to ask would be the Week One Reps once you arrive, they will all be 2nd or 3rd year students from your campus, so will know for sure :smile:
3) It will depend on the subject, I do biosciences, which is entirely lecture based, with the occasional lab session. I believe I remember my friend, also doing english, saying she had lectures, seminars and small group-work with a few colleagues and a lecturer, but not 100% on that.

Hope that helps! Hope you have an awesome time at Nottingham!
Reply 3
Original post by Rosamond Elson
Hi,

I've chosen Nottingham as my firm choice to read joint English and History. However, I have some concerns in mind regarding life at Nottingham Uni. If my questions offend anyone, I do apologise in advance as they are not meant to.

1.I'm pretty conservative and rather often labelled as 'good' (not in a very positive way, unfortunately). I don't go clubbing-ever. I go to pubs sometimes with close friends for a chat, but overall nightlife is really not my thing (oddly, I find it boring) and I'm not going to change my habits just to fit in. I like to spend time with friends at places like restaurants, sometimes playing sport and often just going to each other's. I have heard quite a lot that Nottingham is famous for its 'buzzing' night life. Will I be able to fit in and make friends, considering the kind of person I'm as aforementioned?

2. This probably is going to put most of you of, but I love old traditions and things like formal dinners, uniform and academic dress. Will I ever get to experience that kind of thing at Nottingham? (Again, sorry if I have offended you)

3. What kind of teaching is it at Nottingham? Is it mainly lectures or is there any one-to-one or small-group tutorial?

Thanks!!!

Hiya! I'm studying English and History too, and I've been having exactly the same worries about fitting in, considering I don't go clubbing and I don't drink. As silly as it may be, I was worried that everyone else would be completely the opposite and I'd be the odd one out. Especially during Freshers. But that's not really the case. (Or at least, that's what I was hoping until I read your post. :wink:) We'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Aa'Ishah
Hiya! I'm studying English and History too, and I've been having exactly the same worries about fitting in, considering I don't go clubbing and I don't drink. As silly as it may be, I was worried that everyone else would be completely the opposite and I'd be the odd one out. Especially during Freshers. But that's not really the case. (Or at least, that's what I was hoping until I read your post. :wink:) We'll be fine. :smile:

Neither of you should worry. Nottingham does indeed have a buzzing night life but it is not compulsory. Son has just finished 4 years there. He hates clubs and went once. It put him pff for life. He does enjoys pubs and quiet conversation.Do join some clubs though. You will make better friends there than you will in halls.There are some good music societies if you play and a very good Creative Wrtitng Soc.
Reply 5
Original post by olddad
Neither of you should worry. Nottingham does indeed have a buzzing night life but it is not compulsory. Son has just finished 4 years there. He hates clubs and went once. It put him pff for life. He does enjoys pubs and quiet conversation.Do join some clubs though. You will make better friends there than you will in halls.There are some good music societies if you play and a very good Creative Wrtitng Soc.

Haha, thanks. :smile: I definitely plan in getting involved with societies and such, and the Creative Writing one will probably be one of them. Your son really enjoyed it there overall?
Reply 6
Original post by Aa'Ishah
Haha, thanks. :smile: I definitely plan in getting involved with societies and such, and the Creative Writing one will probably be one of them. Your son really enjoyed it there overall?

He certainly has. He is now in his last few weeks of his 4 year course and hasn't regretted anything about it.He was turned down by Cambridge and still has no regrets about Nottingham.He says he is glad that Cambridge tuen him down. He, of course, is in the Creative Writing Soc and has thororughly enjoyed that too.I will always remember his comment on his one club experience. "As soon as you walked in you could smell vomit!"
Reply 7
I'm so glad after reading all this. Thank you so much for easing my anxious mind!
@Aa'Ishah: So, you are also going to Notts for the year 13-14 as well, or are you already there?
@olddad: Wow, thank you so much! I'm in a similar situation, as I was rejected by Oxford, and hopefully will have as good a time as your son. I'm planning to join probably Theatrical society and choir and maybe do some volunteer works concerning animals.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm so glad after reading all this. Thank you so much for easing my anxious mind!
@Aa'Ishah: So, you are also going to Notts for the year 13-14 as well, or are you already there?
@olddad: Wow, thank you so much! I'm in a similar situation, as I was rejected by Oxford, and hopefully will have as good a time as your son. I'm planning to join probably Theatrical society and choir and maybe do some volunteer works concerning animals.

Yep, I'm starting this September, grades permitting. And I might get involved with a Drama society as well depending. I'm actually still taking it as an A level, so we'll see what happens. :smile:
Reply 9
Are you on Notts firmer FB?
Reply 10

Believe me , you will love it.You will find quite a few people there who were Oxbridge rejects. A lot seem to end up there.
Hi,

Thanks!!!

I did a joint English/History/Archaeology degree, will be around for the next few years so give me a heads up if you need a hand with anything!

1) Although as with all universities, there is a lot of social life that revolves around alcohol and clubbing, there are loads of societies and clubs for people who aren't interested in that. I'm not a big clubber, and I had great fun with the rambling society, trampolining society and food society. There's loads to do socially and lots of other people who don't drink, so I promise you won't be all on your own! At fresher's fair they have stalls for all the societies, so look around and see what you like :smile:

2) There are occasional formal occasions, societies like the Conservative association do regular formal events called "port and policy", which I hear are quite fun if you like that sort of thing. There are also quite a few venues in town - nice restaurants and cocktail bars mostly - which encourage a posh dress code, so you can suit it and boot it and not feel out of place! If you're in a hall you get a formal dinner at the end of the year, and there are summer balls and that kind of thing - you just need to look around for the events that suit you. Societies also run various formal occasions which are individual to each society, so shop around!

3) In English and History, the first year you will do majority lectures, with some seminars (smaller informal groups of about 10 students and a professor where you will speak as equals along the course guidelines). From my experience (in a very similar course to yours!) as time goes on, you do more seminars and fewer lectures, but in third year we still had a few lectures a week and a few seminars every week too. You can also see lecturers in their office hour every week to discuss the course and your work if you need to, so you can get as much or as little one on one help as you need.

If you have any more questions about the course or uni, feel free to PM me. Hope that helped! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending