The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Sheffield

I'm sure I should had chosen a better title for this thread since there are several threads with the very same title (trust me, I've read 'em all).

Anyway, I'm from Mexico and I plan to study a Ph. D, (either Pharmacology or Neurosciences) and I'm torn about choosing Nottingham or Sheffield.

As I've told you, I read al the other threads about this, but I think those may be out of date and I believe they refer mostrly to undergraduate studies.

I'll be very grateful with you guys if you could spare some of yout ime and tell me about these two universities and of course the cities, I don't know, which city is more friendly to foreigners, how's the night life, the campuses, accomodation, general environment, things like that.
Of course how's the science department of both universities.

Also, I heard Sheffield as a city is sightly more secure than Nottingham.
It's impossible for me to visit either of the cities or campuses so I need to do every possible bit of research before deciding.
Hope you can help me, thanks in advance.
Reply 1
I dont know about nottingham, but I think theres not much difference between them. Sheffield has a great reputation for the science courses it does.
To get a feel of each city, see :

Sheffield : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield

Nottingham : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham

There are also wikepedia pages for each University. There is no substitute for actually going to visit these Unis yourself but this reading might help you sort out which is likely to be a better for you. Remember, any opinions here from posters will usually be based on their own perception/experience of usually only one of those cities/Unis - and they will reflect their needs/interests etc, not yours.
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies so far.
I know the answers I get might be biased according to each one's experience but every detail will be very useful either of someone knows both universities or if they tell me their particular experience in one of 'em. :-)
Reply 4
Original post by Man of Tomorow
Thanks for your replies so far.
I know the answers I get might be biased according to each one's experience but every detail will be very useful either of someone knows both universities or if they tell me their particular experience in one of 'em. :-)

And don't get hung up on stories of crime in Nottingham. No different from any other big city. There are two bad areas - don't go there!
Sheffield used to advertise itself as the safest city in the UK on the front of its prospectus.
If your are interested in Pharmacy, then I think Nottingham is the best place for you. As I remember, it is ranked 1st nationally (the complete university guide) and 15th internationally (QS world universities ranking) for Pharmacy. (The chancellor is the CEO of a pharmaceutical company, google it).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Didn't know that. I need to check it out.
Also I didn't know QS provides rankings on specific areas, I'll get more info about this right away.
Also the "crime stuff" doesn't really worry me (I'm from Mexico City after all), it's just it was widely discussed in the threads I read.

Thanks for the replies, hope someone studying in those specific unies can come and tell me about it. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending