The Student Room Group

Do somalis/arabs have strong prejudice towards south Asians?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Type 052D
Ethiopians are genetically related to the Semitic peoples of the Middle East, while Somalis represent the native East African people before the Bantu Expansion in 2BCE. There was this survey done by geneticist and sociologist, which was about Racial differences in humans. Genetic markers were taken from an Norwegian, Nigerian Yoruba, and an Somali. They found out that the Somali person is closely related to the Norwegian person by an factor of 80%, than to the Yoruba person.

I wonder how the Khoi San fit into this genetic mix.
Original post by Swanbow
I wonder how the Khoi San fit into this genetic mix.

The Khoi-Bushman were dominate in SE Africa before being pushed south by the more Advance Iron Age Neolithic farmers from West Africa and faced increased competition for grassland by the Quasi Caucasian/Cusheitc population from the Horn of Africa (E.g Afar, Oromos before 6th century, Somalis).
Not so much in this country, but in Saudi very much so.

Original post by slade p
bengalis are generally very short, most are of a dark skin complexion and some look like they have a hint of mongoloid in them.

As much as I love the word mongoloid you sound like some sort of Victorian human taxonomist.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Type 052D
The Khoi-Bushman were dominate in SE Africa before being pushed south by the more Advance Iron Age Neolithic farmers from West Africa and faced increased competition for grassland by the Quasi Caucasian/Cusheitc population from the Horn of Africa (E.g Afar, Oromos before 6th century, Somalis).

I know generally how they got pushed away from the Bantu expansion was just wondering whether their genetic makeup was more similar to East Africans of a bit distinct in its make-up. Going to have to have a read up on it anyway.
Reply 64
I hear they make great servents
Original post by Swanbow
I know generally how they got pushed away from the Bantu expansion was just wondering whether their genetic makeup was more similar to East Africans of a bit distinct in its make-up. Going to have to have a read up on it anyway.

The San people are genetically an Isolate people, they are an group of people on their own. In-fact, they are the oldest continuing surviving Humans in the World. All humans are decedents of the Khoi people.
Reply 66
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Not so much in this country, but in Saudi very much so.

As much as I love the word mongoloid you sound like some sort of Victorian human taxonomist.

Got to cut him some slack for not using the archaic term 'negroid' to describe the dark skin complexion :biggrin:
Reply 67
Atm with whats happening to somalians in south africa. It should be why do South Africans have strong prejudice to somalians
Reply 68
Original post by Another
I have friends from the Carribean, Malawi, Nigeria, Ghana, India, Pakistan, Scotland, France, China, Vietnam, Wales, and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

I just tend not to give a damn about where people are from, and I wouldn't of known if they hadn't mentioned it in a conversation. I see people for who they are, not as a country. When I meet someone for the first time, I don't think to myself "Oh, he looks like a Somali!" I think "Oh, he looks like a very nice person." So don't talk to me about ignorance.

That's great you look into personality before a person's background, to be honest more people should think like that. But a person's cultural identity would matter to someone you would like to get to know.
If you consider everyone ethnically foreign to look the same if they were from the same continent, you straight away give off ignorance to the point of having personality and unique qualities
Most "visible" minorities in the UK (ie. Asians and Africans), face the same kind of prejudice from the majority population. But obviously we are in the 21st century and things have changed for the better.

It's still inconsiderate to say for example; africans all look the same. It's like saying white Europeans all look the same, but you would agree to disagree on that point, because your familiar with your own ethnicity.

Just look at it from a global perspective, Africa is considered the most genetically diverse continent in the world, since it's where humanity started, but you still consider them all familiar, maybe you only see skin colour :rolleyes:

On the other hand, what makes you think you've seen all kinds of Africans. The only africans you've come across in the UK are all from commonwealth countries (which are about 4 or 5 out of 61 other countries), which are made up of english-speaking africans, whilst the rest are either french or their own native tongue.

To be fair on the subject, just search up natives from a west african country like Nigeria. then an east African country like Eritrea , you'd see a huge difference other than skin color, if im correct that's what your indicating. And avoid the negs.
Reply 69
Original post by temi1234
That's great you look into personality before a person's background, to be honest more people should think like that. But a person's cultural identity would matter to someone you would like to get to know.
If you consider everyone ethnically foreign to look the same if they were from the same continent, you straight away give off ignorance to the point of having personality and unique qualities
Most "visible" minorities in the UK (ie. Asians and Africans), face the same kind of prejudice from the majority population. But obviously we are in the 21st century and things have changed for the better.

It's still inconsiderate to say for example; africans all look the same. It's like saying white Europeans all look the same, but you would agree to disagree on that point, because your familiar with your own ethnicity.

Just look at it from a global perspective, Africa is considered the most genetically diverse continent in the world, since it's where humanity started, but you still consider them all familiar, maybe you only see skin colour :rolleyes:

On the other hand, what makes you think you've seen all kinds of Africans. The only africans you've come across in the UK are all from commonwealth countries (which are about 4 or 5 out of 61 other countries), which are made up of english-speaking africans, whilst the rest are either french or their own native tongue.

To be fair on the subject, just search up natives from a west african country like Nigeria. then an east African country like Eritrea , you'd see a huge difference other than skin color, if im correct that's what your indicating. And avoid the negs.

I think you interpreted my first post wrong. I actually consider someone's cutural traditions/heritage/identity/history relatively unimportant, but I know alot of people will disagree with me. I don't particuarly see how getting someone's ethnic origin wrong counts as predjudice, but hey.

I don't find telling different ethnicities apart because they "all look the same." I find it difficult because when you consider huge countries like Nigeria and India, there's so much variation in those two countries alone, that two people from the same ethnic background can look completely different. Everybody looks different than everybody else, I just don't pay attention to how different two people must be, in order for them to be from different ethnic backgrounds.

Unrelated point, why does the whole of TSR think I'm white unless I specify otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest