The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cos only women are oppressed, duhhh.

Men don't face discrimination and issues of their own.
The word is leftover from when women had significantly less rights than men (although they still do in some countries).
I agree that feminism would probably be taken more seriously if it had a different non gender-specific name.
Terminology aside, feminism is still needed in the world but almost entirely outside the UK.

image.jpg
Reply 4
Because apparently only women are discriminated against/face sexism......
Reply 5
How many Feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Are you kidding? Feminists don't change anything.
Because they're not interested in equality, at all. As things stand, the name is the only non-deceitful part of feminism.
Feminism started out as something necessary in the 60s (well actually, a lot earlier with women's suffrage campaigns beginning in the late 19th century), but has since morphed (just like the left-wing agenda in general) into something very ugly, with no principles to speak of but a moral superiority complex. Most of today's so-called feminists in the West are no longer campaigning for women's rights, because it isn't necessary any more. A lot of them actually seem to have a profound dislike not for oppression of women (which as Jacob points out, still happens in much of the world), but for Western, male civilisation. They have no problem with patriarchal societies other than those in the West, so their problem isn't with patriarchy, but with white men. That is what I have found to be the case, anyway.
Because they're not about equality.

They probably started out as looking for equality, as women had significant less rights than men. These days (in countries such as U.K.- some countries femenisim is very much needed) there is absoloutly no need for it, as women and men are as equal as they're going to get. There is discrimination from both sides but hey we live in an imperfect world, what do you expect.

Even as they started out, it only looked like they were lookiung for equality as women were second class citizens. They are only interested in women and their rights so they are clearly not looking for equality. Most femenist groups wouldn't allow men to joing which shows they're not interested in equality.
Reply 9
Original post by felamaslen
Feminism started out as something necessary in the 60s (well actually, a lot earlier with women's suffrage campaigns beginning in the late 19th century), but has since morphed (just like the left-wing agenda in general) into something very ugly, with no principles to speak of but a moral superiority complex. Most of today's so-called feminists in the West are no longer campaigning for women's rights, because it isn't necessary any more. A lot of them actually seem to have a profound dislike not for oppression of women (which as Jacob points out, still happens in much of the world), but for Western, male civilisation. They have no problem with patriarchal societies other than those in the West, so their problem isn't with patriarchy, but with white men. That is what I have found to be the case, anyway.

This.
Feminism is getting so ridiculous in this country. I had a former girlfriend who I asked to make me a sandwich one time while I was splitting wood. Her mother was there and I got a 10 minute rant about oppressing women and how they are not domestic creatures. I never claimed they were! I asked somebody to make me lunch because I was busy; she could have refused. Where is the oppression? The lecture was also somewhat farcical since it was me who primarily cooked in that relationship anyway.

A female rights movement fine, but that is no longer what it is in the UK. Gender rights are roughly equal here, and if the movement truly cared for their sisters they would now take it to somewhere like Somalia. I wish feminism in the UK would just admit that it is a lobbying group.
There really is a sudden spate of anti-feminist threads recently. I know y'all hate us, but try making up some new arguments, or post in the other feminism threads. It's getting a bit silly.

(And OP, if you want to know about feminism, why not google it? You'll find just as many feminist haters there as here, and you might actually learn something. Hell, try Wiki or something.)
Additionally, isn't grumbling at the gender specific term feminism as petty as when feminists make a big deal out of gender specific words like mankind and man in the collective sense?
Original post by Jacob :)
Additionally, isn't grumbling at the gender specific term feminism as petty as when feminists make a big deal out of gender specific words like mankind and man in the collective sense?

*Radical feminists don't like those words, it's not a large part of the movement though. Their conclusion was to use the term "womyn" instead of "women". Doesn't really matter that much to me, it's semantics.
Original post by Messalina
*Radical feminists don't like those words, it's not a large part of the movement though. Their conclusion was to use the term "womyn" instead of "women". Doesn't really matter that much to me, it's semantics.

Yeh sorry I did mean some feminists. Those crazy ladies!
Yeh sorry I did mean some feminists. Those crazy ladies!

Radical fems can be lovely, they can also be a bit odd. I don't associate with them because of their transphobia - as far as they're concerned, I actually can't be a feminist :rolleyes: thanks radfems.
Radical fems can be lovely, they can also be a bit odd. I don't associate with them because of their transphobia - as far as they're concerned, I actually can't be a feminist :rolleyes: thanks radfems.

Are most radical feminists trans phobic? Why?
Are most radical feminists trans phobic? Why?

Here's a feminist source talking about it: http://www.thefword.org.uk/blog/2012/05/theres_nothing

It's basically because they believe that only biological women are real women. Trans women don't count, as far as they're concerned. I'm biologically female but I don't identify as female, so I'm "not a real woman" to them either. I actually got kicked out of a rad fem conference for it. It's stupid because allies to a cause are just that, allies, and ostracising them makes you look like a douche. Silly radfems.
Reply 18
There really is a sudden spate of anti-feminist threads recently. I know y'all hate us, but try making up some new arguments, or post in the other feminism threads. It's getting a bit silly.

(And OP, if you want to know about feminism, why not google it? You'll find just as many feminist haters there as here, and you might actually learn something. Hell, try Wiki or something.)

Preach. It's so annoying,

I don't think all radical feminists are transphobic though. It's certainly a problem within radical feminism and I have read a lot of horrible things by people who identify as radfems, but I wouldn't say it's something that unites the movement as a whole. There's nothing in their ideology that is intrinsically transphobic, it's just that a lot of people who accept that ideology are also transphobic.

Latest

Trending

Trending