The Student Room Group

PlayStation 4 will be cheaper than Xbox One: which will you buy?

Poll

Which console would you buy on launch day?

This is very definitely the main headline from E3 so far. While Microsoft is giving its Xbox One a price tag of £429 in the UK, Sony is undercutting it significantly by selling the PlayStation 4 at £349.

Along with all the negative press around Microsoft's new online and sharing policies, it's no exaggeration to say the Xbox has taken a bit of a kicking over the last 24 hours.

Obviously lots of people will hold back for a while to wait for a price cut, but here's the question. If you were to buy one of the new consoles on launch day, which way would you go?

Scroll to see replies

Everything's pointing me towards the PS4 now, Microsoft have gotten so much wrong with their policies and pricing that I'm literally at a loss for reasons to stay with the Xbox line.
Solely on the basis of price, the PS4.

However, I do not really know much about either console yet.
Microsoft have dropped the ball on this one IMO. Not that it matters now that my DVD player is, but apparently the PS4 will be Region Free.
Reply 4
There is soo much wrong with X Box one...
PS4 it is.
Reply 5
Go PS4!
The Wii is even cheaper. Great bargain!
[video="youtube;w6eOa812mYA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6eOa812mYA[/video]

Think this seals the deal.
Halo :sogood:

It's the one thing I constantly regret being unavailable on the Playstation
Original post by Architecture-er
Halo :sogood:

It's the one thing I constantly regret being unavailable on the Playstation

As big a fan of Halo as I am, unless it's literally the most perfect game of all time it won't justify it for me :no:
Reply 10
i wonder why no one even puts wii-u into the frame with these sort of stuff. it's not like the console is going to be THAT bad, and nintendo direct is on today, so we'll get to see more games.

but seriously though PS4. Tbf though, microsoft and sony are both ripping off consumers from europe. WTh man, $499 for an xbox one, yet we have to pay £420? that's like $666.

same for the sony system, we're being ripped off by like £70

otherwise,
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I don't fit in the poll, gunna change straight up to the ps4 from the ps2 :mmm:
Original post by bottled
i wonder why no one even puts wii-u into the frame with these sort of stuff. it's not like the console is going to be THAT bad, and nintendo direct is on today, so we'll get to see more games.

but seriously though PS4. Tbf though, microsoft and sony are both ripping off consumers from europe. WTh man, $499 for an xbox one, yet we have to pay £420? that's like $666.

same for the sony system, we're being ripped off by like £70

Atleast for PS4 it's a one off. X Box will rip your pocket countless times.
I really liked the games that Microsoft showed off and thought that their conference was better than Sony's, but I cannot justify £429 for it. Especially with all the BS policies it has. PS4 looks good and would probably be the console that I would pick up first once it comes down in price.

Honestly I am thinking about just leaving console gaming and buying a gaming PC instead. Heck I might even go for a Wii U once it builds up a decent library.
This game ownership and internet issue and price and everything else about the xbox just seems like they have gone out of their way to annoy the customer. **** microsoft, when you don't care about the consumer it won't end well for you.
Reply 15
Original post by cleveradam
Atleast for PS4 it's a one off. X Box will rip your pocket countless times.

exactly. remember, you gotta pay used game fees, xbox live gold, so expect that price after a while to go up to the 1000's.

on the other side, PS4 too requires playstation + to play online (but you can do stuff like watch videos and stuff) but again, it runs up costs too. at least we get free games though
Reply 16
Original post by HighwayUnicorn

Honestly I am thinking about just leaving console gaming and buying a gaming PC instead. Heck I might even go for a Wii U once it builds up a decent library.

Do it. Not being funny but consoles are for pre-teens and young teenagers, anyone actually interested in gaming gets a PC. The reason these consoles are so expensive is because both companies recognise the influence the preteen/youngteen has on mummy and daddies wallet. Anyone over 15 who buys into console gaming is a mug.
Graphics are always better on PCs, upgrading them is possible and cheaper, the ONLY thing consoles have going for them is that they are simple to use (not that PCs are complicated), so youngsters can use the "plug in and play" style of setup without their brains hurting.
Edit- ITT: Butthurt kiddies with reading comprehension issues
(edited 10 years ago)
Give it two years, wait for devs to really make use of the cloud.

The PS4 is a console for now. It's almost perfect in terms of timing, pricing and policy.
The XO will come in to it's own only if devs really make some exciting games using the cloud for persistent worlds and MMO games.

I don't find either device that exciting tbh, but the PS4 will be the one I'm likely to go for on release. The potential of the cloud for gaming though... now that is so exciting it's unbelievable.
Not going to lie, I'm seriously considering swapping over to PS4 and I've been an Xbox fangirl for years.
Original post by AeneasBK
Do it. Not being funny but consoles are for pre-teens and young teenagers, anyone actually interested in gaming gets a PC. The reason these consoles are so expensive is because both companies recognise the influence the preteen/youngteen has on mummy and daddies wallet. Anyone over 15 who buys into console gaming is a mug.
Graphics are always better on PCs, upgrading them is possible and cheaper, the ONLY thing consoles have going for them is that they are simple to use (not that PCs are complicated), so youngsters can use the "plug in and play" style of setup without their brains hurting.

As someone who works in IT and spends 8 hours a day troubleshooting and configuring (well, for the most part), consoles are exactly what I want. Plug in, go. No fussing about with drivers, upgrades, patches or performance optimisation.

This is why I stopped PC gaming ages ago. Well... that and EA destroying Westwood. So long as I have a PC capable of playing Red Alert 2 (which is one of the most ball-achey games to get running on W7 over a LAN), I'm happy.

Quick Reply

Latest