The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ssxx
History plays an important roles in reputation!
People invest and have confidence because of history.
You need to learn a lot, mr school boy.

Well then you measure it in terms of investment, rather than it's history. You go somewhere beacue you like the uni, not because a nobel prize winner once there in the 1880's.
Original post by ssxx
Yes, to most of questions apart from the last.

You realise that most of those questions weren't yes/no right?

:rolleyes:
Reply 22
This is a really stupid thread.

What about Exeter Uni?
J.K. Rowling went there so it must have a great reputation!!
Reply 23
Original post by PQ
You realise that most of those questions weren't yes/no right?

:rolleyes:

This thread was start by some who has I go to a Russell Group university, the Russell Group comprises of 26 universities which is like 20% of the universities in the UK . Why not just say which university you go?? Unless your trying to make yourself sound better than you are.
Reply 24
Original post by HYPERbol
This is a really stupid thread.

What about Exeter Uni?
J.K. Rowling went there so it must have a great reputation!!

Exeter is over hyped.
look at league tables over the last 15 years and you will see it ranked, 40th, and outside top 20 most of the years.
Reply 25
Original post by PQ
Could you please explain your methodology in more detail? Have you used the traditional z-scoring method used by most league table compilers for combining metrics with different characteristics?

Also I'd be interested in what qualifies you to call THIS the "final say" on league tables? Are you a researcher in university prestige like the compilers of the ARWU? Have you compiled substantial perception surveys of academics and employers like the compilers of the THE and QS world rankings? Do you have decades of experience of university administration, management, quality assessment and data analysis like the compilers of the Times/Guardian/Complete rankings?

Or are you just trying to justify your own self importance/intelligence?

Pretty sure it's just self-importance.
Reply 26
Original post by ssxx
Exeter is over hyped.
look at league tables over the last 15 years and you will see it ranked, 40th, and outside top 20 most of the years.

Oh my word. It's 10th this year. Did it get there by accident? So then, what makes it over-hyped? Perhaps the fact that its not associated with a nobel prize winner?

Hahaha, this thread is delusional.
What are you achieving by judging other people's choices of university? There are over 100 universities in the UK of which you are talking about 22; I'm sure the other 80+ are glad you value them so highly.

In a few years once you have your first job, what university(/universities) you went to will come up in conversation for about two minutes when you meet somebody new while you establish out of curiosity whether you know any of the same people/have lived in any of the same cities. The end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
This "ranking" is ridiculous. How Nobel Prizes won by alumni hundreds of years ago has any impact on a university's current teaching or research quality is beyond me. History, similarly, is unimportant. Higher education should constantly be looking to the future and improving - like Warwick (which you irrationally criticise) is.

Warwick is still younger than 50 years old - younger than the average age of individuals when they won the Nobel prize. Your point about research income is odd, and shows how out of touch you are - Warwick makes most of its money itself through commercial activities, and doesn't rely on government grants.
Reply 29
Original post by Hankylord

People like you irrationally inflate Warwick.
Reply 30
Original post by moutonfou
What are you achieving by judging other people's choices of university? There are over 100 universities in the UK of which you are talking about 22; I'm sure the other 80+ are glad you value them so highly.

In a few years once you have your first job, what university(/universities) you went to will come up in conversation for about two minutes when you meet somebody new while you establish out of curiosity whether you know any of the same people/have lived in any of the same cities. The end.

It will be on your CV for the rest of your life:rolleyes:
Original post by ssxx
It will be on your CV for the rest of your life:rolleyes:

And employers couldn't give a flying **** :biggrin:
What if we all just stopped making threads like this and just went to the university we wanted to go to?
Reply 33
Employers really don't care where you go.
Reply 34
Original post by ssxx
People like you irrationally inflate Warwick.

Er, I didn't inflate Warwick, I just pointed out the flaws in your reasoning.

And I think the fact that Warwick is one of only four universities to never have been out of the top ten (along with Oxford, Cambridge and LSE) speaks for itself.

It seems like you're inflating Edinburgh massively.
Reply 35
Er, I didn't inflate Warwick, I just pointed out the flaws in your reasoning.

And I think the fact that Warwick is one of only four universities to never have been out of the top ten (along with Oxford, Cambridge and LSE) speaks for itself.

It seems like you're inflating Edinburgh massively.

Warwick is not a research power house compared to UCL, Edinburgh ect.
I showed you Warwick's small budget.

P.S I don't go to Edinburgh, but I know it is a heavily weight in research and has a better international reputation with many cited research papers.

Don't get carried away with the investment banking hype of Warwick.

Forget all these other doggy league table and stick to mine and you will do find in life my son.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by ssxx
Warwick is not a research power house compared to UCL, Edinburgh ect.
I showed you Warwick's small budget.

P.S I don't go to Edinburgh, but I know it is a heavily weight in research and has a better international reputation with many cited research papers.

Don't get carried away with the investment banking hype of Warwick.

Forget all these other doggy league table and stick to mine and you will do find in life my son.

Warwick has been ranked higher than Edinburgh in every single Research Assessment Exercise. It was ranked 5th in the 2001 RAE (ahead of UCL and Edinburgh), and 7th in 2008 (ahead of Edinburgh and just behind UCL). But, according to you, not a research powerhouse.

You're so misinformed. Warwick graduates go into other fields aside from investment banking. It's 9th in the world for employer reputation according to the QS ranking. And the most targeted university in the UK, according to Higher Fliers.

Who gives you the authority to create a 'definitive' league table? You're as bad as LutherVan -apparently an 'independent analyst'.

By the way, I'm not even saying Warwick should be in your top tier. My very personal subjective view would be (based on my perception of their reputation, entry tariffs, graduate prospects etc):

Cambridge, LSE
(absolutely negligible gap)
Oxford
(small gap)
Imperial, UCL, Warwick
(small gap)
Durham, St Andrew's
(considerable gap)
Edinburgh, York, Bristol, Nottingham
Reply 37

You still don't get it....you are too irrational.

You seriously believe warwick is more targeted than Oxford, camb, ect you have no idea how flawed that system is. They put Manchester high for targted it does not mean, all the people from manchester get the top prestigious jobs in the country over oxford. they are so many reasons why things are not what they seem.

No one heard of Warwick outside the UK, Warwick does not have the most cited research papers. It is not a heavily weight international nor it is a power house in the uk with such a small budget.

I am done with you now.
(edited 10 years ago)
People get so wound up about rankings, it's hilarious.
Reply 39
Original post by ssxx

You still don't get it....you are too irrational.

You seriously believe warwick is more targeted than Oxford, camb, ect you have no idea how flawed that system is. They put Manchester high for targted it does not mean, all the people from manchester get the top prestigious jobs in the country over oxford. they are so many reasons why things are not what they seem.

No one heard of Warwick outside the UK, Warwick does not have the most cited research papers. It is not a heavily weight international nor it is a power house in the uk with such a small budget.

I am done with you now.

I never said I believed Warwick was more targeted than Cam. I just showed you a statistic which clearly showed Warwick graduates are attractive in more sectors than investment banking. And then I said Warwick was on a tier below Cambridge and Oxford. PLEASE work on your comprehension skills.

Do you think UK graduates care whether some average Joe in the US knows about their university? Not if they want a career in academia or a high-tier job. People in those positions in the US would have heard of Warwick. I don't want to repeat myself, but you apparently choose not to look at the statistics - Warwick was one of only 13 universities worldwide to get a perfect employer reputation score in the 2013 QS table. Edinburgh didn't.

I can't believe you keep saying it's not a powerhouse when you can see the RAE results. Income doesn't determine research quality or output - KCL is far richer than Edinburgh, LSE, and Warwick, yet can't compete.

Where exactly DO you go to university?

Latest

Trending

Trending