The Student Room Group

New style gcses due to government old ones scrapped?!!!

Key changes from autumn 2015

Changes will initially be for nine core GCSE subjects

Grading by numbers 8-1 rather than by the current letters A*-G

No more modular courses, instead full exams taken at the end of two years

Controlled assessments (coursework done under exam conditions) will be scrapped

Exams to be based on a more stretching, essay-based system

Pass mark to be pushed higher

I am a current GCSE student, my concern is that if I have these 'easier' GCSEs will I be disregarded if someone is applying for a job with the new style GCSEs ,that are more challenging, in the future.
Will they allow us to convert our grades by then?
How will it affect those who have already done GCSEs will employers prefer those withs 8's and 7's to A*s and A's?
Does that make me less qualified if i have an A* compared to someone with an 8?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Reply 1
The bit of 'advice' you don't want to really hear at this point...

...noone cares about GCSEs after Alevels/university.
Reply 2
It won't matter, because you'll have applied for that job a year before they do :borat:
Reply 3
Original post by renren99

I am a current GCSE student, my concern is that if I have these 'easier' GCSEs will I be disregarded if someone is applying for a job with the new style GCSEs ,that are more challenging, in the future.
Will they allow us to convert our grades by then?
How will it affect those who have already done GCSEs will employers prefer those withs 8's and 7's to A*s and A's?
Does that make me less qualified if i have an A* compared to someone with an 8?

That is what I was concerned about, but as long as you do A-Levels/IB and go to university, I don't think your GCSE results will have much weight once you get to applying for jobs post-uni. For the most part, when GCSE results matter, you are measured against your peers.
Reply 4
Possibly, but you'll have more to offer than your GCSEs if you're deciding to sit A-levels and attend university, and grades aren't the only priority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending