The Student Room Group

What career can i go into without a degree?

Ok here's my story, I am 21 years old male. i finished my a levels at 19 didn't get into uni for my desired course, and wasted a year doing absolutely nothing. And after that i decided to do a Biology course. I didn't like this subject at all and i found it incredibly hard to do at college. but i was pressured into doing this by my family who wanted me to have some sort of degree. So now after the 1st year of biology, i got my exam results a few days ago and i failed one particular part of a module even after resitting meaning i have to resit the entire year if i want to continue with my degree. I figured that if i can't pass the 1st year, then there is noway i am going to pass the next 2 years, So i might as well drop-out now. So i now have lost £9k on tuition fees and close to £4k on accommodation, etc.. So currently my status is, 21 year old, No degree, no work experience what so ever (i wanted to make sure ALL my time was spent on studying, but obviously that didn't work out well), got 9 GCSE A-C, and 3 A levels in Chemistry. Biology and ITC, at BBB.
So i now feel like i have wasted 5 years of my life (many of it due to my own fault, i admit), since people who stopped education after high-school at 16 are now at a better financial and academic situation than me.
So what should be my next career step. I don't want to sound greedy, but I do not want to work at at minimum salary for the rest of my life. I want a decent job, a decent salary, i would be so happy to get anywhere near the average salary of the country. Anybody got any ideas on any career paths that i could go through?
Reply 1
I am not sure what career options you have, but how hard do you think you've tried for your exams/course.

That's because I failed at year 1 (although passed resit) and ended up with a first the following year. I also knew a friend on course for a 3rd in year 1-3,but got an overall high 2.1 coz he tried hard on his 4th year (he was basically lived in the lib)

So, if you don't think you tried your hardest yet, you may want to stick with it (assuming you're willing to do your very best to get your degreel, and just try and gain some extra exp before your next resits.
I know it's not the most glamorous career but plumbers make a **** load. That's what I'd be doing if I hadn't gone to uni.
Reply 3
Trades are the obvious ones. As said above, plumbers make signifcantly more than average. I read that it's 20k straight after qualification (4 years) and an average of 30k. Self-employed plumbers can make a lot more.

I had quite a few friends who dropped out of uni after 1st of 2nd years and started working in bars. I know you probably don't want to work in a bar all your life but the guys I know were smart, worked hard and always looked to take on extra responsibility and all of them are now managers or assitant managers. Management is a pretty transferable skill and gives you quite a few options. And it's probably not the hardest thing to do as a lot of the folk working in bars are students etc, not looking to go any further.
Think carefully before leaving uni. If you decide not to continue though don't worry about lack of a degree, some of the most talented people I know don't have one and have made their way through life earning very healthy sums indeed. In fact, my situation was very similar to yours; it was hard at first but I've had a great and varied career. If you're looking for a 'profession' and you're numerically inclined I'd suggest accountancy (it's a very broad category if you look into it). It's one of the most easily accessible professions and with your qualifications to date you'd easily be granted student membership to a body like CIMA or ACCA - studying one of these can lead to all manner of roles in business or management...and what's more a lot of chartered accountants I know don't have degrees :wink:
Reply 5
I can relate to you!

I am also 21 (but female), 10 GCSEs (A-C), an A Level (C), and a BTEC (3 Distinctions)...so I'm not daft! I did originally start a foundation degree but dropped out because I just became so sick and tired with being in formal education and it was beginning to make me depressed. But I don't regret dropping out...it's just become a bit of a nuisance not having the qualification haha.

I also want to find a decent job that pays properly and that I also enjoy. I don't want to end up being trapped in some soul destroying, unrewarding 'career' that I can't escape from because nowhere else will take me due to not having degree-level qualifications.

I know that volunteering helps and looks good on your CV, but it's just not helpful not having an income from it. I think our options are: find any job and hope for the best/do an apprenticeship/attempt formal education again/start your own business/win the lottery.
Accountancy, your A-levels are good enough to join a 'school leaver' scheme.

Spoiler

Only joking lol. If you can get experience then it's just as valuable as a degree in my opinion. So like others have said, the world is your oyster:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending