The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter University (2014 Entry)

Hello, just through I would start a discussion on this as I couldn't find a straight one for Exeter!

I went to the Open Day today (11th June). Loved it! Did anyone else go? What were your overall thoughts on the campus?

I'm interested in geography, anyone else?!

x

Posted from TSR Mobile

---

Connect to University of Exeter here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Loved the open day today!
I went and I'm interested in the FCH course to do History with IR or Geography. But, this year it's more complicated for applying to do History for FCH :/
Which type of Geography are you interested in?
(edited 10 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I would love to go to an open day, but my parents won't let me go anywhere but Manchester (so they say :colone:)
I am hoping to do History with International Relations with Study Abroad, basically the perfect course for me :biggrin:. Let's hope I do well in August!
I went today too! :smile: I loved the campus and the BA geography coarse which i want to combine with IR :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
whats the entry reqirement?
I want to do BA Geography too! The entry requirements are AAA - AAB for geography :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yay, an Exeter thread at last!

I'm looking at doing BA Geography, possibly with European Study but I'm not 100% sure about that just yet. I might also apply for the FCH in Geography with Sustainability, IR or Politics.

I loved the university campus, and the city centre was busy with decent shops. A lot smaller than the bustling London I'm used to, but something I could definitely adapt to.

P.S. The staff at Exeter St. David's are really friendly, and the guy in Nationwide in the city centre kindly lent me a pair of scissors.
Original post by megantrace
Yay, an Exeter thread at last!

I'm looking at doing BA Geography, possibly with European Study but I'm not 100% sure about that just yet. I might also apply for the FCH in Geography with Sustainability, IR or Politics.

I loved the university campus, and the city centre was busy with decent shops. A lot smaller than the bustling London I'm used to, but something I could definitely adapt to.

P.S. The staff at Exeter St. David's are really friendly, and the guy in Nationwide in the city centre kindly lent me a pair of scissors.

Hahaha! Glad you got your scissors :wink:
Exeter's lovely, and there's lots of nice places around the city too, lots of lovely beaches too!
What did you think of the accommodation? I thought it was surprisingly really really nice! It was like a big village!

:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HannahBanana1995
Hahaha! Glad you got your scissors :wink:
Exeter's lovely, and there's lots of nice places around the city too, lots of lovely beaches too!
What did you think of the accommodation? I thought it was surprisingly really really nice! It was like a big village!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't get the chance to view the accommodation whilst I was there, but I've had a browse around online and I really like it. I can't decide whether I'll go catered or self-catered though, I can't really cook but I do have a year or so to learn

Some of my mum's family are from Devon, and family friends of ours used to live down in Torquay so I've been there a lot too. Absolutely love the place because it brings back many a happy childhood memory! Some of the beaches are beautiful, you could almost forget you're in the UK at times!

The icebreaker first year fieldtrips did make me laugh - Physical Geog go to Slapton (I used to go there a lot as a child and went there for GCSE) and Human Geog go to London (which would be going home for me!)
I didn't get the chance to view the accommodation whilst I was there, but I've had a browse around online and I really like it. I can't decide whether I'll go catered or self-catered though, I can't really cook but I do have a year or so to learn

Some of my mum's family are from Devon, and family friends of ours used to live down in Torquay so I've been there a lot too. Absolutely love the place because it brings back many a happy childhood memory! Some of the beaches are beautiful, you could almost forget you're in the UK at times!

The icebreaker first year fieldtrips did make me laugh - Physical Geog go to Slapton (I used to go there a lot as a child and went there for GCSE) and Human Geog go to London (which would be going home for me!)

I always thought I would prefer catered (as I can't cook either!) however the self-catered look much nicer and more sociable. The catered didn't impress me much :/

And I love Torquay, go there every year for at least a week every summer! Although I only live an hour and a half down the road :P

And yeah! Like the sound of all the trips! Particularly the chance of going to New Zealand or New York in the second year? All sounds good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Anyone considering going to Exeter to study Psychology or Social sciences?
I always thought I would prefer catered (as I can't cook either!) however the self-catered look much nicer and more sociable. The catered didn't impress me much :/

And I love Torquay, go there every year for at least a week every summer! Although I only live an hour and a half down the road :P

And yeah! Like the sound of all the trips! Particularly the chance of going to New Zealand or New York in the second year? All sounds good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really worried I'd pay extra for catered accommodation and not like the food, I'm not a fussy eater (I don't think so anyway!) but I'm very particular about what I eat.

I really miss Torquay, I haven't been for years!

That'd be awesome to go to NY or NZ. I love the sound of the Erasmus scheme too - I really want to go to Finland now, haha!
I'm really worried I'd pay extra for catered accommodation and not like the food, I'm not a fussy eater (I don't think so anyway!) but I'm very particular about what I eat.

I really miss Torquay, I haven't been for years!

That'd be awesome to go to NY or NZ. I love the sound of the Erasmus scheme too - I really want to go to Finland now, haha!

When I looked at the catered dinning room they had sample menus and had three or four dishes each day and an extra vegetarian option and its like a buffet so you can just pick what you want. I've been told I can be a fussy eater, by much mum and dad, so in self-catered I would be able to buy all the food I like and eat it when I want! Also hopefully by the end of the first year I'll actually be able to cook! But I'm sure you'd be fine with the catered option!

Also, if you want to visit home for a weekend, or go out into town for a meal, you're technically missing the food for the day that you will have paid for? So self-catered is clearly better if you'll be wanting to do this! The accommodation for self-catered also appeared more modern and new; nicer than catered.

Wow I've used the word catered a lot in that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I looked at the catered dinning room they had sample menus and had three or four dishes each day and an extra vegetarian option and its like a buffet so you can just pick what you want. I've been told I can be a fussy eater, by much mum and dad, so in self-catered I would be able to buy all the food I like and eat it when I want! Also hopefully by the end of the first year I'll actually be able to cook! But I'm sure you'd be fine with the catered option!

Also, if you want to visit home for a weekend, or go out into town for a meal, you're technically missing the food for the day that you will have paid for? So self-catered is clearly better if you'll be wanting to do this! The accommodation for self-catered also appeared more modern and new; nicer than catered.

Wow I've used the word catered a lot in that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely agree with that, I think I may be brave and go for the self-catered option.

We've still got a year and a few months to learn the basics of cooking at least!

I like the idea of being able to eat when I want, I think it'd be really annoying to have to eat a set time, and you're definitely right about the whole thing about missing paid meals! All the more money to spend on having a good time, haha :biggrin:
(I realise that this post is mostly about accommodation) but do you recon I would still get an interview/ offer for Geography BSc if I get ABB in my AS's if I'm predicted AAB? I messed up biology :frown: Another thing, I was wondering how quiet the Cornwall campus actually is? I know it's easier to get into which suggests it's less desirable (quieter, which could be a good thing, actually). Anyone there know? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AlanAlty
(I realise that this post is mostly about accommodation) but do you recon I would still get an interview/ offer for Geography BSc if I get ABB in my AS's if I'm predicted AAB? I messed up biology :frown: Another thing, I was wondering how quiet the Cornwall campus actually is? I know it's easier to get into which suggests it's less desirable (quieter, which could be a good thing, actually). Anyone there know? :smile:

Hey, it's possible to bring your grades up next year if you work hard at it! We keep being told of a girl who got E at AS geography and bought her overall grade up to a C after A2! It's possible!

And I'm visiting Falmouth next week, so I can post on here how quiet the cornwall campus feels etc?

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlanAlty

Whilst they do look at AS grades, if they see that you're predicted AAB, there's a possibility that you will still be accepted. You'd have to re-sit the Biology and I think if you declare this on your application, they'd know that you meeting the requirements is possible, therefore could offer you a place.

I'm really curious about Cornwall too, but it takes me about 6 hours to get there so I can't really go and visit.
Whilst they do look at AS grades, if they see that you're predicted AAB, there's a possibility that you will still be accepted. You'd have to re-sit the Biology and I think if you declare this on your application, they'd know that you meeting the requirements is possible, therefore could offer you a place.

I'm really curious about Cornwall too, but it takes me about 6 hours to get there so I can't really go and visit.

Yeah I think I'm gonna miss out on the A by a couple marks which sucks! Luckily, it was the January exam that I did least well on so I'll retake that! Thanks! :smile: Yeah I think it's around 4 hours from me which is kind of putting me off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to apply to Exeter to do history, but I doubt i'm going to get an offer considering the huge amount of applicants and competitive nature of the course :frown:. Does anyone else want to do history or a joint honours with history? I am worried already about how I may be instantly rejected as I am already so attached to Exeter!

So do you guys think i'll get an offer with these grades:
1 A* 4As 4Bs GCSE
predicted 4 As at AS (probably not going to get that)
+ a lil bit (week) of irrelevant work experience, a tiny 10point open uni course, lance corporal in CCF, hopefully will do further reading + essay competitions, dofe bronze and visits to history lectures
Reply 19
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of studying Geog + IR at Exeter...

A lot of people have told me the nightlife sucks there (not that nightlife is the main reason for going to uni!)

Any thoughts on this?

J

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending