Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Cartmel freshers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pippabell
I applied to Cartmel and Lonsdale back in June, seems like almost everybody I've spoken to has found out which college they're in. Should I be worried?!

I am the same but Furness and Cartmel. If you find out anything can you let me know, and I will let you know likewise!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
When will find out who my flatmates will be in Cartmel?
Just wondered if you could answer two queries that I have about accommodation at Cartmel college please.

1. What storage facilities will we have? Obviously there will be a cupboard and a few drawers but is there storage below the beds? Or anywhere else in the rooms?

2. Is there a connection for TV in the rooms? I'm aware I need a TV lience but unsure if I need to bring an internal ariel.
Hey! I'm so excited about going to cartmel :smile: I have a few questions:
1. will pillows and blankets be provided? because i don't really know what bedding is :tongue:
2. can non-music students join the university's orchestra? and if they can't, are there any available orchestras around?
3. how big is the kitchen fridge?
4. can non-music students borrow the piano in the music practice rooms?

thank you so much! can't wait!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Hannah_L_Cook
Just wondered if you could answer two queries that I have about accommodation at Cartmel college please.

1. What storage facilities will we have? Obviously there will be a cupboard and a few drawers but is there storage below the beds? Or anywhere else in the rooms?

2. Is there a connection for TV in the rooms? I'm aware I need a TV lience but unsure if I need to bring an internal ariel.

1. You have a huge under bed storage on top of the cupboard and drawers within your room. This should be sufficient. However, last year I wasn't sure, so I brought along a stack of those plastic drawer tower thingies, but I could have got by without. There is also a trunk room in every flat, that is a room where the vacuum is stored, but there is a lot of space where you can store suitcases if you wish.

2. Yes there is, you'll need to bring the lead though.
Reply 25
Just got sent my accommodation offer to Cartmel this morning (: Will likely be changing from catered to self-catered though, figured I'd rather make honey-hot-chocolate at god-knows'o'clock in the morning rather than wait for the diner to be open. :tongue: (Kidding, I just figure I can budget less than the catering cost)

I'll keep a close eye on the thread so I know what's what, d'you reckon there's any chance of me landing a job in one of the student bars though?
Reply 26
Original post by tiffanycallysta
1. will pillows and blankets be provided? because i don't really know what bedding is :tongue:
2. can non-music students join the university's orchestra? and if they can't, are there any available orchestras around?

1. You can order a bedding pack from the uni which includes, a duvet and pillow, with covers. A bed sheet and mattress protector. Most people I know however brought their own.

2. Not too sure, but I don't see why not.

3. Average fridge. There are 2 per kitchen, as well as 2 freezers. You have a fridge shelf and freezer drawer each.

4. Again I'm not too sure. But there's a piano in the Cartmel JCR which anyone is free to use at any time.
Reply 27
Are there many international students in Cartmel?
Reply 28
Hi, i was just wondering how far away from the uni Cartmels accommodation is?
Reply 29
Original post by elissshalc

Same percentage as other colleges :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by 3445

About 10 minutes ish to Alex Square which is centre of campus. Depends on how fast you walk :biggrin:
Original post by tiffanycallysta

I'm glad that you're excited to be coming! We look forward to meeting you :biggrin:

1) If you purchase the bedding pack then it will be (I think this includes duvet and duvet cover, pillow and pillow case as well as a sheet), however personally it feels more homely if you just bring it all from home

2) And yes the ULMS (university of Lancaster music society) from memory is mainly filled up with non music students, just locate them at the fresher fair! or search for them on facebook already https://www.facebook.com/groups/82477800203/?fref=ts

3) The Flats contain 2 fridges and 2 freezers which works out at a shelf each, which is plenty

4) Yep anyone can use the piano whenever they want, furthermore to save you walking to the great hall (where the music stuff is located) there is a piano within the JCR which is free to use!

Hope that helps
André (social sec) XD
(edited 10 years ago)
Tracy Hargreaves
Original post by pippabell
I applied to Cartmel and Lonsdale back in June, seems like almost everybody I've spoken to has found out which college they're in. Should I be worried?!

Hey there!

Don't be worried, you'll get a place with either us or with Lonsdale, so do not fear!

Students are still being allocated spaces in colleges as far as I know, although I would email/call the college Residence Officers to find out for sure.

Our Residence Officer is Edwina Greenfield, her email address is [email protected], phone number is 01524 592455

Lonsdale's Residence officer is apparently Tracy Hargreaves according to the website although some of these websites are infamously not very regularly updated aha so it may not be her anymore. The email for her is [email protected] however the phone number should still be the same whether the Residence Officer has changed or not if you want to call 01524 594970

Hope you find out what you need! Anything else just give us a shout :smile:

Zak
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by itsmeciara
I didn't get an accommodation offer yet... Does that mean I am not in Cartmel? (It was my 2nd choice) and loads of Furness people have theirs so I assume I am not in Furness...?

Hi there!

Dont panic! The College Residence Officers are still allocating students spaces, you should almost definitely get either your first or second choice.

To make sure and put your mind at peace though, I'd advice either emailing our Residence Officer Edwina Greenfield at [email protected] or calling at 01524 592455. She's lovely and will be able to help!

Furness has two Residence Officers and these are Louise Calvert ([email protected]) and Andrew Gibson ([email protected]). I can't find a phone number for them anywhere but if you contact Edwina first, she will be able to point you in the right direction if need be.

Hope this is useful to you- if you need anything else then I'm more than happy to help! :smile:

Zak
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lancastergirl78
When will find out who my flatmates will be in Cartmel?

Hi there!

We don't have a specific date just yet I'm afraid-

At the moment students are still in the process of being assigned specific rooms and the Residence Officer is having to sort all clearing/adjustment students out too who have suddenly popped up for Cartmel, so just bear with us for a bit, shouldn't be too long! :smile:

Once it's all sorted, we'll be posting information on here, our website (cartmel.lusu.co.uk) and our Freshers' Week facebook page (type Cartmel College Freshers' Week 2013 into the Facebook search bar to find it!) about how you can find out who you'll be living with.

So just keep your eyes peeled! :biggrin:

Zak
Original post by Hannah_L_Cook

The previous reply pretty much already sums it up haha so I'll just repeat what was already said really:

Loads of storage under the bed, there's also 2 drawers, shelves, loads of desk space as well as a wardrobe to put stuff in. Lots of people do bring extra storage stuff though- partly for decoration and partly for practicality haha. It's entirely up to you! I bought a few boxes to put under my bed just to make it more organised and a smaller box to put in my wardrobe.

Again as already said, there is also a trunk room in each flat (it's more of a cupboard than a room but can fit a lot in) as well as a cupboard with hoover, iron and ironing board in which you can try to shove stuff in too if you're desperate!

And yep, there are connection points in the rooms for a TV :smile:

If you want any more info on accommodation this page http://cartmel.lusu.co.uk/about-cartmel/accommodation/information/ might be able to help, however if not, just post another message on here! :smile:

Zak
Original post by C.Bentley
Just got sent my accommodation offer to Cartmel this morning (: Will likely be changing from catered to self-catered though, figured I'd rather make honey-hot-chocolate at god-knows'o'clock in the morning rather than wait for the diner to be open. :tongue: (Kidding, I just figure I can budget less than the catering cost)

I'll keep a close eye on the thread so I know what's what, d'you reckon there's any chance of me landing a job in one of the student bars though?

Ahh Brilliant, welcome to Cartmel :biggrin:!

Honey-hot-chocolate sounds amazing, might have to bribe you into making me one of those!

If you did go catered, it wouldn't stop you from making food in your flat as and when you wanted as the catered flats still have a kitchen, it just means that you can go to Barker House Farm for breakfast and dinner (or tea as Northerners like to call it...However as I am from the South I shall stick with calling it dinner :tongue:)

But yeah going self-catered can be a lot cheaper! Even though I think for me I ended up spending more money because I had the freedom to buy a weeks food shop and over spent every week on ridiculous food to indulge myself haha! But I'm sure you're better at money managing than I am!

Landing a job in one of the student bars may be a bit tricky just because 2nd/3rd/4th year students may be slightly more likely to get them if they already have friends that work on the bars/know the hiring staff/have been at the uni longer/know their way around, however that doesn't mean it's impossible! Aluna, who does the Media & Communications Officer role alongside myself, managed to land an interview (and got the job) at a bar during Freshers' Week whilst she was drunk...So there you go!

Aside from the bar jobs there are plenty of jobs out there to find and Lancaster University Students' Union has a website dedicated to helping you find one- http://jobshop.lusu.co.uk/

You will have to wait til you get your Purple Card though to sign up as it requires your Purple Card number.

Zak
Original post by elissshalc

Hi there!

Someone's answered this already but I'll just reply aswell-

International student population in Cartmel is exactly the same as every other college- approximately 35% or along those lines.

Each college gets an excellent mix of all different nationalities, off the top of my head I've made friends with people from China, Sweden, Australia, Dubai, America, India to name but a few :smile:

Zak
Original post by 3445

Approximately 10 minutes like the other user has replied with! :smile:

Depends where abouts on campus you need to get to- to get to the centre of campus it takes about 10 minutes. You can walk to the complete other side of campus in about 20. Or if you're feeling sporty and you ran, it'd take a lot less time :tongue:

Zak
Reply 39
Original post by CartmelCollege
Hi there!

Dont panic! The College Residence Officers are still allocating students spaces, you should almost definitely get either your first or second choice.

To make sure and put your mind at peace though, I'd advice either emailing our Residence Officer Edwina Greenfield at [email protected] or calling at 01524 592455. She's lovely and will be able to help!

Furness has two Residence Officers and these are Louise Calvert ([email protected]) and Andrew Gibson ([email protected]). I can't find a phone number for them anywhere but if you contact Edwina first, she will be able to point you in the right direction if need be.

Hope this is useful to you- if you need anything else then I'm more than happy to help! :smile:

Zak

Thank you! Glad to hear I will get my 1st or 2nd choice (hopefully). This is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending