The Student Room Group

Does it ever depress you how crappy British weather is?

Scroll to see replies

I love our weather. It very rarely kills anyone.
Reply 21
It sounds strange, but I think one of the few redeeming qualities of this country is the mild, cool weather. I love all types of weather tbh. Wouldn't want it to always be the same.
No. I don't understand people who constantly want sunshine. I just don't see the appeal.

Summer is the worst time of year. Hot, sticky nights struggling to get to sleep. No thanks, I'll take freezing cold over that. I've got clothes to combat the cold, whereas I've got **** all to combat the heat. You can't pop to the shops with nothing on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I love our weather. It very rarely kills anyone.

Well this is a good point, we're lucky with how little extreme weather we get in the UK, things like tornadoes are rare and tornadoes that create the sort of destruction that that tornado did in the US a few weeks ago just about non existent.

Plus, it isn't all bad having a mild climate and on average, it rarely (although more often in recent years) gets too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer. Though, at the same time, it can be ****ing dreary, maybe constant sunshine wouldn't be all good, but it would be better than days after days of dreary overcast and drizzle. I guess it sums the British weather up when my mother always seems to go on about how 'tropical' it is whenever the temperature gets above 18:rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, sometimes. It's one reason why I decided to go live in Australia for a bit. Though, I've found that Melbourne and Brisbane in particular can also get some depressing weather during the Australian autumn/winter time (which is on at the same time as UK's spring/summer). It's supposed to be hot in Darwin right now though, since that's the city nearest to the equator.

Original post by Hunarench95
People complaining about how hot the UK is, go to the UAE where it's consistently 45 degrees centigrade during the day, and low to mid 30s during the night - then come back to me..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, I've been to UAE a few times and I totally get you. Jeez, it's actually too unbearable being outside during the summer there - you literally don't want to leave your air conditioned vehicles and buildings for too long!
There's a false dilemma in "would you sooner have the climate of the UAE?"

I would not, but would definitely prefer its being like the south of France.
Reply 26
Not at all, the weather in the UK is one of my favourite things about living here. I adore the rain, snow and cold weather during winter and I like the different seasons aswell. I couldn't think of anything worse than living in a constantly boiling hot country.
Reply 27
Original post by porcelainwhite
When people on the news go on about how 21 degrees is hot. When it's really not.

There are places in the med, Spain, France, Italy etc where they have 330 days worth of sunshine and our summers are almost basically their springs or autumns.

I don't know, it just depresses me how cloudy and lacking we are of sunshine in this country.

Does anyone else feel this way at times? The lifestyle that I want, being outdoors, hiking, walking, bike riding, swimming, going to the beach, enjoying the sun etc I can't have in this country unless I want to put on at least 2 layers.

Well it could be argued that we're lucky, as for our position north (can't remember if it's latitude or longitude :colondollar: ), we get very mild winters. Compare our winters to Russia and Canada, which are in roughly the same position as us, our winters are very warm in comparison, and damp, cool summers are the price we pay for that
Original post by porcelainwhite
When people on the news go on about how 21 degrees is hot. When it's really not.

There are places in the med, Spain, France, Italy etc where they have 330 days worth of sunshine and our summers are almost basically their springs or autumns.

I don't know, it just depresses me how cloudy and lacking we are of sunshine in this country.

Does anyone else feel this way at times? The lifestyle that I want, being outdoors, hiking, walking, bike riding, swimming, going to the beach, enjoying the sun etc I can't have in this country unless I want to put on at least 2 layers.

I know what you mean - it is June and we had the central heating on last night - JUNE!!!

And then when we get sun we go bonkers and go out and get frazzled in the open. ( Just thinking of all the burnt noses at work after last week!)

When it gets like this, I just think of the advantages of living here - we have seasons at least....... dark; wet; damp; wind.
Reply 29
Original post by Alesha1991
Sometimes it can, especially when we get a lot of cloudy/ rainy days. It would be nice to get more sunshine but it's not that bad though really. There's places with far worse weather- Scandinavia, Russia, some parts of America & Canada for example.

Even these places have better weather than us. Scandinavia gets far more sunshine in summer than we do
I think you Appreciate a sunny day in England then you do anywhere else however yes the weather does depress me.

I'm just going to live somewhere warmer :wink:
Oh, all the time. Waking up every day and seeing a grey sky and not a patch of blue is certainly not uplifting.
Reply 32
what's the point in moaning about a natural phenomenon? what's it going to do? you have two options, stay in britain and put up with the weather... or move.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yes, sometimes. It's one reason why I decided to go live in Australia for a bit. Though, I've found that Melbourne and Brisbane in particular can also get some depressing weather during the Australian autumn/winter time (which is on at the same time as UK's spring/summer). It's supposed to be hot in Darwin right now though, since that's the city nearest to the equator.

Darwin will be hot all year round. Since it's a tropical climate. Also, they will get loads of rain, storms and possibly cyclones.

Brisbane too will get lots of storms and rain because they are close to the tropics.

Melbourne is too far south so it gets fairly cold winters by aussie standards.

Sydney is perfect.
Original post by Moura
what's the point in moaning about a natural phenomenon? what's it going to do? you have two options, stay in britain and put up with the weather... or move.

Of course moaning's not going to change it, but it's nice to have a rant once in a while :rolleyes:
No. I'm not a fan of hot weather.

I recently went to Kenya where it was stupidly hot, all the time. Some people loved that, but I prefer it when the weather is fiercely mild or on the cooler side.
I prefer blue skies to overcast but I'm not too fussed.
Reply 36
Original post by LeonVII
Of course moaning's not going to change it, but it's nice to have a rant once in a while :rolleyes:

there's a difference between having a rant and being pointlessly miserable.
Original post by martin jol
Darwin will be hot all year round. Since it's a tropical climate. Also, they will get loads of rain, storms and possibly cyclones.

Brisbane too will get lots of storms and rain because they are close to the tropics.

Melbourne is too far south so it gets fairly cold winters by aussie standards.

Sydney is perfect.

Ah thanks for the info, I thought as much. Though, Sydney did have quite a few days of rain when I was there in February, as did Canberra. I dunno what either are like this time of year now though as I haven't been back to them since.
The weather has always batted on the side of the British throughout history. The two are so intimately intertwined that it wouldn't be Britain without British weather.
Original post by Entangled
The weather has always batted on the side of the British throughout history. The two are so intimately intertwined that it wouldn't be Britain without British weather.

please elaborate, that's really fascinating.

Quick Reply

Latest