The Student Room Group

Bristol, Swansea, Durham or Exeter for physics?

Hi, I'm applying for physics for uni next year. I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge ( natural sciences), Manchester, Imperial. And I'm unsure about other unis, Im considering Bristol, Exeter, Durham (but it's really far away-i live in Swansea) or Swansea uni. Anyone has any advice about these unis?
Also, should I apply to all competitive unis or pick one or 2 with lower offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by NataliaWojcicka
Hi, I'm applying for physics for uni next year. I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge ( natural sciences), Manchester, Imperial. And I'm unsure about other unis, Im considering Bristol, Exeter, Durham (but it's really far away-i live in Swansea) or Swansea uni. Anyone has any advice about these unis?
Also, should I apply to all competitive unis or pick one or 2 with lower offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do it! :biggrin: Manchester is brilliant.

If you can visit any of them at all before you apply, then you absolutely should to get a feel for what/where you like. The admissions process for many of them will involve a visit day/informal interview (thats certainly the case at Manchester) and happened with most places that I applied to. As well as visiting the uni, try and visit the city as well, given that you'll be living there for at least three years, it's probably a good idea finding out what the place itself is like.

If you feel confident that you can meet the higher offers, then by all means go for the competitive unis. It could be worth waiting to see what your AS results are like before you make any decisions about where you feel you do/don't have a shot.
Original post by -G-a-v-
Do it! :biggrin: Manchester is brilliant.

If you can visit any of them at all before you apply, then you absolutely should to get a feel for what/where you like. The admissions process for many of them will involve a visit day/informal interview (thats certainly the case at Manchester) and happened with most places that I applied to. As well as visiting the uni, try and visit the city as well, given that you'll be living there for at least three years, it's probably a good idea finding out what the place itself is like.

If you feel confident that you can meet the higher offers, then by all means go for the competitive unis. It could be worth waiting to see what your AS results are like before you make any decisions about where you feel you do/don't have a shot.

thanks :wink: where did you apply? :wink: i really like Manchester but i don't think i'd be able to go to many open days. I have school science trips and summer school and i'm already missing a lot of school this term...
I'm going to Bristol in 2 weeks :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by NataliaWojcicka
thanks :wink: where did you apply? :wink: i really like Manchester but i don't think i'd be able to go to many open days. I have school science trips and summer school and i'm already missing a lot of school this term...
I'm going to Bristol in 2 weeks :wink:

See if they have open days throughout the summer.
Part of the admissions process for some unis normally involves a visit day anyway - and attendance is usually required for them to make the offer, but if you can visit before that then so much the better.

It was a while since I applied, but if I recall correctly I applied to Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham, Lancaster and Keele, ended up firming Manchester and put Sheffield as my insurance.
Original post by -G-a-v-
See if they have open days throughout the summer.
Part of the admissions process for some unis normally involves a visit day anyway - and attendance is usually required for them to make the offer, but if you can visit before that then so much the better.

It was a while since I applied, but if I recall correctly I applied to Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham, Lancaster and Keele, ended up firming Manchester and put Sheffield as my insurance.

Most of them have open days in June/July or September. My school's internal deadline is end of September for Cambridge applications, so I have to be set by then.
I'm considering going to Manchester for open day but I'm not sure yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending