The Student Room Group

Politics + IR Course with languages?

Hi!
Our teachers have started telling us to look around and try to see which universities capture our attention. The thing is that I would like to study Politics and International Relations, but as a language lover, I'd also like to continue learning new ones and practising the ones I already know.
I've seen East Anglia offers a great degree in which I could study European Politics and IR, and its optional modules include Arabic or French. Do you know about any other similar university with similar modules? If that's not the case, do you know if any universities offer good language courses additionally?
Thanks! :tongue:
Bath! You can take any language the language centre offers as your option. I do politics with economics, but politics and IR outnumber us so I know a little about their course - and one of the guys in my German class does that course.
You should look at unis that offer electives as well as joint honours - at Leeds for example you could take two elective modules in other departments each year. But lots of unis are likely to offer joint honours politics and languages.
Bath and Aston offer the three subjects together. Bear in mind that IR is actually 'International Politics' by any other name. So looking for a named Politics + IR + Language courses might not necessary, and actually might actificially limit your choices.

Find some joint courses of IR/language or Politics/language and READ the course descriptions, as often you will find that there is enough flexibility on optional courses that you can do the topics etc you are interested in. For instance, SOAS (uni of London) requires that all students follow a language regardless of their named degree subject. And many Unis offer a Year Abroad in Europe or Asia regardless of whether or not you've actually studied that language at Uni (the IR and Politics course at Bristol as one example).
Reply 4
Original post by alindp
Hi!
Our teachers have started telling us to look around and try to see which universities capture our attention. The thing is that I would like to study Politics and International Relations, but as a language lover, I'd also like to continue learning new ones and practising the ones I already know.
I've seen East Anglia offers a great degree in which I could study European Politics and IR, and its optional modules include Arabic or French. Do you know about any other similar university with similar modules? If that's not the case, do you know if any universities offer good language courses additionally?
Thanks! :tongue:

any questions about the IR course at UEA feel free to ask me. Just looking on the course profile now and the list of languages available is quite vast and goes beyond just Arabic and French incase you weren't aware.

I know Kings incorporate languages into many of their programmes and even have one with a year abroad in Europe (BA European Studies) if you wanted an ambitious choice.

Essex do a BA International Relations and Modern Languages which again includes a year abroad.

If you google or just look at university websites you should be able to find what your looking for.
With the University of Kent there's so many different choices you can choose from! - Here's the link http://www.kent.ac.uk/politics/undergraduates/programmes/ As you can see you can do politics and a language or you can do a year abroad in a different country! (Most of the universities abroad teach in English). You can even learn Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, Arabic and Portuguese as well as French, German, Italian and Spanish) alongside your Politics degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending