The Student Room Group

Things your teachers did that they'd never get away with now..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scillage
My primary schools' front gates (1999-2005) were left open constantly, even during lunch. Not much has changed!

Because it was Australia where the schools are made up of lots of separate buildings rather than one/two big ones, there wasn't really any actual fence :tongue: There were fences between the grounds and private houses, and like, half a side facing the road, but the main entrance was just a low green fence between a big block of classrooms and office/medical building (a tiny one-storey building). There was also an open driveway between that office building and pool :lol: There was a high school attached also (same organisation running the schools), which we theoretically could have easily walked to (just a short path in between; we went there every Monday for chapel - which brings me back to the ridiculous fact that they were allowed to teach that **** :mmm:) and left from.

Never really thought about it being insecure; it's probably still like that.
Reply 41
Original post by Mousemeastro98
In my brother and sister's school it does! If anyone is caught with a snack with any chocolate in it, its confiscated. The rule includes chocolate spread sandwiches and chocolate rice cakes. My sister claims that a dinner lady even once confiscated her oatcracker because she thought the raisins were chocolate chips!

My blood pressure has risen.

No food is inherently 'bad', people need some sugar. ...I had chocolate for breaktime snacks half the time at school and look how fat i didn't turn out. PATHETIC. An incompetent parent isn't going to be stopped from misfeeding their child because the school can't police breakfast or tea time. Or the weekends.
GRR.
When i was in year 5, my teacher had a bit of an obsession with dr who -actually i think a primary school teacher had been his back up plan and he'd originally wanted to be a film director or something- his interest in film directing and dr. who became increasingly apparent and after a couple of months in his class, when he announced that we were going to make a film that would be entered into loads of short film competitions. This was obviously met with some excitement and as a result we proceeded to begin writing scripts for it with the theme of dr. who. After a considerable time where we did pretty much no other lessons other than write these scripts and watch dr. who episodes for inspiration, the teacher chose the best ones and got in touch with some old mates in the film crew buissness. We then spent about 6 weeks filming on and off the site of the school and when we weren't in the scene being filmed, groups of us would just be sat at the side colouring or otherwise just watching. What surprises me now is that NO ONE seemed bothered. Even the headteacher turned a complete blind eye to the fact that we should have been preparing for SATs and doing PE, maths and science. Im not sure if in the long run it benefitted me at all but i have to say at the time it was pretty fun and gave me some work experience in acting and sound/lighting tech for films.doubt this would happen now as state schools have such a strict curriculum.
Reply 43
"Help" in gym and tennis? Nothing drastically bad but wasn't exactly fun.
Teachers have said obvious racist things over the past few years including calling an Indian guy "chocolate boy". That one is my fave:rolleyes:
Reply 45
Original post by daisydaffodil
This maybe applies more to those of us who have left school a few years ago (I left in 2009!) :biggrin:

Inspired by a DM article in which a parent's up in arms about the fact that his kid's scholl refused them lunch - rung a few bells with me.

When I was in primary school, I attended a rural school which was built on two sites. Site 1, in the village centre, had no kitchen. It had a small dining hall but no kitchen facilities. It was an Edwardian school. Site 2 (for pupils aged 8 - 12) had a kitchen. Lunch was carried from the second school to site 1, in fancy containers so it wouldn't get cold. Because of that lunch was ordered in exact amounts and done by a menu system (school needed to know what you wanted before lunch), e.g. say 30 children from site 1 wanted a burger they would take 30 rolls down. By 2000 Site 2 burnt to the ground, site 1 got meals from a school 10 miles away, site 2 were shifted to an empty school thirteen miles away and got meals from a school near to there. (Still following?!)

For whatever reason there were inevitably food shortages. There was never enough for everyone. As such, the meals were done by rota. So on Monday, P4 would be fed first, followed by P7, P6 then P5. If you had lost your meal ticket, hadn't paid, or had badly behaved, you were put to the far back of the queue. By the end of the queue, there'd be nothing for the final few pupils. Depending on the situation, this could mean there'd be nothing for those who had behaved, paid etc.

So the final few had to get something, but obviously the school had no stores of decent food. So "meals" consisted of a mix of - rice and grated cheese, digestive biscuits, oatcakes, a single potato/scoop of mash or baked beans, also a small glass of water. What you got depended entirely on what was for dinner that day.

Because of the shortages though they would make sure every last drop was eaten. I still remember the dinner lady standing at the bucket, checking your plate. If you had left anything more than crumbs/sauce remnants you were sent back to eat it all, or occasionally told to eat it there and then while she watched.

We were also walked up to the local castle, perched on a cliff edge with unfenced 80 ft drops (more than several people/animals have died up there). The whole school, all 90 of us, 5 teachers, went up there, clipboards and pencils in hand, to draw the castle. We also went and counted traffic on the main road with one teacher to fifteen of us... Went to a teacher's house to examine her pond for frogs.. They also walked us to the harbour to spot porpoises (a harbour with twenty foot drops that were unfenced), walked all the way to a church two miles out of the village (involved walking on a main road). Also had regular times when we were totally unsupervised, not even in the school building, because of staff shortages..

We also had lessons from an untrained man who taught us about ghosts. He made us tell him about the ghosts we had seen, and he made us do telepathy experiments. I kid you not. Some of his stories were terrifying for eight year olds and I remember having nightmares.

It's seriously never occured to me that this was at all odd - but I can see if it happened now, it would be stopped pretty quickly!!

Anyone else have anything weird happen to them at school?!

I remember the dinner ladies being like this at primary school. They even would demand to see inside our lunch boxes to ensure we'd eaten everything...strange
Reply 46
Original post by LeonVII
Yes it does. In my sister's primary school, no one is allowed to have crisps, chocolates, biscuits or any drink except water in their packed lunch. If they catch you with it, theyll confiscate it.

Obviously though, kids will be kids, and I've heard that most of them smuggle things in and gobble them up, when the teachers arent looking.

I wasn't allowed to take sweets in. I remember refusing sweets in my packed lunch because the teachers would get cross. Imagine, a kid refusing sweets!
Original post by OedipusTheKing
Best thing I have heard in this forum for a long time :ahee:

It was weird! Only one of his stories has really stuck in my mind, he told us that as a child he went to an old fashioned sweet shop and this lady dressed in Victorian gear looked down at him and said hello Michael (his name). We got a picture of what he thought the woman looked like if I remember right :s-smilie: It was horrible.

He even tried to teach us about the concept of coincidences, we got a list of examples and had to discuss why they might have happened, how anyone could expect a group of children to understand those lessons is beyond me!!

The telepathy stuff was strange too. He would sit with his back to us, and would tell us to concentrate on his mind and to draw symbols on paper out of four/five choices in the order he was thinking of. If we got it right, we were praised: "You may have telepathic abilities! Exciting!". If you got it wrong you had to try again.

What a brilliant scientifically correct experiment :biggrin:

I've never understood why it happened, or who authorized it - I just remember the teacher would leave the room and he'd take the lesson.. He stopped coming when we were about ten or eleven, I think more than several parents complained about nightmares, bed-wetting etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
I was in year 3 back in '95. A teacher called me a paki. I'm Hindu.
Oh yeah, she didn't get away with it lol
My primary school was run by nuns and we didn't get a normal head teacher until year one.
Original post by ConnorB
A teacher called Miss Kovacks really like me. She used to dangle me from my feet and swing me around if I got all the answers right in my spelling test . I was 5 and it was 1999.

When I read that, I thought you must be really old then I realised I was 5 in 1999 as well :colondollar:
Original post by Fortitude
When I read that, I thought you must be really old then I realised I was 5 in 1999 as well :colondollar:

Simpler times. According to 1999, it was the peak of Human Civilisation. All I know is I jammed to this. All day. Everyday.
:dance:
Reply 52
When I was in primary school, I used to give my Kit-Kat to a teacher if I couldn't open it. She'd open it and take one half!
Reply 53
When I was in year 1 a boy in my class pooed himself and flushed his pants down the toilet, which obviously caused a blockage. The headmistress then got all the year 1 boys out into the hall and pulled our trousers down to check if we were wearing underwear! Thankfully the guy started crying before she got to him, but now I think about that was really dodgy! It was t exactly the 50s or whatever either, it was 1998!
Once in primary school one of the girls I was sitting with did a question wrong on her paper. The teacher tore it up infront of her face and she started crying! She was so traumatized. We were only about 6 xD
I don't think the teacher got told off or anything, infact I remember him pointing to me and saying 'Meg wouldn't cry if I did that to her!.' I think I was just too shocked to say anything.
Reply 55
Original post by Ham22
My blood pressure has risen.

No food is inherently 'bad', people need some sugar. ...I had chocolate for breaktime snacks half the time at school and look how fat i didn't turn out. PATHETIC. An incompetent parent isn't going to be stopped from misfeeding their child because the school can't police breakfast or tea time. Or the weekends.
GRR.

Well...

tumblr_ls3b533eET1qd3z0fo1_500.jpg
In primary school, I had a teacher that blew her lid and threw chairs. I can't remember the age group, I think it was 4-5 or 6-7 (somewhere from '92-'96). Her name was Mrs. Beckerleg, so we came up with the super witty Mrs. Breakaleg. I actually used to write to her when I left school.
Reply 57
One of our teachers in secondary school got mad and threw a pen at someone. He missed, so he picked it up and threw it again... Was quite amusing for the people sat at the back, but people nearer the front were terrified. This was only in about 2007-8 at a guess though.

Also, in year 6 one boy in our class was having some problems at home and for whatever reason went mad one day, roaming the school grounds, refusing to go to class and so on. The teachers were worried for our safety so they moved us to the IT room, which was the only free room that only had one lockable door and no other way in. Seriously. This guy wasn't even that big or tough, but apparently we had to be locked in a room with a teacher. Can't imagine that happening now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my teachers, who was actually one of the best teachers I've ever had once pulled a boy off his chair backwards and dragged him out of the class by his collar.

Another teacher asked a boy with learning difficulties whether his brain was the size of a pea.

A PE teacher used to do an impression of a boy in my class who had a speech problems in front of our class and according to my brother who is in the year below, used to do it for their class as well.
Reply 59
Original post by deedee123
Its not like i'm old or anything but when i was in primary my teachers would always hug & comfort a crying child, i don't think they would do that in present day primary schools.

I work in a primary school, and sometimes kids randomly want hugs, and throw them from nowhere :tongue: that's fine and dandy, as long as it's to our (staff) sides rather than face on haha, and as long as we don't initiate it.

(btw, I accident negged your post, sorry :frown: feel free to neg me back haha)

Quick Reply

Latest