The Student Room Group

Edexcel S4 21st June 2013

No thread for S4? It's only just over a week away, so thought I'd start it.

I know not a lot of people do this, but there's surely a few people on here who are? Any fellow statisticians? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing it! Got S3 tomorrow as well. How are you finding S4?
Reply 2
To be honest I've kind of neglected S4... I've got M4 and M5 to revise too which are comparatively much harder :frown:

I don't think S4's too bad though. Just basically hypothesis testing and confidence intervals with different distributions.

How about you? :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah I've not done much on it yet. There's so little on the syllabus for it that the questions are all so similar anyway. Are you doing Further-Additional maths then, if you're doing M4 and M5?
Reply 4
Original post by bushbaby4
Yeah I've not done much on it yet. There's so little on the syllabus for it that the questions are all so similar anyway. Are you doing Further-Additional maths then, if you're doing M4 and M5?

Yep. Now done D2, M3 and S3 - just got M4, S4 and M5 to go now, then I'll have done the lot.

So are you doing the additional FM AS, or just a lot of stats for your further? :smile:
Reply 5
What days the exam? I just did S3 and i didn't enter for S4 cos i wasn't sure whether i was ready for it - now regretting that!

I've done:

C1, C2, FP1, S1, S2, S3, D1, D2

So I'm a module behind for AS further maths additional :/
Reply 6
Original post by TMaullin
What days the exam? I just did S3 and i didn't enter for S4 cos i wasn't sure whether i was ready for it - now regretting that!

I've done:

Hi there - S4 is on the morning of Friday 21st June.

Are those the only modules you've done?
Reply 7
Original post by Miken Moose
Yep. Now done D2, M3 and S3 - just got M4, S4 and M5 to go now, then I'll have done the lot.

So are you doing the additional FM AS, or just a lot of stats for your further? :smile:

I'm doing Further Maths as an A2. Chose to teach myself S4 instead of doing M3 because I really HATE mechanics! My school tend to teach one spare module though so if one exam goes really badly we can discount it. So still have C4, S4, FP2 and FP3 left to do.
Guys can you explain this question on the June 11 paper? I've never seen the notation before... question 6a.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20QP/6686_01_que_20110623.pdf
Reply 9
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Guys can you explain this question on the June 11 paper? I've never seen the notation before... question 6a.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20QP/6686_01_que_20110623.pdf

Oh, I remember that question. Do you mean you don't recognise the form of f(y)? Think (or look) back to S2 continuous random variables. It's just saying that for y values 0 to beta the value of f(y) is the thing to left of that, and for all other values of y f(y)=0.

Remember also that

E(Y)=yf(y)dyE(Y)=\int yf(y)dy

Over the range of y, in this case 0 to beta.

If you require any other help, please do ask! :smile:
Oh, I remember that question. Do you mean you don't recognise the form of f(y)? Think (or look) back to S2 continuous random variables. It's just saying that for y values 0 to beta the value of f(y) is the thing to left of that, and for all other values of y f(y)=0.

Remember also that

E(Y)=yf(y)dyE(Y)=\int yf(y)dy

Over the range of y, in this case 0 to beta.

If you require any other help, please do ask! :smile:

Does that translate to E(Ym)=ymf(y)dyE(Y^m)=\int y^mf(y)dy?
I remember continuous random variables, its the max(X1,X2..,Xn) max {(X_1, X_2.., X_n)} I don't recognise...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Does that translate to E(Ym)=ymf(y)dyE(Y^m)=\int y^mf(y)dy?

Yes, that's right. :smile:

I remember continuous random variables, its the max(X1,X2..,Xn) max {(X_1, X_2.., X_n)} I don't recognise...

Oh, that just means the maximum value of the values in brackets, for example:

MAX(1, 5, 8, 2, -3, 7) = 8
Yes, that's right. :smile:

Oh, that just means the maximum value of the values in brackets, for example:

MAX(1, 5, 8, 2, -3, 7) = 8

Hmm, yeah that's what I had figured it meant. But I fail to see how that relates to the variable Y.

Oh gosh it just hit me. I'm so dumb. I was sitting here wondering how Y and X were related, and how you could work out the probabilities of things being maximum values... The distribution function they show is for Y, you don't need to work out the function yourself.... ach I'm stupid. I'd not've got it in the exam because I couldn't remember that you had to integrate it but it all makes sense. Thank you very much! :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by TMaullin

I've done:

What do you guys do for AS further maths additional?
Original post by Allen_x

I'm doing 15 modules but it's unclear exactly what will count towards what...

C1 - 4
M1 - 3
S1 - 4
D1
and FP1 - 3
Reply 15
I'm doing 15 modules but it's unclear exactly what will count towards what...

C1 - 4
M1 - 3
S1 - 4
D1
and FP1 - 3

Oh wow... how many other a levels are you doing?
Reply 16
Original post by Allen_x

I'm doing the whole A-level - I've already done C1-4, FP1-3, D1, M1-2 and S1-2, and I've got the exams for the rest this summer. I'm not actually sure which will be assigned to the AS side and which to the A2 side since they're all A2 modules.
Quick question. In the book (page 25, part c) It asks to find a consistent estimator for the function.

Would really appreciate any help, as I really can't get myead around this part of the chapter at all.
Reply 18
Original post by abhiksetia
Quick question. In the book (page 25, part c) It asks to find a consistent estimator for the function.

Would really appreciate any help, as I really can't get myead around this part of the chapter at all.

Parts (a) and (b) of this example are contents from S2. Also stuff from S1 like the E(X) and Var(X) for continuous uniform distribution will creep up. It would be wise to look through those chapters if they're causing you problems.

E(M)=nan+1E(M)= \frac{na}{n+1} is the answer from part (a) as you should have calculated.

so (n+1)E(M)=na(n+1)E(M)=na and (n+1)E(M)n=a\frac{(n+1)E(M)}{n}=a

Let M=E(M), so E(Q)=(n+1)Mn=aE(Q)= \frac{(n+1)M}{n}=a

Find the variance of Var(Q) by taking out n+1n\frac{n+1}{n} and square it because you're doing variance, and substitute the answer for Var(M) in part (b). You now get the varience for estimator Q.

The definition of consistent estimator is that when n gets larger, the varience of the estimator gets smaller. Check if Var(Q) does that. If Var(Q) does, then Q is a consistent estimator of a.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Allen_x
Parts (a) and (b) of this example are contents from S2. Also stuff from S1 like the E(X) and Var(X) for continuous uniform distribution will creep up. It would be wise to look through those chapters if they're causing you problems.

E(M)=nan+1E(M)= \frac{na}{n+1} is the answer from part (a) as you should have calculated.

so (n+1)E(M)=na(n+1)E(M)=na and (n+1)E(M)n=a\frac{(n+1)E(M)}{n}=a

Let M=E(M), so E(Q)=(n+1)Mn=aE(Q)= \frac{(n+1)M}{n}=a

Find the variance of Var(Q) by taking out n+1n\frac{n+1}{n} and square it because you're doing variance, and substitute the answer for Var(M) in part (b). You now get the varience for estimator Q.

The definition of consistent estimator is that when n gets larger, the varience of the estimator gets smaller. Check if Var(Q) does that. If Var(Q) does, then Q is a consistent estimator of a.

I'd kind of figured that out eventually but your explanation clears it out further. Thanks a lot for taking the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending