The Student Room Group

Can I ask for more money?

Because of my parents income, I effectively get £17 a week after accommodation costs. My parents have mortgages and loans of their own so I don't expect them to pay my way through university - can I ask sfe for more money? As I can't live on such a tiny sum.

(PS the way sfe allocates finance based on household income is a joke)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chickendroid
Because of my parents income, I effectively get £17 a week after accommodation costs. My parents have mortgages and loans of their own so I don't expect them to pay my way through university - can I ask sfe for more money? As I can't live on such a tiny sum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. You'll need to get a part time job to supplement your income.
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

its not a joke, its done so people from the poorest households will have enough to survive as their parents might not be able to help them even if they had no food.
Reply 3
Well how am I meant to survive?! My parents can put in a little but it's a bit unfair on them!
Reply 4
Well how am I meant to survive?! My parents can put in a little but it's a bit unfair on them!

the way student finance see it if they have been supporting you before uni (eg. by paying for a roof over your head and food and travel costs) then there is no reason why they cant support you during uni. a lot of students get a part time job to suplement income and get overdrafts with a studetn account.
Reply 5
Try and get a part-time job. I am entitled to the Maintenance Grant, My mum earns less than half for qualifying, and I work weekends and will work full-time on Summer to save and support myself throughout university. I think everything you're entitled to will show on your estimate/ letter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The way some middle class parents fritter their household income without a thought of their responsibilities to their kids is a joke.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
its not a joke, its done so people from the poorest households will have enough to survive as their parents might not be able to help them even if they had no food.

I agree with your post,that it's not a joke.........
Reply 8
Try being from a large family whose parents have a low household income :') It really is annoying though and I completely get why you'd want to try and get as much as from your loans. Realistically though, I doubt SFE will give you anything further.
Have you tried applying for scholarships at your university? They always have some to offer! Also a part time job would be your best bet. Make sure you have one sorted before you move away.
Original post by balotelli12
The way some middle class parents fritter their household income without a thought of their responsibilities to their kids is a joke.

Income is not the same thing as disposable income. My parents earn enough money that I don't qualify for much of a loan, but to earn that money my dad needs to work in London 5 days a week (we live in scotland) and has the associated costs (rent of a flat, travel in London, other living costs to stay down there and occasional flights back home). Once these costs are accounted for we are much less well off than some families with lower incomes who get more generous loans. You need to remember that in order to earn high salaries, people often have high work related expenses.
Reply 10
I've heard many stories of middle class children complaining that they find it the hardest to afford university. You can't blame the government for this, their aim is merely to help those who can't afford to go to university in order to prevent widening class divisions. Middle class parents can afford it they just don't want to pay up. They for some reason feel the same entitlement for subsidized loans that less wealthy families get. They do not see higher education that is something that is up to them to provide for their child if they can. They have relatively high salaries, they get huge mortgages, credit cards and three gas guzzling cars, then when time for university comes up they think the government must throw extra money at them because "little Jimmy is entitled to university no matter how much money we wasted on other things". In places like America this attitude does not exist. You hear of the "college fund" because people in those countries know that it is their responsibility to provide higher education for their child. I'm sorry but if you can't afford to go to university because your parents refuse to pay up then too bad. The government loans don't mean you are entitled to go to university, it's just there to make it easier. Responsibility lies with the parent. I'm not saying I agree with this but that is just how it is. SLC will not give you more money, they will tell you to ask your parents, get a job or just drop out.
Reply 11
To be honest, £17 a week is enough to live on, but it is not an easy life. You just need to cut back a lot. A LOT. And budget like crazy. If that means not going out at night, buying basic ranges at the supermarket or buying in bulk so that you have more food for following weeks, then so be it. The stereotype of poor students is a stereotype for a reason.

When my partner was unemployed for a while a year or so ago, my student loan had to cover both of us, which meant that after rent and bills we had about £15 a week for two people at a stretch.

The student finance system here is fair, and because of that asking for more money would yield you nothing. If it were possible, then every student would be asking for more. Being a student teaches you more than your degree - it sets you up with valuable real life skills like budgeting and surviving on the bare minimum.

There are overdrafts there for a reason too. You can also look into getting a part time job. Unless you have a genuine case then asking SFE for more money will not get you anywhere. Your parents not helping you is, unfortunately, not a genuine case.
Reply 12
Turns out I get more than expected, there was a mistake in my form which was restricting me from getting the correct amount.

Thanks for the debate though guys - although I think the debt should be my own personal responsibility and not my parents'. That's why I see it as unfair, but I can understand other points of view.
Original post by SR255
I've heard many stories of middle class children complaining that they find it the hardest to afford university. You can't blame the government for this, their aim is merely to help those who can't afford to go to university in order to prevent widening class divisions. Middle class parents can afford it they just don't want to pay up. They for some reason feel the same entitlement for subsidized loans that less wealthy families get. They do not see higher education that is something that is up to them to provide for their child if they can. They have relatively high salaries, they get huge mortgages, credit cards and three gas guzzling cars, then when time for university comes up they think the government must throw extra money at them because "little Jimmy is entitled to university no matter how much money we wasted on other things". In places like America this attitude does not exist. You hear of the "college fund" because people in those countries know that it is their responsibility to provide higher education for their child. I'm sorry but if you can't afford to go to university because your parents refuse to pay up then too bad. The government loans don't mean you are entitled to go to university, it's just there to make it easier. Responsibility lies with the parent. I'm not saying I agree with this but that is just how it is. SLC will not give you more money, they will tell you to ask your parents, get a job or just drop out.

At the same time it is not right to punish the student for their parents blowing their disposable income or their attitude the government should fund it.
Reply 14
Original post by northbrad30
At the same time it is not right to punish the student for their parents blowing their disposable income or their attitude the government should fund it.

Punishment is taking away someone's rights. They didn't have a right to university education in the first place therefore it is not a punishment. If a child's parents are too stingy to buy their child new clothes is it a punishment from the government that they don't step in and provide new clothes for the child? Responsibility for the child lies with the parent unless they are outright abusing them.
Original post by SR255
Punishment is taking away someone's rights. They didn't have a right to university education in the first place therefore it is not a punishment. If a child's parents are too stingy to buy their child new clothes is it a punishment from the government that they don't step in and provide new clothes for the child? Responsibility for the child lies with the parent unless they are outright abusing them.

So then responsibility lies on a parent whatever there income.
Your saying a person who's family has a low income DESERVES to go to university, but a person who's family has a modest income but cannot give to them for whatever reason then they don't deserve to go to university?

A wannabe student should not suffer because of their parents spending habits, the same way a wannabe student should not suffer because of their parents low income.

I do not really understand this attitude

When I chose to have children I understood that I had a fiscal responsibility for them

I also understood that, should they wish to go to university, I would need to supplement the cost

It is not as though this is a new idea!

A wannabe student should not suffer because of their parents spending habits, the same way a wannabe student should not suffer because of their parents low income.

The question is .. who is responsible for the "suffering"

You seem to think it is the government, I would argue it is the parents
Original post by TenOfThem
The question is .. who is responsible for the "suffering"

You seem to think it is the government, I would argue it is the parents

And is it still not the parents if they just generally have a low income, but yet they receive more help?
And is it still not the parents if they just generally have a low income, but yet they receive more help?

Looking at 2 sets of parents

- one who have an annual income of £25k
- one who have an income of £50k

The first has no real disposable income to take responsibility for
The second does have

The second has made choices about how they are spending their money

I am not criticising their choices, I am not saying that money has been squandered, I am simply saying that they have made choices and they are responsible for them

Quick Reply

Latest