The Student Room Group

Can I ask for more money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swanbow
How come a person who's parents are earning £59k can get a maximum loan of around £5k but suddenly that drops amount drops £3.5k when you're parents are on £60k. If that is the really the way the system works then it is certainly messed up.

You don't really understand how student finance works do you?
Reply 41
Original post by OU Student
You don't get £5k if your parents earn £59k. You get just under £4k.

I'm getting £4k loan at the moment and £1k grant and there is not a chance in hell that my father is earning £59k. I presume the system has changed since the increase in tuition fees?
Original post by Swanbow
I'm getting £4k loan at the moment and £1k grant and there is not a chance in hell that my father is earning £59k. I presume the system has changed since the increase in tuition fees?

it has slightly although the minimum ammount has not really changed
Reply 43
Original post by balotelli12
You don't really understand how student finance works do you?

I applied and the government have given me money. I pay back the loan and I don't pay back the grant. That's about the extent of my knowledge on it, hence me asking questions as I am getting confused as to why so many people are getting offered such a low amount that doesn't even cover their accommodation.
Original post by Swanbow

eh? I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I said. The grant cut off point is somewhere around £42k.
Reply 45
Original post by OU Student
eh? I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I said. The grant cut off point is somewhere around £42k.

Right, I'm just on the student finance calculator at the moment trying to work it out. Sorry just getting a bit confused with everything.
Original post by Swanbow
I applied and the government have given me money. I pay back the loan and I don't pay back the grant. That's about the extent of my knowledge on it, hence me asking questions as I am getting confused as to why so many people are getting offered such a low amount that doesn't even cover their accommodation.

because its deemed that their parents earn a sufficient ammount to be able to make up the difference
Original post by Swanbow

What makes you think it is supposed to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending