The Student Room Group

Stopping on Pedestrian crossings??

Hi guys. I have abit of a driving question.

When I'm in queuing traffic that is passing a pedestrian crossing I leave the gap for the crossing and only move over it once I can move all the way over and not be blocking it if any pedestrians do come along.

However today I did the exactly that on a route I take everyday (and as I used to walk this route I know how much of a pain it is for a car to be blocking the crossing). The crossing is across a dual carriage way and just before a busy roundabout and thus the traffic is backing up past the crossing. I left the gap for the crossing, however after about 10 seconds the guy behind started flashing his lights at me and honking his horn, and then the guy behind him swerved round us both and squeezed into the gap I have left for the crossing, shouting at me as he pass's.

Am I right in leaving a gap or should I just drive right up to the car infront ignoring the fact that this could block pedestrians who may come along and want to cross.

Thanks Guys
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't worry about it. You might be right you might be wrong you are behind wheels do what you think is right( if anything happens you will be blamed!) if you had obstructed pedestrians they might get angry at you.

If people do this again just give them a smile making faces or man up & stick a middle finger up.
Reply 2
Original post by lbsf1
Hi guys. I have abit of a driving question.

When I'm in queuing traffic that is passing a pedestrian crossing I leave the gap for the crossing and only move over it once I can move all the way over and not be blocking it if any pedestrians do come along.

However today I did the exactly that on a route I take everyday (and as I used to walk this route I know how much of a pain it is for a car to be blocking the crossing). The crossing is across a dual carriage way and just before a busy roundabout and thus the traffic is backing up past the crossing. I left the gap for the crossing, however after about 10 seconds the guy behind started flashing his lights at me and honking his horn, and then the guy behind him swerved round us both and squeezed into the gap I have left for the crossing, shouting at me as he pass's.

Am I right in leaving a gap or should I just drive right up to the car infront ignoring the fact that this could block pedestrians who may come along and want to cross.

Thanks Guys

No you're right - dont ever stop on a pedestrian crossing! some drivers get annoyed for no reason - just ignore them and concentrate on what you know is right!
Besides, if you'd stopped on the crossing, you'd have had pedestrians shouting at you instead haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah if you stop over a crossing in your driving test it's an instant failure so you obviously aren't supposed to do it, however in real life most people don't do what they are supposed to especially when this involves driving
Reply 4

Highway Code

Rule 191: You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

Rule 192: In queuing traffic, you should keep the crossing clear.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/pedestrian-crossings-191-to-199

You are completely in the right stopping and waiting for the car in front to provide sufficient room for you to clear the crossing before proceeding :yes: You should pay the other drivers no heed. It's not worth potentially being fined or given points just to make other drivers happy.
Reply 5
is the crossing you left a gap for controlled by traffic lights?

if not then there is no reason to leave a gap although it is polite.
Reply 6
If its a set of pedestrian lights then you would leave a gap, i've never seen anyone behave in that way. Even if you weren't, why would they care if you were a bit away from the line? they aren't going to get away any quicker.
Reply 7
The only exception to this rule is if the space between the crossing and the give way line is too small for the vehicle to fit into

In that case make sure the crossing is clear and nobody wants to cross at that time and then move up to the give way line

If waiting at the give way line and then somebody decides they want to cross it is not your fault and no marks on a test will be given

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending