The Student Room Group

bad credit score/declined student account at bank

Has anyone else had their application for a student account at a bank declined? I went to open one today and they said I had a really bad credit score thing and had to decline me and then they started talking about how someone could possibly have taken a loan out in my name etc which started to scare me but I've checked my credit score on nobble.com and experian (but im still waiting to hear from them) and theres nothing about someone making accounts in my name or anything? :confused: just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
Reply 1
Address is irrelevant in terms of financial associations. You can't be linked by living in the same house only.

Yes, have you ever taken out a contract and not paid?

Are you on the electoral roll? This is important.
Was the information - i.e. address - correct? This is important.
Did you give three years accurate address history? This is important.
Have you ever had any bank accounts before? If you have one open you could swap it to a student account?

Go back to the bank you applied with and ask them to appeal the decision if you cannot see anything adverse on your credit file. At worst they will be able to get back to you after contacting their underwriters (head office) and give you a reason why - which hopefully you can fix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hasty
Address is irrelevant in terms of financial associations. You can't be linked by living in the same house only.

Yes, have you ever taken out a contract and not paid?

Are you on the electoral roll? This is important.
Was the information - i.e. address - correct? This is important.
Did you give three years accurate address history? This is important.
Have you ever had any bank accounts before? If you have one open you could swap it to a student account?

Go back to the bank you applied with and ask them to appeal the decision if you cannot see anything adverse on your credit file. At worst they will be able to get back to you after contacting their underwriters (head office) and give you a reason why - which hopefully you can fix.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I've never taken out any loans or gone into any over draft ever. My student loan for university which I'm getting this september hopefully, is the only loan I would of ever taken.
I'm not electoral roll, never really thought it was a big problem though?
All my addresses were correct too, and I do, but the bank I'm currently with are a complete pain and I wanted to open a student one with a different bank and switch all my accounts over which sounds easy enough but it's turning into more hassle than its worth! But thank you anyway! :u:
Reply 3
I do but surely that shouldn't have an affect on me as an individual? and I haven't no
Electoral roll is the big one, you need to sort that. As that might be why you were rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lozzielizzie
Electoral roll is the big one, you need to sort that. As that might be why you were rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup this.

If you haven't had any credit before and aren't on the electoral roll then you probably barely exist - to their systems. Your existing bank - opened before 18 - wouldn't have used this information - jus t your ID - so they should upgrade you easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ah I see, thanks guys, I never thought it was a really big deal to be honest haha!
Reply 7
You can if you have confirmation letters of your place from UCAS/the university you're planning on going to. :^_^:
Reply 8
Could it be because you havenmt got a credit score yet? im assuming you dont have any credit cards etc.?
Reply 9
Original post by danielaandrea
Has anyone else had their application for a student account at a bank declined? I went to open one today and they said I had a really bad credit score thing and had to decline me and then they started talking about how someone could possibly have taken a loan out in my name etc which started to scare me but I've checked my credit score on nobble.com and experian (but im still waiting to hear from them) and theres nothing about someone making accounts in my name or anything? :confused: just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Which bank is this with? Do you have a monthly contract for your mobile or anything that you pay monthly like contact lenses that you have been late in paying? That goes towards your credit rating (as I was told in the bank).
Reply 10
Original post by cl_steele
Could it be because you havenmt got a credit score yet? im assuming you dont have any credit cards etc.?

Original post by TLK
Which bank is this with? Do you have a monthly contract for your mobile or anything that you pay monthly like contact lenses that you have been late in paying? That goes towards your credit rating (as I was told in the bank).

Nope I haven't got any credit cards.

It's with Lloyds TSB, and I haven't got a mobile contract and don't have any bills to pay anyways which is why I got confused as to why I had a bad credit score :confused:
Reply 11

It's with Lloyds TSB, and I haven't got a mobile contract and don't have any bills to pay anyways which is why I got confused as to why I had a bad credit score :confused:

Weird :confused: ,try asking them how you got the bad credit score or if it was a mistake.
Reply 12

its not a bad credit score which is your issue its that you dont really have one... you need to build up one with a credit builder card or however you so choose to do it then people will start lending you money and letting you intoaccounts with perks.
Reply 13
Original post by cl_steele
its not a bad credit score which is your issue its that you dont really have one... you need to build up one with a credit builder card or however you so choose to do it then people will start lending you money and letting you intoaccounts with perks.

Yeah I thought that too, I went back with my credit score thing from experian and they gave me an account straight away, so weird haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending