The Student Room Group

How valuable was your internship?

Poll

Were you paid for your internship?

With 21st Century Fox’s, The Internship set for release on 3 July, I was wondering about the value that students and graduates get from their internships/work placements/sandwich years. I found mine extremely useful and am pretty sure it’s the reason I got my job at TSR.
Where did you do yours? Did you enjoy it? Did you get any value out of it or was it a complete waste of time?

Note: please fill in the poll too, it would be interesting to know if the recession has affected pay for these positions.

Scroll to see replies

Extremely valuable for so many reasons.

Firstly it introduced me to the 9-5 world. Takes a bit of getting used to compared to university (especially when you have a long commute!), but it's not so bad.

Secondly, it taught taught me a lot about the industry I want to enter - not just about how it works but also the different roles available, progression between them and which ones would best suit myself. The knowledge I gained helped a lot when it came to subsequent interviews.

Thirdly, it helped my CV stand out from the pack when applying to graduate jobs. I'm not any better in any way than some of my coursemates who didn't have any internships or relevant experience, but I was more successful in getting interviews than them. Quite a lot of the companies I applied to weren't interested in interviewing candidates who didn't have an internship, year in industry or pre-university work experience.

Lastly, it helped me a lot financially. I was making more than I would have had I worked in a typical student job over the summer.

Overall I would definitely recommend that people take internships if they can get them, and that they take a proactive approach to ensuring they acquire one by not only doing the usual method of applying to them online when advertised, but also calling and emailing companies that maybe don't advertise them to see if you can get some work experience with them anyway.
Reply 2
I start one on monday (university exams mean I start a week later than I should have...) but thought I would post what I hope to get out of it. Then, once I've completed it (and if I remember typing this) I'll come back and edit this post to compare with what I actually got out of it. I'll be doing a month's teaching internship for physics. My primary aim is to see whether I would actually enjoy a career in teaching, or whether I need a new life plan. Either way, I hope to be able to come to a decision as to whether to apply for a PGCE or start thinking about a different career, as well as earning some extra money to spend over the summer.
I entered the world of work through an internship after graduating, which also gave me the opportunity to intern with a bigger company based in London.
I learnt an awful lot from the experience, I didn't like how faceless and anti social the large London company was. People didn't talk and went home as soon as the minute hand hit the hour. At the small company it was the complete opposite, and I loved it.
Of course every company has a different approach and ethos, but without having done the internship I would never had known.

Much like work experience back in school and as Smack mentioned above, I got great insight into the industry and roles available.

From my experience I can see how there can easily be people that rave about them, others that won't have had so much benefit other than CV fodder. If I could give one bit of advice, it would be to make work for yourself - find what you enjoy and take it further, use your own ideas and challenge the approach if you have fresh ideas. It'll impress people and you never know, you might get a job offer from it :wink:
I did a placement in a nursery as part of my childcare HNC. Started there last october, and they gave me a job in march :smile:
That meant my placement stopped and turned into work; I was delighted, because it gives me real experience of working in the childcare sector, not just the parts students are allowed to do. It also gives me a third job to work over the summer, more pennies!

It's made me realise I do enjoy working with children, but couldn't do it longterm; which is why I'm doing a tourism degree after the summer :smile:
Reply 5
I'm currently in the process of being interviewed for an unpaid internship as a front-end web designer for a startup and I hope to say, if I get it and once it's over, that it's helped.
My internships (placements) are required as part of my degree, so far I've done 6 months in Dubai and I've just hit my 3-month anniversary of a 6 month placement in Leicester. I've found them incredibly useful, even though I don't feel like I've been learning specific things you soak up so much, which you can apply to your work when you return to uni.

I've tried to influence my placement choices so that I cover specific bases each time, so my first placement was aimed at making a splash and getting my portfolio boosted (at the expense of a lower salary), this second one has been aimed at learning the nuts and bolts of the profession, and making sure I understand the more mundane things like planning approval, tender packages and so on, less about sexy images and exciting designs. Then I'm hoping to get a placement which will be my entry employer, so somewhere that's quite forward-thinking, creative, exciting projects and so on, probably in London or abroad where I can start to exercise my own design muscles and work my way into a rewarding job that sits inbetween my previous two placements :smile:
Original post by Architecture-er
My internships (placements) are required as part of my degree, so far I've done 6 months in Dubai and I've just hit my 3-month anniversary of a 6 month placement in Leicester. I've found them incredibly useful, even though I don't feel like I've been learning specific things you soak up so much, which you can apply to your work when you return to uni.

I've tried to influence my placement choices so that I cover specific bases each time, so my first placement was aimed at making a splash and getting my portfolio boosted (at the expense of a lower salary), this second one has been aimed at learning the nuts and bolts of the profession, and making sure I understand the more mundane things like planning approval, tender packages and so on, less about sexy images and exciting designs. Then I'm hoping to get a placement which will be my entry employer, so somewhere that's quite forward-thinking, creative, exciting projects and so on, probably in London or abroad where I can start to exercise my own design muscles and work my way into a rewarding job that sits inbetween my previous two placements :smile:

They sound really good- out of interest were the Dubai and Leicester placements actively looking for 'year in industry' students or did you get them through cold-emailing/ another method?
Did a 6 month placement at a professional services accountancy firm in London during my gap year. Great introduction into the corporate world, and I can honestly say that I have developed my skills through this (I'm not just regurgitating rubbish haha).

Also met some great people as well, and the fact that I've got an internship under my belt makes it easier for me to get more in related areas I think.

The money was nice and due to the nature of the job I got to travel quite a lot around London/ southern England and work with different clients etc.
I was recruited through a work placement.. Although it was only a week or two long so it was more of an extended interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
In total I had 4 of them but they were short (more like work experience). The very first one was in an archive department which was a complete waste of time but the staff were lovely. The second one was translating brief descriptions of various projects, applications from my native language into English for municipality's website for foreign investors etc. This was an excellent experience :h:

My third one was at Freight transportation company where at the end of it I was even paid for. It was also useful and the company's director seemed friendly person as well as the staff :h: And last one was again translation but of a complex academic material which was good experience but very tiring and time consuming which I wouldn't like to do again in the future.

I wish it was one at the same place so that my CV won't look odd with all the different experience :K:
Reply 11
I left school at 16, nearly 17, and wasn't ready to go to uni. At the time my logic was all of first year not able to drink but on reflection I needed the year to grow up. I did what was effectively an internship though not called that. It was £10 more than the dole rate at the time plus travel expenses. I learned more than i could have imagined and it is without a doubt the reason I had decent jobs all through uni.

Now I have graduated and I am once again doing an internship in all but name. Minimum wage this time. I didn't want to do another but job market and all that. I've learned a bit and it will add to my CV a bit but nowhere near the benefit of the first once. Because of that I much more begrudge the awful pay- they are getting much more than minimum wage's worth of work out of me, a fair market rate would be about £4k more a year.

I think they are hugely beneficial for those who have no work experience. But I also think it is somewhat foolish to not do all you can to make sure you don't graduate with no (vaguely relevant) work experience. There is also an issue with companies (and charities) using it as way to take advantage of the job market and get good value for their money in terms of skills offered by the interns which is effectively taking advantage of people.
Without my summer internship, I wouldn't be working for a Big 4 in September.
Original post by Tomatochuckers
They sound really good- out of interest were the Dubai and Leicester placements actively looking for 'year in industry' students or did you get them through cold-emailing/ another method?

They were in a position to hire people, but I approached them on my own. So many people are looking for placements these days, if you only go for advertised positions you just get swallowed up in the heaving masses. It was a combination of cold-calling asking for HR, sending in a portfolio & CV, then following up a couple of weeks later with another phone call asking if they'd had a look, etc etc
Reply 14
Original post by Roronoa
Without my summer internship, I wouldn't be working for a Big 4 in September.

That is great, obviously if your one of the few lucky ones who can get through all the stages. Like any of these glorious internships, they pretty much set you up. For the majority of us, there pretty much out of reach, its pretty much a lottery and numbers game
Original post by Checkpoint
That is great, obviously if your one of the few lucky ones who can get through all the stages. Like any of these glorious internships, they pretty much set you up. For the majority of us, there pretty much out of reach, its pretty much a lottery and numbers game

My internship wasn't with a Big 4. It was voluntary, for a charity, and involved a rotation in accounts which I leveraged in all my applications, and in my interviews. So I had to go through every stage of each graduate application. And it isn't a lottery. It is very much dependent on your skill and performance at tests, interviews and assessment centres. Luck plays a part, but a small one.

Seriously though - I wouldn't have been able to demonstrate my motivation or understanding of accounting had it not been for this internship (my background is in engineering).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I am still on an internship at the moment - I was lucky enough to get a 6 month placement at an Company in Beijing on my gap year. I can tell you now already that the experience has been invaluable. I don't think I can even list all the things I will take from this internship - learning about office politics, project management and organization.
However, the amount you learn greatly depends on your boss or mentor. In my case I was extremely lucky to get one that trusts me to do a lot of independent work on projects that give me insights into just about every department of the company. At the same company, another intern is bored to death every day because her boss only gives her a few day to day task that fills up about an hour of every 8 hour working day.
What goes for payment: I wasn't really to fuzed about not getting paid since accomodation is provided and I'm lucky to have gotten accepted since I haven't started my undergrad studies yet. Another company offered me 3000RMB (~300pounds) without accomodation which would've probably come down to the same unless I moved in with a friend. I'm happy as things are now though and would do it again anyday.
Alright, I better get back to work now, I'll try to post some more details later :biggrin:
I did a summer internship between 3rd and 4th year for a small start up company in the local area. I had tried to get internships with the big guns like IBM and so, but didn't get far. Anyway, my intern was a voluntary and unpaid intern to develop a cloud based shopping website. Main motivation for doing it was just to get exposure in a business/development environment and it also contributed to my degree. I learned a lot from it just by working in a small team of about 8 people including 2 top employees from NCR.

I would say an intern is worth doing regardless where you go. Employers these days are always looking for people with experience. Also, it show motivation to do something constructive and meaningful, especially in the summer holidays where it's long and can be boring if you don't have things planned. After graduating, it didn't take me long to find a job either.
I'm currently doing an 8-week paid research internship, then a one-week expenses paid internship with 'The Search Engine' so I'll come back and let you know!
I'm currently doing an internship, and it is so so so boring.
They give me £200 a week and expect very little in return.
I can turn up when I want, drink as much coffee as I feel like, and go home when I want to.
There's no set agenda for what I have to do: it's extremely open-ended.

I get the feeling that most internships aren't like this though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending