The Student Room Group

Chances of getting internship at investment bank

Hi guys I am interested in working for one of investment banks at city or CW and what is your opinion of getting internship for me. I will just write the key facts about myself.
I am not UK citizen and grew up in EU country I graduated from high school at my country with exam results which put me in top 0.3% of all graduating class at my country.
Currently I am studying Finance at Strathclyde UNI though it is not Oxbridge or LSE our finance department has amazing reputation and was ranked in top 4 in UK for last 5 years and our uni was named University of the year in UK 2012. I am expecting to graduate with 1:1 degree.
I think thats all about education now extracurricular activities:
I am president of one society at my uni as well I think of starting another one. I am organizing Scottish Student Business Conference as this year it will be held at Strathclyde and Edinburgh Universities. I was Basketball school team captain. I am member of Enactus project at my Uni and have so other ideas on different projects.
Experience:
Currently having 2 internships one with small consulting company at my country another with British Embassy working at finance and Investment department.
By the way our uni is target uni for Morgan Stanley but I am talking about other banks as well like Barclays Cap, GS, Deutche bank and others. Also I am fluent in 4 languages ( not sure is that important but for application they have section about languages) and now learning 2 more.
So how do you think what are my chances to get internship next summer at one of bb?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You havent helped relieve poverty in Ouganda or saved lives during the last tsunami? If not it will be hard (around 17.34% chances of being made an offer). If you found two more societies, get CFA level 1 and learn Chinese your chances would jump to 28.91%.

A master in International Innovation Business Management for Applied Ethics from Herriot Watt university would also help. Although not Oxbridge, it was ranked #1 in student satisfaction by the guardian in 1997 and is actively targeted by Warren Buffet.
Reply 2
Hola OP,

Frenchous speaks truth, I vouch for his answer.
Frenchous did work experience last year at Goldman Sach's recruitment team so if you need anything else just inbox him and I'm sure he'll provide you with very helpful information from respectable sources.

I also heard he has connections with the African Union Commission so if you ever wish to volunteer for a 6 months charity work in those developing countries to enhance your CV he should be able to sort you a place
Reply 4
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
Frenchous did work experience last year at Goldman Sach's recruitment team so if you need anything else just inbox him and I'm sure he'll provide you with very helpful information from respectable sources.

I also heard he has connections with the African Union Commission so if you ever wish to volunteer for a 6 months charity work in those developing countries to enhance your CV he should be able to sort you a place

You're not even at college, so stfu.

Original post by Frenchous
You havent helped relieve poverty in Ouganda or saved lives during the last tsunami? If not it will be hard (around 17.34% chances of being made an offer). If you found two more societies, get CFA level 1 and learn Chinese your chances would jump to 28.91%.

A master in International Innovation Business Management for Applied Ethics from Herriot Watt university would also help. Although not Oxbridge, it was ranked #1 in student satisfaction by the guardian in 1997 and is actively targeted by Warren Buffet.

Funny... thing is people actually do these things: http://www.joycemeng.com/joycemengresume.pdf
Reply 5
Original post by SonnyZH

Funny... thing is people actually do these things: http://www.joycemeng.com/joycemengresume.pdf

I had a good laugh when I read it then another one when I googled her for pictures
I had a good laugh when I read it then another one when I googled her for pictures

There are some crazyyy people out there LMAO!

"Raised >$300,000, registered 2,740+ donors, formed partnerships with 46+ grassroots organizations, assisted ~2,800 students in 26+ countries, and
partnered with the M. Night Shyamalan Foundation. Givology has 16 chapters worldwide and over 90+ volunteers"

-All this to get a job at a rasssclaarrt bank FFS lool

"Founded a microbusiness incubator for street youth in Lagos"

-I'm suprised she didn't build shelters for them to live in too

"Used econometrics to evaluate a financial literacy campaign in Malawi"

-Aww ain't that nice

Not gonna lie her CV is impressive, she's book smarty but she's street dumb. With all those achievements she shouldn't be looking to apply for short-term jobs, she's got potential to create a multimillion business since she's already created quite a few successful small ones

That google picture was funny tho
Reply 7

"Raised >$300,000, registered 2,740+ donors, formed partnerships with 46+ grassroots organizations, assisted ~2,800 students in 26+ countries, and
partnered with the M. Night Shyamalan Foundation. Givology has 16 chapters worldwide and over 90+ volunteers"

-Aww ain't that nice

Not gonna lie her CV is impressive, she's book smarty but she's street dumb. With all those achievements she shouldn't be looking to apply for short-term jobs, she's got potential to create a multimillion business since she's already created quite a few successful small ones

I take it you have achieved more then?
Reply 8
Hey guys thanks for replies and comments really appreciate this, but don't really get why exactly volunteering in some African countries will higher my chances of getting internship at Ibanks? I think there are more extra curriculum activities which are more connected to Ibanking than volunteering in Africa?
Original post by DariusGudas
Hey guys thanks for replies and comments really appreciate this, but don't really get why exactly volunteering in some African countries will higher my chances of getting internship at Ibanks? I think there are more extra curriculum activities which are more connected to Ibanking than volunteering in Africa?

Bank managers are rich and if you can volunteer in Africa there you're guaranteed a job interview.

Rich people love African kids...

Exibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Exhibit D

All you need to do is inbox Frenchous, he'll get you on a trip to Kenya in August for some volunteer work.
There are many things you can do, If you can get someone to get a picture of yourself building a shelter and then take that picture to a job interview you've pretty much got the job! trust me

x

Frenchous tell OP more about your work experience at goldman sachs recruitment team and how they love shelter building in Africa
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks man, but none of these people is investment banker :smile: Ohh by the way forgot to mention I am taking part in Enactus project and i think we will work on some project for Malawi. As well I don't mind volunteering in Africa, but taking gap year at uni is really last thing I want to do.
X

Sure I can provide more insights on the recruitment process.

First off I would like to thank OP for showing interest in the wide range of programs we offer to graduates worldwide.

At Goldman Sachs we are proud of our tailor made recruitment process. We are not looking for standard qualities in applicants (such as a first from a top 6 uni and some previous work experience in finance) but rather we acknowledge that every applicant is different and should be judged on his or her or its (for transexuals now representing 14.2% of our graduate intake) merits.

We embrace diversity because our clients are diverse and therefore we need a diverse workforce to serve them (Q.E.D). As such we encourage applications from unpriviledged backgrounds, deviant sexualities and all sorts of countries most people cant locate on a world map.

We are particularly keen on recruiting people who built shelters or offered microcredit in Africa during the summer following their A-levels because it shows a genuine interest in making the world a better place. At Goldman Sachs we share this interest as evidenced by our program 50.000 women in business.

Maria from the Bronx is one of the womens who benefited from the scheme. Here is what she has to say: "I found the people at Goldman Sachs incredibly helpful, open minded and benevolent. I could have never realised my dream without them and all the help they gave me to overcome the many challenges that awaited me on my path.

For more information on our programmes, please refer to our graduate website.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DariusGudas
Thanks man, but none of these people is investment banker :smile: Ohh by the way forgot to mention I am taking part in Enactus project and i think we will work on some project for Malawi. As well I don't mind volunteering in Africa, but taking gap year at uni is really last thing I want to do.

Stop wasting your time with people who are clearly not willing to help you and contact alumni, read about the application process etc.
Reply 13

-Aww ain't that nice

Broo, you're doing your A-levels. You've asked if your grades cut it for IB. YET, you're here, criticizing a person who doesn't have the need to slave through the job you want because she did it in a summer and absolutely killed it. She manages several non-profits and now works in the buyside.

1. Be humble.
2. Learn from others.
3. Shut.The.****.Up.BROO.
Reply 14
Original post by SonnyZH
Broo, you're doing your A-levels. You've asked if your grades cut it for IB. YET, you're here, criticizing a person who doesn't have the need to slave through the job you want because she did it in a summer and absolutely killed it. She manages several non-profits and now works in the buyside.

1. Be humble.
2. Learn from others.

Its hard to argue with the fact that she is ugleh and tries to compensate her lack of a meaningful social life with being a nerd though.

And, yes, being ugleh is a major setback in any circumstance.
lol someone should get CoolStoryBroo some mayo to help him toss Frenchous's salad.
Original post by SonnyZH

1. Be humble.
2. Learn from others.

Original post by Cutmeloose
lol someone should get CoolStoryBroo some mayo to help him toss Frenchous's salad.

Reply 17
It would help so much if you just stated what ****ing uni you go to instead of creating a riddle
Original post by yaboy
It would help so much if you just stated what ****ing uni you go to instead of creating a riddle

"Currently I am studying Finance at Strathclyde UNI"

C'mon son it's 2am you're loosing it, I think it's time you went to bed lol
Reply 19
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Stop wasting your time with people who are clearly not willing to help you and contact alumni, read about the application process etc.

Man alumni are not really great I tried to contact GS and then they just replied with some **** which was totally useless and not regarding to my questions at all. Anyway I just wonder what do other think about my chances getting internship at one of those banks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending