The Student Room Group

Is psychology worth it?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a psychology lecturer, and I second everything that sinatrafan writes. Her post is full of great advice. I would recommend the British Psychological Society website for more info: http://careers.bps.org.uk/

At my uni (an ex-poly), the vast majority of our psych graduates will not do jobs in psychology or that require a psych degree. And that is OK, as long as they know that from the start. Psychology still gives lots of transferable skills, especially quantitative skills and statistics, which are well respected, although not as much as the harder sciences. But most of those students who come here thinking they will be professional psychologists are probably kidding themselves.

If my kids wanted to study psychology to be a psychologist when they grow up, I would encourage them if only if they were applying to a top uni (Russel Group or that level). Otherwise, they will probably be out competed.
Reply 41
Thank you, so would glasgow uni be good for psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megannicollx
I've been considering doing psychology at uni, but I've seen things saying there's no point as you won't get a job, is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In an ideal world, people would study a subject because they love it, not because of it's career prospects.

Be careful of what things you read, though, because tonnes of people with psychology degrees have great jobs too!

If you wanted to go into counselling psychology or something like that, then studying psychology is the best move. After your degree you would have to still do further training, and that is competitive, but if you really want it, you can probably get it.
Thank you, so would glasgow uni be good for psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's in the Russell Group, so generally well respected.
Reply 44
Thanks everyone:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I have an honours degree in psychology and can testify to the lack of jobs. However psychology also makes you employable in other areas such as care support, marketing, advertising etc. so even if those aren't your ideal job it gives you something to do in the meantime while you wait for a relevant job/postgrad course to come up. Or while you do work experience in a relevant area :smile:

You do just have to bear in mind that with psychology, unlike other professions, an undergrad degree is just the beginning. This will not allow you to work as a psychologist. Once you do an extra year at masters level you can be a research fellow and other roles at that level. To be a psychologist though you must complete your phd. So be prepared to spend a lot of time (and money) to achieve your goal.

And that's where it pays off as all those undergrad psychology students who were not prepared or motivated to do the additional work are whittled out and you who worked hard can take advantage of the opportunities. Good Luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paradoxicalme
Psychology is the most popular degree at the moment, so jobs are pretty scarce - at least in the psych field - for psychology graduates. You could consider doing a joint honours. I'm considering English and Psychology/English and Philosophy (as joint honours - considering single honours too) for entry into journalism. And it also depends on the uni. Psychology at KCL will have better job prospects that Psychology at Bangor.

There actually isn't a straight undergraduate psychology course at KCL, so I think Bangor wins that round. :tongue:
Original post by Jackal The
There actually isn't a straight undergraduate psychology course at KCL, so I think Bangor wins that round. :tongue:

Really? Haha fair enough :tongue:
Clinical psych is so competitive, but some uni's offer courses specifically for clinical psychology. If you do straight psychology you will spend very little of your time doing clinical psychology, that's not what psychology is. You'll do biology, animal behaviour, evolution, language, aggression, statistics, influence, etc. etc.

I've seen a lot of people be like 'I want to do psychology because I want to be a psychiatrist" it doesn't really work like that, because it's not a psychiatry course. It's a lot more about the research rather than learning how to cure people. Unfortunately it's a common misconception.

Just going into my second year of psychology at Exeter, so if you have any questions I can help :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by LouiseOrd
Clinical psych is so competitive, but some uni's offer courses specifically for clinical psychology. If you do straight psychology you will spend very little of your time doing clinical psychology, that's not what psychology is. You'll do biology, animal behaviour, evolution, language, aggression, statistics, influence, etc. etc.

I've seen a lot of people be like 'I want to do psychology because I want to be a psychiatrist" it doesn't really work like that, because it's not a psychiatry course. It's a lot more about the research rather than learning how to cure people. Unfortunately it's a common misconception.

Just going into my second year of psychology at Exeter, so if you have any questions I can help :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to do counselling psychology, not clinical psychology, but thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd like to do counselling psychology, not clinical psychology, but thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not going to get into counselling with any other form of Psychology. Maybe personality and individual differences, but that'd be covered in Clinical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by chazwomaq
I'm a psychology lecturer, and I second everything that sinatrafan writes. Her post is full of great advice. I would recommend the British Psychological Society website for more info: http://careers.bps.org.uk/

At my uni (an ex-poly), the vast majority of our psych graduates will not do jobs in psychology or that require a psych degree. And that is OK, as long as they know that from the start. Psychology still gives lots of transferable skills, especially quantitative skills and statistics, which are well respected, although not as much as the harder sciences. But most of those students who come here thinking they will be professional psychologists are probably kidding themselves.

If my kids wanted to study psychology to be a psychologist when they grow up, I would encourage them if only if they were applying to a top uni (Russel Group or that level). Otherwise, they will probably be out competed.

Where do you teach?
Reply 52
Original post by LouiseOrd

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you planning to do after you are done with your degree?
Reply 53
Original post by michaeljames12
Pointless degree. No jobs.

Most graduates from fields other than psychology are also struggling to get jobs.
Reply 54
Psychology at KCL will have better job prospects that Psychology at Bangor.

KCL doesn't offer an undergraduate Psychology course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
I've been considering doing psychology at uni, but I've seen things saying there's no point as you won't get a job, is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally speaking Psychology is a traditional, respected subject. Degrees in general will not prepare you to get a job alone. Extra-curricular activities and work experience is what will help you to distinguish yourself from other graduates when applying for a job. So if you find Psychology interesting, then go for it.
You've probably decided on what to do, but I thought I'd just offer my experience.

For 3 years, I wanted to do Psychology. I thought I was certain. However, the problem is that in order to get a Psychology job, you need more than just your degree. I know a lot of people who studied Psychology at university, but because they didn't get the top class honours, they could not get into Psychology. Instead, they have gone onto teaching and social work. The course does however give you transferable skills, so it isn't a waste of time by any means - it is just that the degree does not lead you straight into Psychology.

As much as I loved the subject, I decided to change my course. I've always been better suited to English, and that is where my true love lies. If you are passionate about Psychology, but all means do a degree in it, but you need to be prepared for postgraduate studies if you want to actually become a Clinical Psychologist. These jobs are rare and extremely competitive, but if it's what you want to do, don't let anybody stop you.
Reply 57
It offers both qualative and quantitive components, and as such, a varied skillset - not just essay writing or numeracy. All courses are virtually accreditted by the BPS (British Psychological Society) and as such have the same modules for years 1 and 2. Year 3 is what matters seeing as it's 66% of your degree, and year 3 is decided by the university, not the BPS. So ignore people who will tell you 'all courses are regulated by the BPS so it doesn't matter where you do your degree'. It does matter. I firmed Nottingham because it was where MRI scanning was discovered and developed, and as such, excels in Cognitive Psychology. Other universities have different specs depending on their research interests: UCL are very linguistical, Manchester are very biological. You need to decide which area you are most interested in because where you go will have a very large impact on that.

The market is saturated and be under no illusion that even a 2:1 from a high-end uni will help you get a job. Get work experience in every field you can: 1/2 weeks placements, open days, internships. Without it you will not survive in this job market.

Basically: Psychology is incredibly broad. This has it's positives and negatives. It offers a lot of transferable skills, but that's not enough. There's too many graduates. Get the experience and check up on third year modules at universities to see what interests you (the branches of psychology include: cognitive, biological, social, developmental, forensic, educational).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dpdr
KCL doesn't offer an undergraduate Psychology course.

I meant as a theoretical rule - course A at KCL will in general be better than course A at Bangor - but thank you for pointing out my cardinal sin :rolleyes:
Reply 59
I meant as a theoretical rule - course A at KCL will in general be better than course A at Bangor - but thank you for pointing out my cardinal sin :rolleyes:

Haha it's cool, you're correct in theory. I only know because I applied for Psychology and wanted to apply to Kings then found out it was non-existent! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending