The Student Room Group

Making friends in second year?

I've made no friends after the 1st year of uni.
I spent most of the 1st semester freaking out over the new environment and then lost motivation to socialize in second semester.

Is it possible to make friends in second year? I'm probably not going to go to any of the freshers events (not a massive drinker) but i've got some societies i'm going to join, so i think i'll be alright making friends off my course.

What about people on my course? I have a bunch of acquaintances but thats it, i'm not sure how to kinda push the relationship onto being actual friends.

Reply 1
Original post by radiator0505
I spent most of the 1st semester freaking out over the new environment and then lost motivation to socialize in second semester.

Is it possible to make friends in second year? I'm probably not going to go to any of the freshers events (not a massive drinker) but i've got some societies i'm going to join, so i think i'll be alright making friends off my course.

What about people on my course? I have a bunch of acquaintances but thats it, i'm not sure how to kinda push the relationship onto being actual friends.

You can make friends in any year. You'll make a lot of friends in societies! You can still make friends in your course however it might be a bit harder since a lot of them would have already made friends in the first year and will probably stick to that group.

Does your uni not do any fresher events that are for none drinkers?
Reply 2

I made most of my mates at Uni during the second year. You should defiantly join the societies and try to build some more significant bridges with course-mates, volunteering to help them with a problem you understand (or asking for help!) is a great way.

Just don't worry too much, silly thing to say I know; but its the truth
Reply 3
Original post by TLK
Does your uni not do any fresher events that are for none drinkers?

Does yours? Honestly not heard of that. Then again, I may have just missed 'em.
Reply 4
Original post by PhyBioChem
Does yours? Honestly not heard of that. Then again, I may have just missed 'em.

Yes, they held movie nights, game night, treasure hunt and I think one of them was going Blackpool. They had one every day for freshers.
Reply 5
I'm sorry if it's been making you feel lonely :frown: Have you got second year accommodation sorted?

I think you'd be able to make friends in any year, really, especially because you said you'd join societies.

As for course-mates, that's kind of how I feel, so I can't really offer you any opinion about that.

Good luck (:
With me, it felt like I tried so hard in the first 4 weeks and made just 1 friend (who is my closest now), but gave up for 2 months after that. And now in the last 2-3 weeks so many people from my course have come upto me and wanted to exchange numbers etc.! Out of the blue! My point is, don't give up!

Just offer to do group study sessions, hang out after lectures, check out a new event together, or anything else, to make it easier to build bridges with coursemates...and societies should help (I haven't gone down that route yet)...good luck :smile:
Reply 7

see if they want to meet up for a drink/coffee outside of lecture times. and if you go into a seminar and there is someone who doesn't know anyone else in the group (still possible in 2nd year) then get chatting to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending