The Student Room Group

Geography applicants 2014

Hello everyone!:awesome:

So who is applying for Geography this year? :smile: Would be interesting to learn about other people's chosen unis as I'm still undecided :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I will be hopefully applying!!
I am looking at a few-Nottingham, Bristol, Royal Holloway, Kings
I have also booked some open days.
Yay Geography post!

Exeter's my favourite at the moment, I went to the open day on Tuesday and loved it so much that I'm now considering two courses there!

I'm also looking at Bristol, Lancaster, Southampton, and possibly Sussex, and I'm going to their open days as well as a taster course for Geography and the Environment at the London School of Economics (LSE) in July.
Original post by simibean
Hey, I will be hopefully applying!!
I am looking at a few-Nottingham, Bristol, Royal Holloway, Kings
I have also booked some open days.

I went to a taster course at Kings, their course is awesome. Both the physical and human departments were really strong there. You can also combine Geography at Kings with another subject at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), which might be of interest to you as well :smile:
Thinking about Southampton, Cardiff (although they only do human :/), Loughborough, UCL & Bristol but these two are probably a bit out of my grade range (AAB) haha :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by megantrace
I went to a taster course at Kings, their course is awesome. Both the physical and human departments were really strong there. You can also combine Geography at Kings with another subject at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), which might be of interest to you as well :smile:

I went to a taster course there aswell!! Are you looking at physical or human geography? To be honest I am not really interested in combining geography with another course, it is great by itself :smile:
Reply 6
I'm thinking about Lancaster, Newcastle, Leichester, Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'll hopefully be doing Geography.
At the moment I'm looking at Royal Holloway, Sheffield, Queen Mary's and Brighton.
Original post by simibean
I went to a taster course there aswell!! Are you looking at physical or human geography? To be honest I am not really interested in combining geography with another course, it is great by itself :smile:

Human, which I'd probably combine with Politics. King's course was nice, but not for me, mainly because there's no accommodation to people who live within the M25 and I really want to move out!
I want to do Geography BA at either Sheffield, Birmingham or Leeds so far. Durham looks pretty cool also, but I don't think I'd get A*AA.

What're you doing for you Personal Statement?
Reply 10
Original post by megantrace
Yay Geography post!

Exeter's my favourite at the moment, I went to the open day on Tuesday and loved it so much that I'm now considering two courses there!

I'm also looking at Bristol, Lancaster, Southampton, and possibly Sussex, and I'm going to their open days as well as a taster course for Geography and the Environment at the London School of Economics (LSE) in July.

I went to Exeter on the tuesday open day as well! it was soo nice, i spoke to a few girls doing geography there and they said they loved it so its really made me want to go there! although i was debating going to the cornwall campus.
My sister does geography at sussex uni and shes just going into her third year and really likes it, but im not too sure on going there on the basis that she already goes there so i wanted to be a bit different and its too close to home :tongue: i have stayed there several times and the campus seems lovely though.
What have you taken for AS??
Original post by charrey
I went to Exeter on the tuesday open day as well! it was soo nice, i spoke to a few girls doing geography there and they said they loved it so its really made me want to go there! although i was debating going to the cornwall campus.
My sister does geography at sussex uni and shes just going into her third year and really likes it, but im not too sure on going there on the basis that she already goes there so i wanted to be a bit different and its too close to home :tongue: i have stayed there several times and the campus seems lovely though.
What have you taken for AS??

I absolutely loved it. I'm considering applying for Streatham and Cornwall campuses and then, if I get offers from both, firming one and putting the other as insurance to guarantee I go there, haha!

I totally understand the whole thing about Sussex. It's a lot more exciting to get further away from home and away from family to truly live the independent uni lifestyle.

I've taken Geography, Politics and Economics. I used to do Chemistry as well but dropped it early in the year.
Reply 12
Yay, hi geographers! I'm looking at Cambridge, Leeds, Exeter and Sheffield (been to last three's open days, loved all of them) and a fifth that has lower requirements... possibly Aberystwyth.
Only problem I'm having at the moment is choosing between BA or BSc... I know lots of courses let you chop and change modules, but I still want to choose the 'right' course. My A-levels are all arts/social sciences, and though I like geography as a whole, I'm more interested in the physical side. Eek! :confused:
I'll stop rambling now. :colondollar:
Traditionally BSc is more physical and BA is more human. As you enjoy the physical aspect more I'd suggest applying for BSc. If not have a look at the course modules for each uni!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Paramore<3
Yay, hi geographers! I'm looking at Cambridge, Leeds, Exeter and Sheffield (been to last three's open days, loved all of them) and a fifth that has lower requirements... possibly Aberystwyth.
Only problem I'm having at the moment is choosing between BA or BSc... I know lots of courses let you chop and change modules, but I still want to choose the 'right' course. My A-levels are all arts/social sciences, and though I like geography as a whole, I'm more interested in the physical side. Eek! :confused:
I'll stop rambling now. :colondollar:

at most of the unis ive been to they have said that you basically dont have to decide whether you want to do physical or human until the second year, so if you dont know what one you would 100% prefer then just put the physical to begin with then if you decide later on that you want to do human you can change to a BA, or atleast i think you can because my sister started as a BA when she applied then changed to a Bsc in second year so im just going by that :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by AlanAlty
Traditionally BSc is more physical and BA is more human. As you enjoy the physical aspect more I'd suggest applying for BSc. If not have a look at the course modules for each uni!

Original post by charrey
at most of the unis ive been to they have said that you basically dont have to decide whether you want to do physical or human until the second year, so if you dont know what one you would 100% prefer then just put the physical to begin with then if you decide later on that you want to do human you can change to a BA, or atleast i think you can because my sister started as a BA when she applied then changed to a Bsc in second year so im just going by that :tongue:

Thanks both! I think I will start off applying for the BSc, hopefully there won't be too much A-level science/maths knowledge required that I won't be able to brush up on - I suppose that's where checking out the modules will come in. Yep, all the unis I've been to say that you can swap at the start of the second year. Should pan out ok, I wouldn't particularly mind either way. :colondollar:
Hey I've been looking into Exeter for geography. Anyone else?! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by HannahBanana1995
Hey I've been looking into Exeter for geography. Anyone else?! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too :smile:
Also anyone know much about aberystwyth or bangor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by HannahBanana1995
Also anyone know much about aberystwyth or bangor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i've looked at aber and i think i'll put it down as they only ask for 300(?) points which I think is BBB. They also have a pretty comprehensive scholarship scheme which is always a plus! And I love the idea of being in Wales. :love: Haven't managed to visit though, it's quite awkward to get to...
You considering them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply