The Student Room Group

US to arm Syrian rebels - right or wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qwertish
This is a tough one. Middle Eastern foreign policy is always difficult...

On the one hand, you don't want to stand by and watch while Syria tears itself apart with chemical weapons, from either side. And you definitely don't want to hang around and let a group like Hezbollah not only get involved, but curry favour with Assad and help him to win.

On the other hand, giving weapons to them will come back to bite us. Queue flashbacks of the first Gulf War when America and Britain channelled arms to the Taliban only for them to use the same guns against us. There's been a long history of Western intervention in the Middle East, and most of it has made things worse.

Of course, the only reason we care (as in, our Governments) is because of oil :rolleyes:

Westerners shouldn't get involved. The US don't know who their arming, the Syrian rebels aren't a unified group, Its comprised of regional militias who all have different agenda's. There are some very radical fundamentalist Islamic groups within the rebel force who want an Islamic state. There will be conflict after Assad is gone like there is in Libya, the thing is no gives a toss about what goes on in Libya any more because the boggy man Gaddafi is dead
Original post by Apocrypha
I doubt there will be no fly zones and bombings. Firstly, Russia and China would most likely oppose both of those things, secondly, do not underestimate the power of the Syrian Army, its a united army, unlike the Libyan army.

Whats pathetic is that the USA is making many cuts at home, ultimately to fund an invasion of a foreign land.

Secondly, I repeat again Israel prefers Assad over the rebels. because its a 'Devil they know'

I don't think that's true at all. Assad is the devil they know, but he's the devil that allows Hezbollah a corridor for weapons transfers. The opposition would be akin to the Gulf states, i.e., on-side.

Frankly, from the point of view of the US and Israel, this is an unmissable opportunity. If they topple Syria, they can cripple Hezbollah, then Iran can be worked on. If there is regime change in Iran, it's game over - Israel will have won the long struggle for survival.
Reply 42
The real war will happen once Assad falls, that's when the snakes will come out. May the Mujahideen be victorious in Ash Sham.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
The real war will happen once Assad falls, that's when the snakes will come out. May the Mujahideen be victorious in Ash Sham.

The winner of that war will be whoever the US chooses.
Original post by sevchenko
Westerners shouldn't get involved. The US don't know who their arming, the Syrian rebels aren't a unified group, Its comprised of regional militias who all have different agenda's. There are some very radical fundamentalist Islamic groups within the rebel force who want an Islamic state. There will be conflict after Assad is gone like there is in Libya, the thing is no gives a toss about what goes on in Libya any more because the boggy man Gaddafi is dead

Libya is still much better off now than it was under Gaddafi and he wasn't just some made-up 'bogeyman', he was bent on slaughtering very large numbers of his own people before he was eliminated.

Your arguments are typical of the Moscow line, which is to turn a blind eye to dictatorships, no matter how cruel, if they appear to be anti-American. It's an absurd position and it reminds us that whilst the US has tried to move beyond the cold war era, when it did the same thing, Moscow remains firmly stuck in the 1970s.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Libya is still much better off now than it was under Gaddafi and he wasn't just some made-up 'bogeyman', he was bent on slaughtering very large numbers of his own people before he was eliminated.

Your arguments are typical of the Moscow line, which is to turn a blind eye to dictatorships, no matter how cruel, if they appear to be anti-American. It's an absurd position and it reminds us that whilst the US has tried to move beyond the cold war era, when it did the same thing, Moscow remains firmly stuck in the 1970s.

we dont want you in our lands though, my dad came over from the middle east to work here and whilst i was born here i dont feel at all supportive of your goverment. You guys should realize that its not your business and you are just making people hate you even if you do the right thing. I dont come into your house and tell you how to act do i, just leave us alone you western colonizers
Reply 46
None of Americas business, why do they have to get involved? (serious question)
Right. Will watch out for that.

you should , your goverment doesnt care about you, they just care about appeasing corporations that are spearhead by anti eastern colinizers
Reply 48
We need to be clear that the Assads have ruled Syria in the most cruel and despicable manner. Assad Snr murdered at least 10,000 people in Hama as recently as 1982. Torture and political murder have been the norm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Syria#Ba.27athist_Rule

The Baathists really are not a nice bunch.

That's his father. In general Bashar presidency was as brutal as his father and he showed signs of slight reform. Not to be justifying his atrocious actions or anything. Kings killed peasants and enemies and today Prime minister and Presidents do the same thing, not much changes in the world.
Original post by Swanbow
That's his father. In general Bashar presidency was as brutal as his father and he showed signs of slight reform. Not to be justifying his atrocious actions or anything. Kings killed peasants and enemies and today Prime minister and Presidents do the same thing, not much changes in the world.

Yes, I know it's his father, that's why I said "Assad Snr".

Looks like the son takes after him though, doesn't it.
Reply 50
Yes, I know it's his father, that's why I said "Assad Snr".

Looks like the son takes after him though, doesn't it.

Yeah I knew you meant his father, no worries.

Well as they say, like father like son. Even if Assad had the constitution re-written to allow a multi party democracy and stepped down I doubt it would stop the violence, its too entrenched, divided and bitter.
Reply 51
Original post by meenu89
This will quickly became a proxy war between Russia and USA. I'm not sure about this move.

Russia will definitely get involved, the last thing they want is another Arab country which is friendly toward the west.

Don't you mean war between Russia and USA/Israel?
Reply 52
What about living in Iraq right now, or El Salvador, or Bolivia, or Juarez, or Saudi Arabia, or Burma, or Bahrain, or Qatar, or Afghanistan. I would be alot more scared living in these countries than under Assad.

People get beheaded and dismembered on a daily basis in central and south America, the gangs their are more powerful than the governments, they run the country, but there is no call for western intervention to solve these issues.

Qatar? Saudi Arabia? Do you like listing out names of countries or are these genuinely part of this list?

What with all the propaganda aimed at Saudi Arabia, it's no surprise you hold such a view but I'm sure in general, individuals feel safer there than here in the Uk.

Back on topic, I hope the Americans don't arm Al Nussrah. They can arm the moderate groups of Fsa all they like but victory will go to those in favour of Islaam.
Reply 53
hello cold war all over again, this is nothing but a pissing match between russia and america [and a little bit of china] what the us is doing will kill thousandsa and blow up the region i will wager any amount of money on this, i can only hope they learn their lesson... preferebly from a syrian getting a balistic missile and dropping it on the pentagon where though dip****s come up with this tom foolery.
Original post by Reform
Qatar? Saudi Arabia? Do you like listing out names of countries or are these genuinely part of this list?

What with all the propaganda aimed at Saudi Arabia, it's no surprise you hold such a view but I'm sure in general, individuals feel safer there than here in the Uk.

Back on topic, I hope the Americans don't arm Al Nussrah. They can arm the moderate groups of Fsa all they like but victory will go to those in favour of Islaam.

Point is Qatar and Saudi Arabia fund Al Nusra, and are super oppressive countries. Bahrain had mass protests which were silently crushed by Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

What do you mean in favour of islam? Both sides are muslim, you mean victory for the Sunni's?
Reply 55
Point is Qatar and Saudi Arabia fund Al Nusra, and are super oppressive countries. Bahrain had mass protests which were silently crushed by Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

What do you mean in favour of islam? Both sides are muslim, you mean victory for the Sunni's?

So anyone who funds Al Nusrah is a 'baddie' ?

As for them being super oppressive, you're going to have to present your sources.

When I say in favour of Islaam, it is in reference to those who are fighting to establish Khilafa.

From what I know it is Al Nusra and some groups of the FSA who are fighting for this so I support them 100% .
Hmm...I think I see where this is going...

2013: US and Russia decide to make the war last as long as possible by arming opposite sides in their throwback to the cold war
2016: rebels eventually win the war thanks to western support
2017: 'elections' are held. They are not democratic and Islamists gain power. The West pretends they haven't noticed the rigged election out of embarrassment.
2020: things are bad in Syria so the government blames the meddling West for all problems in Syria
2030: a new uprising starts, the West has once again misplaced all its history books and thinks democracy is on its way. They back the new rebels in their war against the old rebels.
Reply 57
At the end of the day, both sides are responsible for the deaths but to an extent, argubaly, assad's regime are far more violent than the rebels. I don't support giving arms to groups but then also don't support dictatorial regimes.
Reply 58
It's one of those Catch-22 situations. Damned if we do and damned if we don't. An impossible decision to be made and one reason I don't envy politicians one iota.
Reply 59
Assad has already won the war pretty much, the clowns in Washington are just desperate now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending