The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hedgeman49
Bath also do social sciences and politics. Pretty well actually

And Essex do physics, but you would be mad to turn down a place to read politics at Essex in order to go to Bath and equally barking to turn down a place at Bath to do physics at Essex.

These are universities with strengths in particular fields. There is a huge difference between these universities and the likes of Manchester and Leeds and Edinburgh.

Bath aspires to be in the Russell Group and it is a realistic aspiration given the way in which the RG has broadened out, but five years ago, it wouldn't have stood a chance. The members would have said; we don't care about your quality. You don't look like any of us.
Pretty stupid if you ask me. The only point of this list is to give people who get in to these 'lower' universities a false sense of accomplishment. What's next, a list of the top 100 universities with an on-campus McDonalds?
Reply 22
Original post by nulli tertius
And Essex do physics, but you would be mad to turn down a place to read politics at Essex in order to go to Bath and equally barking to turn down a place at Bath to do physics at Essex.

Would you, though? :confused: The Guardian's politics league table puts Bath in 15th, with Essex in 27th, so it seems to me like Bath is the better university for it. I know that league tables can be pretty misleading, but I don't have anything else to go on. :colondollar: Correct me if you know better, which I'm assuming you do.
Will this actually be relevant to students or will this just be another useless table based on the amount and strength of research the Uni does as opposed to factors that will affect prospective undergrads.
Just a reminder that these rankings will be published at 9pm this evening, and that Phil Baty will be joining us to discuss them from 11am tomorrow.

Phil will be able to tackle all your questions about relevancy, methodology and all the key talking points from the new rankings.

You'll be able to find news about the rankings once they're announced on TSR and on the Times Higher Education rankings site: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/
Original post by Kathiye
Would you, though? :confused: The Guardian's politics league table puts Bath in 15th, with Essex in 27th, so it seems to me like Bath is the better university for it. I know that league tables can be pretty misleading, but I don't have anything else to go on. :colondollar: Correct me if you know better, which I'm assuming you do.

But if you look at the last (2008) Research Assessment Exercise, Essex was the top university for research in the subject in the country and Bath didn't even bother sending a team!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-politics-international-studies

It is no coincidence that the brand new school of government at Oxford is run out of University College whose master is the former VC of Essex.
Reply 26
But if you look at the last (2008) Research Assessment Exercise, Essex was the top university for research in the subject in the country and Bath didn't even bother sending a team!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-politics-international-studies

It is no coincidence that the brand new school of government at Oxford is run out of University College whose master is the former VC of Essex.

What do these rankings mean exactly? I honestly don't know. xD And how much does research contribute to how good a university is?
Reply 27
There won't be many British universities on it, because between the creation of Ulster in 1970 and 1992 only one university, Buckingham, was created in the UK, but other countries were creating universities.

That means it makes more sense to re-brand it as the ' top 100 after 60 ' meaning 1960, then at least its contents will be more consistent and the tables will have more practical use.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
To be a cynic, what does it matter?

Key questions I think are, not how these new ones fare against each other, but are they (as a whole) catching up to the old ones? And a second, do these newer ones have the reputation older ones have?

And finally, are they just trying to emulate the older ones, or are they adapting to changing times? In the sense that do they focus on issues (both research and teaching) that are relevant to today's world (think Cameron's new Longitude Challenge, solving problems that are key currently). Because this is important, if they lose out in ranking to older, more established unis, because they don't fare so well in subjects such as English, Classics, Philosophy (NB not saying these are unimportant) but they fare well in subjects such as biomechanics or computer science, then this would be an important piece of information (when looking and interpreting rankings).
Original post by Kathiye
What do these rankings mean exactly? I honestly don't know. xD And how much does research contribute to how good a university is?

These are rankings produced from the official government assessments of research quality which effectively determine where money is spent on research.

The relevance of research quality to the undergraduate experience is a debatable question. The leading universities all stress its paramount importance and ultimately it is research strength, rather than teaching quality that underpins all university reputation.

If you look what makes Bath strong in physics or pharmacy, it is that reputation for research quality.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-physics
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-pharmacy
Original post by Zenomorph
That means it makes more sense to re-brand it as the ' top 100 after 60 ' meaning 1960, then at least its contents will be more consistent and the tables will have more practical use.

I think you are right.
Reply 31
The new rankings are out.

Best UK 4 are York, Warwick, Lancaster and UEA.
The new rankings are out.

Best UK 4 are York, Warwick, Lancaster and UEA.

Obviously "under 50" includes those who are exactly 50
Reply 33
Obviously "under 50" includes those who are exactly 50

Yeah I guess UEA and York's 50th must be after June.

At this rate by 2023, it'll be the top 60 under 50. LOL.
Reply 34
What a load of rubbish.

I don't think anyone will use this league table when deciding where to apply. Unless someone had a fifth application they weren't sure where to put, it might sway them to apply to York.

Usless and unhelpful. Sorry. And the McDonald's comment above was funny :smile:
Reply 35
Where's phil batty. btw people have to remember this is a global list not just a UK one
Where's phil batty. btw people have to remember this is a global list not just a UK one

Phil's going to be joining us from 11am - and will be staying on the site until midday. In the meantime, here's our article on the new rankings: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=809-UK-slips-in-league-table-of-top-new-universities

You can add your questions now on anything you'd like to know about the uni rankings :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by kikimckenzie
When are the new rankings published? On or before the 20th?

They are out now! http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013/one-hundred-under-fifty
Reply 38
Original post by Jam'
What a load of rubbish.

I don't think anyone will use this league table when deciding where to apply. Unless someone had a fifth application they weren't sure where to put, it might sway them to apply to York.

Usless and unhelpful. Sorry. And the McDonald's comment above was funny :smile:

We vehmently disagree and the tens of thousands of web hits we're receiving suggests many others dissagree with you. Of course the UK's ancient and victorian institutions offer some fantastic courses, but there are an exciting new generation of universities doing great things - indeed, some can offer a far better student experience. They are usually smaller, and much more focussed on key areas of research strength with real-world applications, and allow students to thrive in intensive learning environments where they can truly interact and work with leading professors.
Your view is extraordinarily narrow-minded. Hong Kong UST, for example, is one of the best sci & tech institutions in the world. York, in 7th place in the world, has some of the finest English research in the UK. Students will miss out if they narrow their options too much.
Reply 39
I think now all universities especially in the UK are the top, even Kingston because all the universities nowadays need ABB for most of the courses , everything is becoming competitive which means the universities are all high ranked

Latest

Trending

Trending