The Student Room Group

Introduce basic algebra at seven, argues study

Scroll to see replies

I think it's more important to develop the way they think as opposed to being able to do something. Education is becoming too much about rules and too little about thinking in my opinion.

This basically sums up my opinion:

Reply 21
Original post by Slumpy
What are number bonds to 10?

I didn't know what they were before looking into all of this, but its the basic recognition of adding small numbers without having to work it out.

Eg, I know that 7=1+6 = 3+4 = 5+2 etc..

I didn't have to work those out.
Reply 22
Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom
Okay, you are somewhat right but I have doubts about this. On one hand it is like critical thinking skills as maths requires logical thinking, however math does not help you work out if something is propaganda or how to see if someones arguments are flawed. Like how would knowing how to do math help you work out if religion is bullsht or not.

Well for Maths you kind of accept some given rules are true and you use them to work out if other things are true. So in terms of a religion argument, if the foundations are wrong then the answer is wrong.
Reply 23
Original post by YThursday
I didn't know what they were before looking into all of this, but its the basic recognition of adding small numbers without having to work it out.

Eg, I know that 7=1+6 = 3+4 = 5+2 etc..

I didn't have to work those out.

I always have to work them out.
Original post by JackH12
Well for Maths you kind of accept some given rules are true and you use them to work out if other things are true. So in terms of a religion argument, if the foundations are wrong then the answer is wrong.

But religion is so complex in its propaganda techniques that it takes more than math skills to debunk. It uses psychological and emotional techniques to brainwash people, it makes straw men of people who don't believe like saying all atheists are evil, it uses authority, it is based on paranormal and other things that cant be proved, it flat out lies about evidence, it encourages people not to question their faith, and all other kinds of BS things.
Reply 25
Original post by JackH12
What do you mean? I had to change that as it didn't make complete sense.

Which bit are you replying to?

Original post by TenOfThem
Knowing the numbers that bond to make 10

1, 9
2, 8
3, 7
4, 6
5, 5

Ah. Don't think I've heard of that!

Okay, you are somewhat right but I have doubts about this. On one hand it is like critical thinking skills as maths requires logical thinking, however math does not help you work out if something is propaganda or how to see if someones arguments are flawed. Like how would knowing how to do math help you work out if religion is bullsht or not.

That's pretty much the essence of much of pure maths. Also much of stats is incredibly useful there.
Original post by Slumpy

Ah. Don't think I've heard of that!

But you know them?

By heart or instinctively?
Reply 27
But religion is so complex in its propaganda techniques that it takes more than math skills to debunk. It uses psychological and emotional techniques to brainwash people, it makes straw men of people who don't believe like saying all atheists are evil, it uses authority, it is based on paranormal and other things that cant be proved, it flat out lies about evidence, it encourages people not to question their faith, and all other kinds of BS things.

Woah that's a bit far haha. I get what you mean though, its harder to debate but there are some similar skills. There are some philosophical arguments that are quite good and its good fun to debate things. Are you Atheist? You might find Buddhism quite interesting as they have a more realistic view on life but you got to admit life is weird.
Reply 28
But you know them?

By heart or instinctively?

Tbh, I don't even know these days. I don't remember so much of my early maths education, it's a bit of a shame. I don't believe I learnt such 'bonded numbers', but if not, I'm not sure how the basics of addition were done...
Original post by JackH12
Woah that's a bit far haha. I get what you mean though, its harder to debate but there are some similar skills. There are some philosophical arguments that are quite good and its good fun to debate things. Are you Atheist? You might find Buddhism quite interesting as they have a more realistic view on life but you got to admit life is weird.

Yeah I'm atheist, I hate religion with a passion, can't you tell? :smile: I'm not into Budhism as it talks about Karma and there is no evidence for it at all.
Reply 30
Yeah I'm atheist, I hate religion with a passion, can't you tell? :smile: I'm not into Budhism as it talks about Karma and there is no evidence for it at all.

I am not too keen on religion either. I like Buddhism, not as a religion as its presented really bad. By rebirth they mean that when we die parts of our body carry on. Karma is to do with your mind as the more negative stuff you do the more negative you think and it affects the way you think in the future. Sorry if that bored you.
Original post by JackH12
I am not too keen on religion either. I like Buddhism, not as a religion as its presented really bad. By rebirth they mean that when we die parts of our body carry on. Karma is to do with your mind as the more negative stuff you do the more negative you think and it affects the way you think in the future. Sorry if that bored you.

You didn't bore me no. There's a lot of different views on Karma though, like if I found an iPhone and kept it instead of giving it back to the owner, then I would receive negative karma and this would come back and bite me in the future, which is just not the case. Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people, your life isn't dictated by some mystical rules. Karma is also subjective, I mean what is good, and what is bad? Is it bad to steal to feed your starving family? People also want to think bad people will face consequences for their actions and themselves benefited for doing good things, and so karma is appealing in that sense. Anyway Im rambling.
Reply 32
You didn't bore me no. There's a lot of different views on Karma though, like if I found an iPhone and kept it instead of giving it back to the owner, then I would receive negative karma and this would come back and bite me in the future, which is just not the case. Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people, your life isn't dictated by some mystical rules. Karma is also subjective, I mean what is good, and what is bad? Is it bad to steal to feed your starving family? People also want to think bad people will face consequences for their actions and themselves benefited for doing good things, and so karma is appealing in that sense. Anyway Im rambling.

To be honest you already think like a Buddhist as you are right a lot of what we think are good and bad are subjective. We base our life on getting whats good so by what you said (which I agree with) then we cause our own upset when we can't have what we want or lose what we like. If you picked up a phone that isn't yours the reason you would get negative karma is because of your motivation. If you steal it you believe you can benefit in some way, so you believe there is an 'identity' whereas your mind thinks there is someone that can benefit. You are reinforcing something that isn't true so cause yourself to suffer. It's really deep and I used to think that but karma is a very very deep topic and even I don't fully understand it. On the surface Buddhism sounds like crap. Einstein thought a lot of similar stuff. You sound like you know what your on about anyway.
I do not suggest otherwise, did you read the first line of my post?

Sorry, I was skim reading. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending